Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the early 1980’s I was doing a lot of bird (quail) hunting, and with a Wingmaster 870. That’s the gun in the picture with the quail, it was a 26” improved cylinder barrel. Like a fool, I later traded it off and regretted it ever since. At the time, money was tight and I wanted a turkey gun.

I was in my favorite gun shop a couple days ago and there was a Wingmaster just like it, except someone had truchokes installed. Made in the same era as my old bird gun. It’s not in perfect cosmetic shape but I got it to be a shooter. They were asking $300 and I couldn’t refuse. For the money, it’s the best option I’d found to get the bird gun of my youth back. My new purchase is in the bottom picture.
Wood Fish Shotgun Feather Air gun
Wood Road surface Automotive tire Flooring Floor

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
The 870 is infallible as long as you click each shell all the way into the magazine. I get used to a Winchester, then just carelessly stop a little short of click when loading, and have to take it down. My favorite shotgun is a little Wingmaster 20 gauge 26" that I wouldn't trade for anything. They are the Chevy truck of shotguns!

*Don't scalp me for saying "Chevy," if you like Ford's, just go to a Mossburg thread.

·
Registered
44,800 Posts
The 870 is infallible as long as you click each shell all the way into the magazine. I get used to a Winchester, then just carelessly stop a little short of click when loading, and have to take it down. My favorite shotgun is a little Wingmaster 20 gauge 26" that I wouldn't trade for anything. They are the Chevy truck of shotguns!

*Don't scalp me for saying "Chevy," if you like Ford's, just go to a Mossburg thread.

For future reference, pump the gun open and reach in through the extraction port with a screwdriver of solid pocket knife and slip the double hung shells, front one first, back into the magazine. Cycles normal again from there.

·
NRA Life Member
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, at the very least you've something to hold you over 'till you find exactly what you are looking for. Nice, btw!
thanks! The only thing I may keep an eye out for is a 26” improved barrel, in good shape, if I can find one that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

·
NRA Life Member
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would sell for more than $300 around here...
Ive seen them selling for much more, sometimes twice that. Like I said, up close and in good light you can see a few cosmetic flaws. And the tru chokes may hurt the value more than help it? But for a shooter and Hunter grade gun, it’s just what I wanted.

·
20,250 Posts
I love the old wingmasters. I used to have a couple of Wingmasters in both 12 and 20 gauge and a matching model 760 Gamemaster pump action rifle in 30-06 that was as accurate as most bolt actions and as fast handling as a semi-auto. Pump action rifles are one of the best kept secrets of the gun world. Hardly anybody knows how truly great they are. I wish they still made the IMI Timber wolf pump guns in 357 and 44 mag and the Taurus copy of the Colt Lightening in 357 and 45 Colt calibers. Even Savage made a pump rife for a while in 30-30 and 35 Remington.

·
Novice
1,715 Posts
My son carries my uncles Ithaca 37 for partiridge. That thing was made in 1940 and still puts birds in the bag. I love the old guns and honestly I just don't think they make new guns any better than these older guns. Glad you brought an old shooter back to the game!

·
NRA Life Member
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My son carries my uncles Ithaca 37 for partiridge. That thing was made in 1940 and still puts birds in the bag. I love the old guns and honestly I just don't think they make new guns any better than these older guns. Glad you brought an old shooter back to the game!
Thank you, and I agree. That Ithaca 37 is a sweet one for sure.

Just down the rack from my $300 Wingmaster was a whole line of new, black synthetic pump shotguns for the same money, a variety of brands, mostly made in Turkey or other imported places.

When price is the same or close, I’ll take the old classic guns any day.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Last year I was bored one Sunday so I drove over to the LGS to look around. There in the used section was a 100% mint unfired 1978 Wingmaster. There wasn’t a single mark on it.
No marks on the bluing on the magazine tube from it being pumped. Apparently someone got it as a present back then and just put it away unfired. And the best part was the price.
$199.00 plus tax . Love it . It just screams quality.

·
NRA Life Member
68,267 Posts
In the early 1980’s I was doing a lot of bird (quail) hunting. That’s the gun in the picture with the quail, it was a 26” improved cylinder barrel. Like a fool, I later traded it off and regretted it ever since. At the time, money was tight and I wanted a turkey gun.

I was in my favorite gun shop a couple days ago and there was a Wingmaster just like it, except someone had truchokes installed. Made in the same era as my old bird gun. It’s not in perfect cosmetic shape but I got it to be a shooter. They were asking $300 and I couldn’t refuse. For the money, it’s the best option I’d found to get the bird gun of my youth back. My new purchase is in the bottom picture. View attachment 982634 View attachment 982635
That was a good deal. These days you can't get a beat up old police trade-in for $300.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts