New reload success

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Billy_Ray, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Billy_Ray

Billy_Ray

I wanted to share with everyone that I fired off my first reloads yesterday. I reloaded 4 groups of 10 rounds following the recipe below:

9 mm - mixed HS cases
    Wolf primers (SPP)
    Hodgdon HS-6 powder @ 6.0, 6.2, 6.4 and 6.6
    124 gr FMJ (from Montana Gold)
    COAL - 1.13 for all rounds

All of the reloads cycled the action, but I did have one failure to feed (with the 6.2 charge). I did not have any accuracy issues but I was also shooting offhand so I probably would not have noticed it.

So now I have 2 questions:

1. All of the casings had a mark at the neck of the case (as shown in the picture below). What is causing this, I definitely have never seen this before with my gun (Glock 17).
    View attachment 189994

View attachment 189995
    2. Is there an advantage to further developing this load if I am satisfied with the load at 6.4 grains of powder? For instace shoul I adjust the COAL? These will be used for target shooting, not competitions.

Thank you for your help,
    Billy Ray

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Ya done good for a guy with a 'mullet'. :supergrin:

If you want some of the more, ah... 'mature' members of the group to be able to see those pictures you're gonna have to make them bigger... even zooming in really didn't help.

As far as your accuracy is concerned your really the only judge of that. If you're happy with it then who's to say otherwise but don't overlook the advantage of loading vs factory. You have the ability to develop loads for optimum accuracy out of a particular gun.

May I suggest that you shoot some groups off of a sandbag rest... maybe 2 or 3 different loadings. You may find that your current loading is the most accurate... then again you may find that a different loading closes your group by 50%.

Playing around is half the fun of loading. Either way... good job. Have fun.

Jack

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

First, congratulations! I tested a few Montana Golds today myself...

The cases got beat up a bit, but did the primers look ok?

Up to you if you want to try different stuff with that combo... this sounds like a target / practice round, so I would stay on the lower end (or at least give yourself some room below max - have to remember it's cold out this time of year and they will go a bit faster when it's hot) and if the accuracy was good I'd leave it be. Numbers from a chronograph will help you understand what's going on a bit better.

Edited to add: Just saw you're in Atlanta... temp might not be a big deal.

4. dudel

dudel

Ya done good.

Hard to see exactly what mark you mean from the pictures.

Check your accuracy with a clean barrel and a rest (or steady bench). Once it's accurate enough for your purposes, you can stop there, and load up on those specific components and stock them high and deep.

It's unusual to find the guns best load on the first try (but it has been done). Further experimenting with different charges, powders and projectiles might find a better load; but it's also going to cost more money.

If you're happy with the load, start cranking them out and stocking up.

5. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Good deal!
    Congrats :thumbsup:

Your pics zoomed open when I clicked on em?

Bob

6. Billy_Ray

Billy_Ray

I should have mentioned in the original post that I am planning to stick with the 6.4 load. This one felt right to me and "seemed" the most accurate. It is also in the middle/lower end of the range of powder charge depending on what source I use. The primers looked fine for all charges, not flattening or cratering.

As for temperature I usually shoot inside, but I do some shooting outside as well. I am also planning to buy a chrono when I get a little extra money lying around.

Thank you for your input,
    Billy Ray

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

You can see 'em because you have good eyesight whereas my strong point is enhanced virility.

I don't need to see things... I can feel my way around.:whistling:

Jack

8. Billy_Ray

Billy_Ray

Does anyone have thoughts on the marks near the mouth of the case?

9. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Congrats!

WRT the marks, I just checked several of my spent cases and didn't see any marks like the ones that you have. Not sure what's causing it and I don't like guessing & posting. Hopefully one of our seasoned reloaders can shed some light on that one.

I found it odd that you had a failure to feed with 6.2 gr. I've gone as low as 6.0 gr with HS-6 without any problems in my G34. Obviously different guns will perform differently. But 6.2 is still comfortably above the starting load. I would not expect you to have a problem there. I only raise the point because of the issue with the marks. I wonder if the failure to feed was just another symptom of something that needs to be fine tuned. Did you save the case of the previous round (one prior to the failure to feed)?

I noticed you decided to try the Wolf primers :supergrin: Do you have plenty of small pistol primers now? If not, you may want to call Bulls Eye. They had some Wolf primers on Weds. Didn't see the powder you wanted though.

