close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Pup

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by HSJREV, Dec 5, 2006.

1. HSJREV

HSJREV

We have a rescued Border Collie that has a crippled front leg and is extremely timid. She actually does pretty well as long as she's on our property, but any time we try to take her to the park or for a hike, she panics and just freezes up. She just lies down and refuses to walk so she's not much of a hiking companion. Our shelter lab-mix had severe hip displasia and he recently passed away and we decided to get a healthy dog from a breeder this time so we could have a dog that could go for hikes and would be a little better bad-guy deterent than our timid Border. We found a Dutch shepherd breeder near here that we really liked when we spent most of a day with them and this pup picked us at the end of the day. He was raised in a house with three cats so he gets along with ours and he seems pretty normal so far, something we're not used to at all with dogs. Meet Arno the six month old Long Haired Dutch Shepherd.

[​IMG]

2. CookieGirl

CookieGirl SE of Disorder

Welcome to the new family member! What a handsome fellow! My cousin has a short-haired Dutch shepherd! We refer to her as "Maggie, the 100 mile an hour dog." Hope you can run fast!

3. HSJREV

HSJREV

Thanks! The breeder told us that in general, the short haired versions tend to have more drive and energy and are used for police and protection work a lot. She said the long haired versions tend to be a little more laid back and are usually family dogs. Arno's a little frustrated because the cats still don't trust him enough to play with him yet.

4. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Beautiful markings!!

5. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

May God Bless You for Rescuing the Border Collie. :angel:
    Welcome to the Family Arno. :dog:

6. CookieGirl

They seem to be most excellent "care-taker" dogs. Maggie came to visit us this summer when my dad died and she was very busy keeping people company and rounding up the children who tended to scatter. She even peeked in on my rabbits from time to time.

Just please tell me Arno isn't named for that weird character in "The Fermata..." That would just be wrong.

7. HSJREV

HSJREV

Just coincidence. The breeders are a couple from Ireland by way of the Netherlands who have only been in the U.S. for a couple of years. This is their first litter born in America so they chose all "A" names for the puppies; Aisha, Anya, Aidan, Ajax, and Arno. Now that I think about it, the dog parents are named Alexander and Aoifa...hmm, I think I see a trend here. Apparantly Arno is a fairly common name in Germanic countries.

8. CookieGirl

9. CookieGirl

Okay, I'm having trouble with cold fingers today...

Arno in the US is generally short for "Arnold," but I knew a Swedish exchange student name "Arno" in high school. Love the Celtic names in the list. Good luck with the new addition. I need to post a photo of our Siberian Husky/wolf hybrid. Technically, I suppose she's sort of my step-granddog, but since I'm the only one in the house she really minds, I feel like I've got at least part custody of her!