close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new riffle

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by medcraft, Feb 12, 2003.

1. medcraft

medcraft

i am looking for a new riffle that will both be a deer hunting riffle and a target riffle..In Minnesota a .223 is not large enough to hunt deer...what caliber would you recomend?

thanx

2. Vitamin_p19

Vitamin_p19

I'd say a .308 or 30-06. the winchester .300 is pretty nice as well to shoot.
    pete

3. hoagie55

hoagie55

First off you want to decide on the caliber. Are you hunting strictly deer with this rifle or is there a possibility of hunting elk, caribo, bear, coyote, etc...

For arguements sake let's say you are going for deer alone. The next question is how much of a kick can you handle, how big of a boy are you. Since there are numerous calibers that will take a deer down you need to decide what kind of shot you are taking as well. How long, the terrain, etc.. I would stick with 243, 260, 270, 280, 30.06, or 7mm-08. If you are taking really long shots then perhaps a 7mm mag.

The 30.06 has your largest ammo choice followed by 270, then 7mm mag. With the 243, 260, 280, and 7mm-08 you are limited choices for ammo. For a first rifle for deer I would probably go with a 243.

Now you need to decide what style/action rifle you want, lever action, bolt action, or semi-auto. In my experience the most accurate is bolt followed by lever then semi. I would suggest a bolt action for a first rifle as well. Easier to clean and easy to get familiar with. You also need to decide what type of stiock you want, wood or synthetic. I prefer wood for no good reason. I ahve had both, but just prefer a wood stock.

With that said, you need to decide how much you want to spend. There are many different manufacturers of rifles out there, Remington, Ruger, Browning, Tikka, and Savage to name a few. For the least expensive I would go with the Savage combo, smooth action and very accurate out of the box. The most expensive would be the Browning A-Bolt. I've always wanted one, but haven't save up enough money to get one. Good in-between models are Remington, Ruger, and Tikka. I have been intrigued with Tikka, but have not had a chance to try one out yet. I have shot Remingtons, Rugers, and Savages and can attest to all of them being good solid rifles. I have a soft spot for Ruger Mark II rifles, but have also owned Remingtons.

After that you need to get good optics. You will want to spend around $200 for a quality scope. You can get a Leupold Vari X-I, Burris Fulfield II, or Nikon Buckmaster in this price range. All are very good scopes, but I would go with the Leupold.

Now, once you've decided on a rifle and optics, you need to get several different types of ammo to see which shoots the best ouot of your rifle and then go to the range and try it out.

Good luck and let us know what setup you choose.

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Simple answer. .308

It is plenty for deer, and enough for some larger animals, and not too much for target shooting.

Also is common and typically inexpensive relative to some other calibers.

5. Scott H

Scott H Guest

A Sharps rifle in 45-70 can be used for both.

[​IMG]

6. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

7. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

I have never heard of a riffle, what do they do? ;) ;m

Seriously.. I'd say .308 just 'cause the m-1 come in that now, and they look way cool all tricked out. Same for the FAL and clones..