close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New PC Build

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by S.Winger, May 17, 2006.

1. S.Winger

S.Winger Trophy Husband

I am going to try and build my first PC. It will be used primarily for internet, photo editing, and some gaming. For gaming purposes I will probably buy some cutting edge titles now and just play those games until I build a new PC. So I guess what I am saying is I am looking to build a PC that can easily handle todays current titles. My most difficult choices so far have been the CPU, RAM, graphics card, and hard drive. I welcome suggestions and criticism of this list. Please tell me if this system looks compatable or if there are any obvious bottlenecks. If there are any obvious areas to save money without sacrificing performance I am all ears. Or if I should spend a little more for performance gains or to prevent bottlenecks. I might play around with overclocking, but I most likely will not. I believe all of these components are SLI ready however I probably will never add another video card unless I can get one cheap in the future. Do I need this much sound card will I notice a difference between cheaper older technology models? I wouldn't mind cutting the price on this system some I think the CPU could probably be downgraded. Do I need dual core or should I go single core? Will I need to order any cables to put this together or will it come with everything I need?

ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Antec Performance I P180B Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel for durability through the majority of chassis 1.0mm cold rolled steel around the 4 x HDD area ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

eVGA 256-P2-N553-AX Geforce 7600GT CO 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, FCC CLASS B, CUL - Retail

AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1000MHz HT 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail

MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 digital card reader with Floppy Drive Model FA404M BLK - OEM

Seagate NL35 ST3250623NS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM

PLEXTOR Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 24X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2M Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Microsoft Windows XP Professional X64 Edition Single Pack - OEM

2. pyblood

pyblood

Where do I start??

I would recommend getting an Athlon 64 processor. An Athlon 64 3700+ is a pretty good choice. I wouldn’t go with an Opteron for a gaming PC. Your case and PS look good. I recommend getting a retail boxed DVD burner so you can get the CD burning software unless you already have some. Plextor is a good choice for a burner. They make some of the best. You may also want to take a look at Lit-On. They are usually ahlf the price of Plextor drives and give you the best bang for your buck. I would hold out on using the 64-bit version of XP. It has too many driver issues. Just get the regular XP pro. You may want to get a smaller HD as a master so you can use that 250GB HD as a slave to store music, pics, etc. Spend the extra dollars and get the Audigy 2 sound card. Depending on your gaming needs, your video card may be lacking the performance that you’ll need.

Overall, you have made some good choices.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

I just built my wife's system with nVidia MOBO and SATA drive and had trouble with it. Seems that nVidia's drivers turn on command queuing and that is buggy code. It started to fail to reboot after a few times as files were loaded/removed. I had to reload WinXP and go into H/W Driver manager and turn off command queuing.

I swear I will never, ever, ever, ... build another nVidia system again. Never.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

How familiar are you with the actual build process? You don't want to spend a ton of money on this stuff, then fry something and ruin other components. Building a PC isn't hard at all, but you can screw things up, and ultimately ruin hardware.

There's a lot of helpful links in THIS THREAD

I've built me a new PC around every year for the last 7-8yrs, and have built several for friends/family. Not hard at all, adn you don't get a PC loaded with cheap hardware, and 10gigs worth of useless software.

Most commercial software, has a free equivalent that works just as well, if not better, available at majorgeeks.com .

IGF

5. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I'd go with a 7800 card minimum. As the others said an AMD 62 or 64x2 processor is the way to go, I'm running a 3700 64x2. I gotta agree and say go with the Audigy 2 sound card, a world of difference. I'm not all that familiar with 64 bit XP, I've got a pair of Sony DVD roms in here.

6. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Wow, some excellent choices there if I may say :)

I like ALL of those parts, but the ones I might tweak would be:

CPU - Don't get the Opteron unless you plan on OC'n that is what they are good at (and if you are get the a Zalman cooler for it), save some bucks and get the one Py recommended...the 3700+ san diego with the 1mb cache smokes most of the dual cores costing much more money. I personally wouldn't go dual-core because no games or software really support it yet to take advantage and they are still at a premium pricetag :(

Graphics card - Use the saved money and splurge a bit with the 7900GT :supergrin:

Memory - Didn't see any on there I don't think...Get a 2x1gig kit of the OCZ with low timings at newegg. Think it is running with a rebate now as well.

Burner - Have to agree with Py again. I just picked up one of the Lite-Ons about 2 months ago and I really like it. Seems like it is under 40 bucks now too.

The new SB X-fi cards really seem to give a nudge performance wise and seem to be a step above the older audigy cards...but this is just what I have read...I still have an audigy and it sounds great.

One thing to consider is waiting if you aren't hurting really bad for a new PC. Windows Vista will be out soon and DirectX 10 will REQUIRE it....just something to ponder on ;)

Good luck and let us know what you go with later!

7. pyblood

pyblood

How did I forget about the memory? Thanks for catching that RR. I would go with 2GB of Corsair value RAM unless you play on overclocking. IMHO, the extra money for low latency RAM isn’t worth it unless you’re doing some overclocking. If the low latency RAM isn’t much more expensive, go with it.

8. RaiderRodney

It isn't with a $50 mail in rebate!!! It's cheaper :shocked:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145579

.....I love newegg :supergrin:

9. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:

* A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
    * 512 MB of system memory.
    * A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

10. RaiderRodney

I should have been a little more clear on that one I guess. I meant if you have to buy a copy of windows you may want to wait and build when Vista comes out to save about $90. But I'm sure it will be a while before DX10 is needed anyway:upeyes: