Glock Talk banner

New PSU

762 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  havensal 
#1 ·
I need to get a PSU. I have a junkey Emachines PC someone gave me. I think the PSU is gone in it. I want to pick up for future testing anyways. Any brand recomendations? I prefer inexpensive, but not cheap junk. I have been perusing newegg and tigerdirect, but all of the lower priced PSU's have a lot of bad feedback. I really don't want to spend $100 on a PSU if I don't have to. Thanks. :)

#3 ·
Some of the older Emachine PC's had terrible power supplies that would catch fire. Those older Emachine's had unique connectors and won't accept standard power supplies. Those old Emachines are dangerous, Later Emachines went to conventional connectors and power supplies and then Gateway bought Emachines.

#5 ·
I'd be willing to bet it's a proprietary supply. Most standard drives don't have the -5v (or is the +5) either way the machine won't boot without it.

#7 ·
Originally posted by Meman5150
If its a proprietary power supply, you just have to cut some of the back of the case with a dremel. I've done it more then enough.
Even that won't work if the proprietary drive is square (while standard drives are rectangles)

#12 ·
Originally posted by havensal
It has a standard PSU. Here is what I ordered.

While I was there I ordered a new case fans, DVD drive and video card to add to the Vista test box I am building.:banana:
that's similar to the Ultra PSU suggestion i posted earlier. they seem to make good stuff as i haven't read any bad reviews about their products. so that's a plus. if fact, my new tower is also an Ultra. what did you end up paying for the PSU?

have fun building the new box. with the exception of confusion with the 4-pin plug for the CPU on the power supply (the manual didn't say that the 8-pin plugs splits into 2 4-pin :upeyes: ) it really wasn't too bad putting my new system all together.

after fighting with a 7 year old outdated HP it's nice to have an all new setup good to go!! :thumbsup:

#13 ·
My personal opinion...

Anything but Antec, and you're wasting your money. I've replaced many burned out PS's, I can't recall ever replacing an Antec that was less than 5-6yrs old.

I've heard Thermaltake is ok, I've also put in one of those "Dynex" power supplies. Both of them seem pretty good, and I know for a fact the Dynex one is still running fine(although it is a bit loud). Dynex seems to be Best Buy's brand of things. Its heavy, and seems fairly well built.

IGF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.