New Python, Lost its bite?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by PattonWasRight, Jan 12, 2020.

1. CajunBass

CajunBass

That's been my experience also, although you've fired yours more than I have. I'm up to about 240 or so rounds, and the only problem has been a dud cartridge. (Yes, it was a dud. It failed to fire after three strikes, including one in S/A. That meets my definition of a "dud.") I've also dry fired it several hundred times with the same results. No problems.

I'm pretty happy with mine, and am thinking seriously about getting a 4" one when they finally show up.

2. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Really, that's not accurate. Of the 2000, we don't know how many are sitting in gun safes unshot, or on dealer shelves, or have had issues that Colt either hasn't yet heard about or isn't responding to. Or how many people just aren't talking about their problem publicly.

A better metric would be out of the number shot significantly, how many have had issues?

What we really have is 2 defective out of an unknown population. Could be 2 of 100 or 2 of every 10.

But the odds of the only two defective guns making it to two gun review channels (probably a generous description for GoldenWebb but whatever) is not very high.

R_P_K_, Terry G, Joshhtn and 3 others like this.
  3. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Sorry, but that "logic" doesn't work. At least for me. When Ford sells a car with defective parts they don't issue a recall based on how many miles are driven.
    You can't assume vast numbers of people bought a production $1500 revolver to NOT shoot. My guess would be that most of them are being enjoyed at the range by their owners. The only fact that we have is that 2000 were sold and 2 were returned for mechanical problems.To come up with random guesses (2 out of 10) is wrong.

Even in the worst case, Colt might have a part that was produced out of tolerance and a batch got away from them. Certainly not the end of the world. They will fix it and Python owners will end up with a very nice revolver. Arguably better than the original.

It's sad seeing so many people eager to jump on the "bash the Python" bandwagon. I hope Colt turns out a solid product and sells a boatload of them. If they do, hopefully we'll see more variations, and maybe other manufacturers will want to get in on higher end models.

Capttjk likes this.
  4. SC Tiger

You missed my point completely. Here's what we know:

2000 were produced at Colt.
    At least two were defective for function.

What we don't know:
    How many of that 2000 are "safe queens"? I could see this gun being bought as a collector. I've heard people on this site say they were going to buy one (or more) and squirrel them away waiting on prices to rise.
    How many haven't been delivered to a customer yet? I admit - probably a very low number. But a number that we don't know.
    How many have a lower round count that Hickock45 put through his sample? Perhaps this is something that occurs over time.
    How many owners have had this issue and just haven't spoken up yet?
    So 2 of 2000 is likely not a true number. Hell, it might be. But I doubt it. 2 of 10 was obvious hyperbole on my part to make a point.

But in the end if you produce 2000 revolvers, one gets reviewed, and it has a failure, you damn well better have a good look at the other 1999 and see what happened and get ahold of that sample and see what happened. Because not every failed revolver is going to be on Youtube.

Personally I don't care either way. But 2/2000 is not necessarily representative of the issue. For Colt's sake hopefully it is.

Especially if you are a company that is on life support like Colt is.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  5. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Somehow I think Colt is following this closely. A LOT of guns fail during reviews. Even is vanilla reviews like American Rifleman. It's not always an indicator.
    The slide stop on my new $3400 Nighthawk was defective. They fixed it. The gun has been flawless. The ambi safety on my $3400 TGO1 came loose the instant I rode it shooting left handed. Springfield took it back and installed a Wilson Bullet Proof safety. It's been flawless since. I've owned lots of firearms and sometimes they weren't 100% out of the box.

I had a Kimber ultra that was a POS out of the box. I sent it back to Kimber, and almost 2 months later (after they insisted I waste 500 rounds) they sent it back to me with the same issues. No more Kimber for me.
    Defects can happen. How they are handled is what is most important.

chemboy and Capttjk like this.
  6. SC Tiger

I agree about how they are handled, but if a defective product gets out that has to be viewed as a failure. It's a frustration for the owner and additional cost for the company to get the product back in, diagnose, fix, and return it. Plus it costs customers. In today's world of online reviews and social media, it's even moreso.

What would really bug me on the Python thing is that it appears to be intermittent. Which means it is hard to diagnose and hard to know when you've fixed it, unless you can absolutely find a part out of spec. That effectively rules it out as an SD gun until you can prove it was fixed, and that can take a while.

Colt can't afford to screw this up. GoldenWebb indicated he had a hard time with Colt's CS but I don't know how seriously to take that honestly.

7. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

We don't know that it is intermittent. For all we know, Colt can narrow it down to a batch of parts. If they build to ISO standards, it should be easy for them to know what guns got what parts.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  8. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I was reading the article about the new King Cobra in the February issue of American Rifleman last night and noted at the bottom of page 52 the author said "..the trigger return hits a tiny bump about halfway through the release stroke. Semi-automatic shooters used to that sort of tactical cue might mistake that for trigger reset, but in order to reset and fully rotate the cylinder, the stroke must go completely forward".

I wonder if this may be part of the "problem". I gotta go look at the videos again, but kind of doubt that Hickock would make a boo-boo like that.

Capttjk and 72Cheyenne like this.
  9. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Though I really want a stainless Python I want to see what is done to fix it.

I have many 357 Magnum revolvers. But I have 7,8, and 5 rounders, not a 6 shooter, until today....
    [​IMG]
    S&W 586 357 Magnum 6 Round Revolver, No Dash, 1979.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Muzzleblast_MD (Instagram)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    R*E, Bus007, 45caldan and 5 others like this.
  10. FullClip

Nice unit....don't think you'll ever have any regret with that gun. Congratulations.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  11. bac1023

bac1023

Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

CDR_Glock likes this.
  12. Dr.Lou

Dr.Lou

I was just at SHOT where I fondled and fired the 4.25 and 6 inch Pythons. To my knowledge both examples survived thousands of rounds and pass during media day. Any troubles are likely due to a lack of testing. Colt didn’t start production until late November with a January 2 release. Not much time to shake out any bugs.

Here’s a cutaway if the new python lock work. It has 14 fewer parts than the original. 3A205FF0-2492-4CD6-B3F6-0063B8EE7447.png

gamecocks and Capttjk like this.
  13. SC Tiger

Possible but it won't be because if ISO. ISO is a bad joke in a lot of ways - or at least it is vastly overrated by the general public. ISO requires that a manufacturer follows a standard, documented process, and be able to show that they do this. Outside of a few requirements, it doesn't mean that they have to have a process in place to actually track which parts go into which guns. That's usually done at auto makers and where it is needed for regulatory issues. Colt could write an ISO process that says that they only have to test fire one in 1000 guns. As long as they can show that they do that, the're good as far as ISO is concerned.

Likely they track barrels and maybe cylinders. The things that are going to cause an injury if they fail. I doubt every individual part is tracked. But I don't know for sure on that, in all fairness.

Also - by "intermittent" I mean that a particular gun won't display the issue every time. I think Hickock45s didn't do it until something like 100+ rounds into the session. That makes troubleshooting a ***** because Colt isn't gonna run 100+ rounds through each gun.

That being said - IF they can find an obviously out-of-spec part that would cause this, they should be able to zero in on the root cause. Say a pin that is too short and isn't engaging a cam slot 100%, or a mismilled cam slot, or the pin isn't hard enough and wears down too fast.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    FullClip likes this.
  14. SC Tiger

Does that cutaway actually work (the lockwork - I don't see them actually firing that), or is it just a static example?

If you look at the design, right below the cylinder latch is a pin (or feature) on the cylinder hand that I believe rides in a groove in the frame (or sideplate I guess) and controls where that part goes. My guess is either the groove is mis-milled (too wide) or the pin is too short.

On that example the pin is in a hole, but that could be because an actual groove would obstruct other parts too much. But then again it looks like it's pinned to another piece of clear plastic.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  15. DrewBone

DrewBone

Many people revel in and are quick to point out the failure of others; it's easy to do and in their mind doing so renders their own inadequacies insignificant. There are also those people who often pooh-pooh things that they can't afford. I find both scenarios amusing, as most if not all who do the bashing do not possess anywhere near the intelligence nor the ability to manufacture anything, yet they're hyper critical of those who do(?); there are more than a few very accurate and discriptive words and phrases to describe those with this condition...

As I've stated earlier regarding this topic, Colt will make it right.

SpringerTGO likes this.
  16. FullClip

17. 0311INF

0311INF

Next time just give me the cliffs notes. I can't stand listening to this idiot.

45caldan, CajunBass and FullClip like this.
  18. 45caldan

45caldan

A clown with a youtube channel...

FullClip likes this.
  19. Terry G

Terry G

I'm fluent in Southern, so it has a greater impact. His Colts broke, and they won't fix it. They won't even speak to him without a translator.

Green Dragoon and FullClip like this.