Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Last year I was bored one Sunday so I drove over to the LGS to look around. There in the used section was a 100% mint unfired 1978 Wingmaster. There wasn’t a single mark on it.
No marks on the bluing on the magazine tube from it being pumped. Apparently someone got it as a present back then and just put it away unfired. And the best part was the price.
$199.00 plus tax . Love it . It just screams quality.
Now that WAS a great deal.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
That was a good price that you got it for . I like that the previous owner threaded the barrel for chokes . It makes it more versatile . IMO that is one of the best improvements they made from the older fixed choked guns . I thought about doing it to my old Browning , but the gunsmith said that he thought the barrel on them were to thin .

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Last year I was bored one Sunday so I drove over to the LGS to look around. There in the used section was a 100% mint unfired 1978 Wingmaster. There wasn’t a single mark on it.
No marks on the bluing on the magazine tube from it being pumped. Apparently someone got it as a present back then and just put it away unfired. And the best part was the price.
$199.00 plus tax . Love it . It just screams quality.
You legally stoled it🤗!

·
NRA Benefactor
5,734 Posts
Don't know about now, but used to be very easy to get different barrels for 870's.

Reactions: Kentucky Shooter

·
NRA Life Member
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Don't know about now, but used to be very easy to get different barrels for 870's.
They can be found, but dang they are high! The gun shop where I bought this gun had a new light contour barrel- $250. That’s simply too much unless you ruined a barrel and had no choice. Used ones are running expensive as well.

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
12,025 Posts
You won't find a current production Wingmaster in better condition than a 30 year old version.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,734 Posts
They can be found, but dang they are high! The gun shop where I bought this gun had a new light contour barrel- $250. That’s simply too much unless you ruined a barrel and had no choice. Used ones are running expensive as well.
Cheaper than getting another shotgun if the other barrel was for another purpose.

·
NRA Life Member
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Cheaper than getting another shotgun if the other barrel was for another purpose.
Still true, maybe, but I’m seeing new 870 barrels advertised as high as $350. Can still find an entire gun for that kinda money.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,734 Posts
Still true, maybe, but I’m seeing new 870 barrels advertised as high as $350. Can still find an entire gun for that kinda money.
If you can get a whole shotgun configured the way you want, then it would make sense. I have a LWRC REPR with a 20" barrel. I wanted to get a second upper with a 16" barrel, but they were more expensive than a complete Sig 716 with the 16" barrel. So I bought the Sig.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The 870 is infallible as long as you click each shell all the way into the magazine. I get used to a Winchester, then just carelessly stop a little short of click when loading, and have to take it down. My favorite shotgun is a little Wingmaster 20 gauge 26" that I wouldn't trade for anything. They are the Chevy truck of shotguns!

*Don't scalp me for saying "Chevy," if you like Ford's, just go to a Mossburg thread.
You nailed me there. I like Ford and Mossberg. Nothing wrong with a Chevy and Remington though.

I shot plenty of 870s at the PD. They were at least 30 years old when I left and probably had about 400 rounds per year put through them. They were pool guns so 25 rounds per course, 2 times a day, 4 days, twice a year. The only maintenance they ever needed was a cleaning.

Reactions: Bradley T

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
You nailed me there. I like Ford and Mossberg. Nothing wrong with a Chevy and Remington though.

I shot plenty of 870s at the PD. They were at least 30 years old when I left and probably had about 400 rounds per year put through them. They were pool guns so 25 rounds per course, 2 times a day, 4 days, twice a year. The only maintenance they ever needed was a cleaning.
I shouldn't have said that. I was really just kidding.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts