New Performance Center 1911

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Club' started by Short Cut, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

[​IMG]

What do you think?

I'm a real fan of S&W's PC offerings. They sure know how to fit a high end handgun.

One little thing that bothers me is they make a pistol that is made to be a carry gun and then they don't put night sights on it. What is it you have to be in LE to get night sights from S&W?

I also wished it was available without the bobtail. However I'm glad they finally made a lightweight commander from the PC. I've been wanting one for a long time. I tried their regular 1911PD, which was Ok, and then their Gunsite model, which was nothing special.

2. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Great looking 1911 there....

3. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

IMG_3218.JPG I just got one! I've had this urge to go old-school in terms of a CCW pistol and decided on something commander sized, in 45acp, with round butt, lightweight frame, ambi safety, and adjustable sights. Well this gun was all that minus the sights. Plus the performance center guns I've shot have been nothing but awesome. I did change the grips though to a thin, black carbon-fiber from VZ, the orange striping was a little much for me... As for the sights on a $1450 gun...hate em, hate em, hate em. Did I mention I hate fixed sights? There are so many options out there for adjustable, including adjustable night sights that the only reason manufactures (IMO) don't offer adjustable is because it's cheaper not too. At this price range they should have at least been night sights.

In regard to the range report. Summarized in one word it would be - unbelievable.

In detail, I've shot 8 different rounds through it. All had 5-shot groups under 2" at 10yds. shooting standing, unsupported. 200gr. XTP had a 4 shot group that was .4". And the phenomenal part is that the gun shot to point of aim, out of the box, with every single ammo brand I shot through it. I can say this is literally the first time EVER that I have bought a gun in 30+ years of shooting that this was the case. The gun has been flawless in feeding/jams except for Winchester PDX1 ammo. Even fed lead SWC without a hiccup. I never expected to like it as much as I do, thinking it would be more of a Sunday-type carry gun, but now I've been carrying it more than anything else.

Literally the only drawback to the gun is the sights in my opinion. The saving grace was it did shoot to point of aim, but at $1450 it should have come with more than fixed, white dot sights, especially coming from the performance center. Worse yet, the rear sight dovetail is proprietary to S&W and finding aftermarket sights has been a nightmare. I thought Kimber replacement sights were hard to find, this is far worse. Overall though it's an A, I'd have said A+ if the sights were adjustable night sights. 51433916361__44FBCD43-4815-4D9F-9465-582189F8C466.JPG

FullClip likes this.
  4. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

As nice as S&W's Custom Shop builds are, I just do not do anything S&W anymore. And I do have a few minor nitpicks on S&W's 1911's, but that's just me.
    Other then my prejudice, They are pretty nice, and well built. S&W Performance Guns are very high end pieces, w/o a doubt. Congrats!

FullClip likes this.
  5. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Nice looking gun. One pistol on my list is a S&W 1911 with the "Houlton Maine" on the slide. Not so much because they're extra good, but because I grew up there.

6. AdamWest436

AdamWest436 Team Third Shift

My 1911SC comes Trig night sights but none of the fancy slide cuts. Actually had them give me a shorter front one when I sent it back in May.