Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an acquaintance ask to borrow a .22 rifle and handgun so he and his kids could go shooting. I explained that I do not loan guns but I would love to take him and his kids out sometime. He turned up the pressure and I told him that there were several reasons but in the end it was a liability issue. If anyone were injured it will come back to me because I own the guns. He again turned up the pressure to borrow the guns and I said lets go and I will help you pick out a couple and you can buy them. He said he did not want to buy any guns but the reason floored me.

This guy has a nice house, cars, a cabin, A boat, ATVs and snowmobiles. He is not hurting for cash. The reason he won't buy a gun is that he can't find a way to write it off as a business expense. Every thing he owns is a write off for his company. I.E. He takes clients snowmobiling at the cabin when their contracts come up for renewal so it is a business expense.

I have heard of some weird reasons to not own guns but this one was new to me.

·
Semper Paratus
408 Posts
I find it a bit odd that he cares more about the business expense part over the safety of his kids and your legal well being...

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find it a bit odd that he cares more about the business expense part over the safety of his kids and your legal well being...
I find him odd period. He is the epitome of cheapskate. He knows how to make money but hasn't a clue about how to live.

·
Registered
30,260 Posts
I do loan guns to friends buy I definately wouldn't loan a gun to that guy for a number of reasons. The first being I don't think he would handle the gun safely.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
So it never occurred to him that he could start taking his clients hunting?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am a pastor and considered self-employed for tax purposes. I can take some write offs that others can't. Do you think I can get a tax write off for my guns for all the "shotgun" weddings I could do?

One more reason for a flat tax.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,540 Posts
So he won't drop $200 for a ruger or marlin because it's not tax deductable?

GET A LIFE!!!

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,540 Posts
I do loan guns to friends buy I definately wouldn't loan a gun to that guy for a number of reasons. The first being I don't think he would handle the gun safely.
100+

Especially if he's taking his kids out shooting!!!

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
Ya never know when a polar bear might emerge while snowmobiling...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Use to shoot with a guy like that, he wrote guns off since he might take someone shooting(1 of them being a several thousand dollar krieghoff), new boat i take clients out on it, new truck to pull said boat since his F150 wasnt big enough to pull it. People like this will laugh till the auditor shows up

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
Use to shoot with a guy like that, he wrote guns off since he might take someone shooting(1 of them being a several thousand dollar krieghoff), new boat i take clients out on it, new truck to pull said boat since his F150 wasnt big enough to pull it. People like this will laugh till the auditor shows up
Depending on the business, guns (reasonable ones at least) can be a legitimate business expense.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Since he's only an acquaintance, i'd have told him to F-off the 2nd time he "applied pressure".

·
IYAAYWOT
3,516 Posts
Depending on the business, guns (reasonable ones at least) can be a legitimate business expense.
No reason why the gun would not be a legitimate business expense, especially if he deals with cash and other valuables. Someone's got to make the bank deposit, right? Take a Sec. 179 deduction and fully depreciate the entire expense in the year of acquisition.

·
Grape flavored!
810 Posts
He may think he's real clever.

Then he'll get audited and all the recreational "business expenses" will be declared "fraud", which allows the IRS to go back beyond just 3 years and audit those returns too.

The penalties and interest will wipe him out.

I know someone it happened to. It's not a joke.

·
IYAAYWOT
3,516 Posts
I am a pastor and considered self-employed for tax purposes. I can take some write offs that others can't. Do you think I can get a tax write off for my guns for all the "shotgun" weddings I could do?

One more reason for a flat tax.
I'm a pastor as well. In my experience, it is always the father of the bride that has the shotgun. Mine is just a Kel Tec PF-9 in an ankle holster for weddings.

·
Can you hear me
3,287 Posts
:faint:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts