New Rawhide / Awful Farts!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by WERA49, Jul 12, 2005.

1. WERA49

WERA49

I bought some Dentley's Chewrite rawhide for my Greyhound. Two of the three are flavored. He loves them, but I can't stand the awful stench that he makes after eating them. Just so you understand, it is much worse than any skunk spray that I've smelled.

I'll have to experiment to find something that works better for me, not for him! :)

He's a great dog. One month and counting..... ;f

Have any of you ran into a similar situation?

2. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

Yes. Certain treats, even too many treats will give pooches gas and/or worse. I suggest changing/reducing treats... lest your eyes burn perpetually and your house smell offensive.

Rawhide seems to do this more so than other treats. Try getting some bones from the butcher or local grocery. Ask the meat guys. You want UNcooked, UNsmoked, RAW bones... preferably, 'knuckle' bones (the top and ball of a cow leg) and/or femur-type bones. Pork meat and bones can give dogs the squirts.

Just gradually train the dog to chew on these messy, bloody things on an old rug or in their crate. They love this stuff, its good for them, and your gas problem may cease.

Cooked/smoked bones are BAD because the bones, being dry, are more brittle and will crack and produce bone splinters that can and will choke/kill your dog. Raw bones simply grind away gradually and are a top source of calcium (plus all the benefits of the marrow locked inside!). Rawhides should NEVER be given to a dog that is unsupervised... rawhide, as you know, is hard for dogs to swallow, and they can choke/die from this stuff as well. I've known dogs who've died from choking on rawhide!

3. QUEENGLOCK

QUEENGLOCK

i have 3 labs and i have gone through many a raw hide trying to find out which ones give them gas and which ones don't. to me they all give them terrible gas!!i know what your talking about. they can be white,smoked or help with the breath, they all make you leave the room. don't laugh but after they chew on one i give them mallox chewable tablets and it helps, 4 or 5 a piece.

4. ProfMoriarty

ProfMoriarty

Pound down some beer and peanuts and give him a taste of his own medicine.

5. WERA49

WERA49

LOL! :)

A guy that I used to work with would be better than me. I always dreaded the day after his "Dart night". He likes beer and boiled eggs. He could peel paint with his farts! ;)

6. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

7. drkyte

drkyte Silver Member

Greyhounds are noted for their gas. Try giving them plain yogurt a couple time a week. It helps keep it down.

Joe

8. WERA49

WERA49

That's the first time that I've heard that.

It's not been a problem for quite a while. However, pigs ears can cause LOUD farts! He makes me laugh. :)

BTW, I rarely give him pigs ears.

9. drkyte

drkyte Silver Member

We have three greys. We work with a rescue group. Is your dog a retired racer?

10. WERA49

WERA49

Yes. I got him from www.teamgreyhound.com . They were fantastic to deal with. He's an excellent dog. :)

11. drkyte

drkyte Silver Member