10. irishman001

irishman001

congrats on your first reloads. I just shot my first reloads a few weeks ago. Man it feels good when the gun goes bang and you have all fingers and eyeballs. I am hooked now.

Not sure about the cases, I'm sure someone will come along soon that will know what that is. If I had to guess I would have to say that it was caused by the casing hitting the concrete, but thats just a newb guess.

11. Billy_Ray

Billy_Ray

Yeah, after your advice and reading some more about SPP I decided Wolf woudl be fine. I got 2K SPP and 1K LPP from Dixie Ammo Dump and I got the HS-6 at Bass Pro Shop after I could not find W231 anywhere in town after calling a half dozen places that are supposed to be dealers with Winchester powders.

I was concerned that the I did not have enough crimp and as the case hits the feed ramp it caused the marks.

12. PBKing

PBKing

Good Job

For future reference Win231 is exactly the same as Hodgdon HP-38
    I see a chronograph in your future.
    How did you determine your crimp?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  13. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I just returned from Bulls Eye this morning. They have about 6k Wolf SPP, 10k Wolf SRP, and 3k Win LRP left (1k less than they had before my visit :supergrin:). No W231 powder or HS-6.

WRT your concern on the crimp, I've not heard of a light crimp causing that problem. What I have seen is that a light crimp can result in the bullet getting pushed into the case while the round is getting chambered.

14. Billy_Ray

Billy_Ray

I am going to load up another 100+ rounds of this load at 6.4 grains of powder and make sure the accuracy and functionality are still acceptable. I will also recheck for marks on the cases and report back.

BTW I am planning to shoot at the steel plate match at the Griffin Gun Club next Saturday, my first competition.

Billy Ray

15. tjpet

tjpet

Ditch the 231 idea and get some WST. It's much cleaner burning and superbly accurate in the 9mm. With your MG 124s try 4.5-5.0grns. for a solid, standard velocity load.

The marks on your fired cases are probably from the empties hitting the ground, maybe a concrete floor?. Could be striking something on the slide, too, but either way it's no big deal.

I load all my 115, 124, and 147grn. slugs to 1.150" OAL. They feed smoother and the length helps to keep pressures in check when you're running the round hot.

Being you've got HS-6 on hand try 7.0grns. with your 124s for a service/SD level loading. Good velocity and power to spare for social encounters.

16. Justincase

Justincase

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but about the scrape on the brass:

I can’t tell you what is causing the scraps on the brass because I don’t know, what I can tell you is what I have seen in my own experience.

I have this issue with two G19 in the family, both new gen 3 guns, one with 1500 thru it and the other 250 (need to get the press cranked up and shoot more)

This happens with wwb, federal, and blazer brass 115 gr.target load, and with a assortment of SD ammo.
    I have only shot new commercial ammo in these guns. (So far)

Seem to happen more with target ammo.

Does not happen consistently.

Sometimes a heavy scrape, sometimes light, and sometimes not at all (in the majority of cases)

It is not caused by hitting the ground, being steeped on or hitting anything at the range, walls etc.

Clean rounds go in the gun, scraped brass comes out.

The scrape is located at the 11clock or 4 clock judging by the primer strike, i.e. 180-degree difference, I really need to mark the brass beforehand to make sure what end is up. (Test needed)

On top it could be hitting the barrel hood, on the bottom could be the edge of the ejection port on the slide, I really don’t know, I don’t see enough brass shaving to tell, then again I wasn’t really looking for that at the time.

The more accurate I shoot the less or no scraping occurs, this could indicate that hold and grip could have something to do with it. This I have seen to be true with 2 different shooters of either gun.

This may indicate that recoil, force of ejection is a factor.

Round count (break in) of the gun does not seem to make a difference so far. (But really round count is low at this point so only time will tell)

Hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge can help explain what is going on.

17. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Did you have to clean any brass off of the side of your ejection port? Might be dinging the slide on the way out.

18. PBKing

PBKing

I am not faulting the crimp , I was just curious as this is a trouble area for new handloaders. Also IME HS6 performs better on the high end..seals better and cleaner to.

19. Billy_Ray

Billy_Ray

I didn't have any on the side of my ejection port but I did have some inside the slide.

Thank you,
    Billy Ray

20. Billy_Ray

Billy_Ray

Thank you for your thoughts. I did have some brass in the gun when I went to clean it yesterday. I loaded up another 80 rounds and will be goint to the range on Tuesday to give them a whirl. I will report back if I have problems.

Billy Ray