close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Hunterjbb, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

Ok.. looking to purchase a new rifle.

Use: North american big game up to and maybe Black Bear
    type : bolt action.
    Caliber: ???
    Barrel length 24"

Own a 30.06.. pump 760 gamemaster.. Had a .270(gave it to my brother)

I was looking for something other then the 06.. nothing smaller then the .270.. i'm a pretty good shot.

open for suggestions, was looking at a .300 win mag..

Thanks
    Jeff.

2. noway

noway

I would say get a .270win model rifle. You have a 30-06 and it is surely more than enough for any lower 48states black bear. The .270 has taken alot of game animals and once I remember reading that this wincheter offering and in the heavier weights (130gr + ) have harvest big elk and bears and is one of the most common hunting round outside of the .30cal for taken the lower 48states game minus the moose.

Don't get into that crowd that you must have a .300 win-magnum to kill a bear or deer. You hit them with the right load, it's going down.

3. ucsdryder

ucsdryder

No need for a 300 win mag in the lower 48, go with a .270 if you don't want an .06. Don't know why anybody would need anything other than an .06 for hunting.;g .257 Roberts is a great deer cartridge, but it obviously is smaller than a .270.

My .02

GM

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Why something other than 06?

For less hot, get the .308.
    For more hot, get the .300win mag.

5. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

I know you said .270 the limit, so what about a .280 Rem, Its a good round, and has a good bullet size.

Or you could try something different and look for a .35 Whelen.

I wouldnt get a .300 mag if you already have a 30-06, I would step up and get a .338 Win Mag. Or a .375 H&H Mag.

I shoot a 7mm Remington mag, and its to much for alot of things, but it works for everything.

6. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

The more research I do.. things keep leading back to the 06 all the time.. ;f One thing i wanted also was something that would be decent out to 400 yds..bout the max distance i'd ever think on shooting.

I really do like it because of the versitility.. had thought about a 7mm mag, always wanted one. but i'm not overly impressed with the round.. the .300 has had some interest also, although i don't think it's a great improvement over the .06..

gave some consideration to the .375 but unless i started to seriously reload it i think it's way to much.. the .338 has interest.. a freind says that's a nice round.. but again for deer or similar it's to much.. How about the 25-06..

well.. hmmm.. maybe i'll have to go get me a tac driver of a .270 again.. or maybe one in .06

Has anyone shot a Savage in .270 ?? I need a slightly shorter length in the stock..or Ruger?..

Never thought of the .280 or anything like that.. I think i want to stay with the mainstream stuff..

thanks for the input guys.. so far i think your confirming what i thought.. for what i'm going to hunt i just don't need anything bigger then the .06..

thanks again.

7. ucsdryder

ucsdryder

I have a winchester model 70 30.06, pre 1964 (I believe), it's an amazing rifle. No problem out to ~400 yards. I had a buddy that had a savage .06 and it was a giant POS. .280 might be something to look into, .25-06 is too small and fast for most big game. I also have a Browning .270 semi-auto that is a blast to hunt mulies in the high desert.

8. noway

noway

{Has anyone shot a Savage in .270 ??}

Yeap the 116 w/26" barrel (IIRC), it was okay but nowhere as good as my Winchester model 70. The savage in general are a fair to good affordable rifle. I don't know about getting anything shorter than 24" and still using the 270win if you are asking for something shorter than what you orginally posted. You are loosing alot of velocitiy if you get to short and dropping alot of the potentional that a 270win can give you. But the 270 can do deer , bear and even moose but I wouldn't use it for that.

As far as 400yrds it could be doable but not in my hands. I don't feel comfortable shooting anything with a clean kill out past 200yrds. To be quite frank I never shot mine past 150yrds on the target range and never intend to hunt anything past 100yrds. Most game animals that I would hunt are easily within 100yrds or 150yrds tops.

You're -06 is more than enough if you can stand the pounding it has. I IMHO would stay away from the 280. Not alot of bullets selection available for this. Now if you want a 28ish caliber get the 7mm (284 ) and be done with it. A little bit more recoil but a bigger selection of bullets and heavier weights than let's say a 270win.

9. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

I talked to my best friend last night and he said if your gonna jump up to a bigger round the only way to go would be to the .375. Figures you could reload it down but if you had a chance to do a dangerous game hunt you'd have a round you could do it with.. makes sense to me..

So my Uncle and my dad both have (had in uncles case) pre 64 win mod 70's.. in 06. My aunt sold my unlces on his death before i could convince her to sell it to me.. and my Dad's is willed to me, although i hope that's not for many years..

So.. looks like i'm going to get me another 270win.. I've had more one shot kills with the one i did have then my 06.. so.now to decide on what brand..back to the gun shop..

4.5 x 14 leupold.. should top it nicely.

thanks for the info guys.

Jeff.

10. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Whichever caliber you choose, buy a Tikka instead of a Winny or Remmy. Much better rifle; not more money.

11. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Ditto on the Tikka... it's a great rifle for the money.

As for caliber, why fix it, if it ain't broke? IOW, it may be 98 years old, but the '06 is still the most versatile caliber out there.

12. DonD

DonD

While you absolutely cannot go wrong with a 30-06, I do like to use large bores and load them down. That gives you incredible versatility. Don

13. akbound

akbound

Hi Hunterjbb,

Unless there is something wrong with your 760 I'm not sure why you'd want another "similar calibered" rifle for deer (or maybe bear) hunting. Just wanting one is good enough reason by itself. But for the stated uses I doubt the bolt action will do much in the hunting woods that the 760 won't do.

Actually your suggestion about the .25-06 Remington might not be a bad one. With the right bullet selection it is more than enough for any deer or black bear and with lighter more frangible bullets it makes a superior, (even if somewhat heavy), long range varmint/predator rifle.

For only deer hunting and lighter game the .243 Winchester isn't a bad choice either. And doubles as a varmint rifle even more readily.

If you're looking for something just as a tack driver than the appropriate bolt in either .308 Winchester or the .223 Remington have plenty of loads that qualify. Plus they both have the advantage of inexpensive surplus ammo being common. And while the .223 is very inexpensive to shoot and practice with, and a great varmint round, it is lacking considerably as a really good all around deer cartridge.

At any rate as I said earlier, just wanting one is reason enough. Have fun selecting your new rifle, good luck!

Dave

14. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

Yep.. think you hit it on the head, I really just want one. I love my 760 it's great weapon.. I've just been toying with the idea of a larger caliber weapon then what i have, but now realize that i'm not likely to hunt game that warrants a heavy caliber..

So I think i'll get a bolt gun to use, top it with good optics and a nice bipod and go from their.

25.06 is the minimum i would consider, as you know in PA you have to use .25 caliber or bigger and i think i'll stick to those and above.

I've never liked the .308 don't ask why, just never been impressed with them. 7mm mag has always been a thought but i think i'm going to get a 24" barreled. .270win.. and see how small I can make the groups go :)

Thanks everyone for you insights, it's been much appreciated.

Jeff.

15. USPcompact

USPcompact

Yep. The T3 is one sweet rifle for the price. You can do alot worse for alot more.

16. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Have you considered the Remington 673 in .350 Remmy Magnum?

It's a modernized 650/660 carbine. Short, handy, large bored and will whack anything you hit short of maybe an elephant. I don't know about 400 yard shots not having fired one, but it's probably good for 200-250 at the minimum.

The one I handled felt good in teh hand, and snapped to the shoulder really easily. It also has good iron sights.

17. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

18. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

shooting out to 400 yards more often than not id go with .300win mag

if money were no object id personally like to own a .338RUM

19. akbound

akbound

MrMurphy,

I have a 673 in .350 Remington Magnum. It's both a good shooter and it handles well. I'd feel completely confident in taking a shot on live game to at least 300 yards with the right load and under the correct circumstances.

Nice rifle, great caliber!

Dave

20. LovemyGlock's

LovemyGlock's