new partner

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by herky, Mar 4, 2010.

1. herky

herky

diesel.jpg

here he is, his name is diesel. 2 year old malinois. awesome dog so far. If I were more computer literate I would be able to post a full pic in my post.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. norm357

norm357

Great looking pup!

3. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl

No snacking on the bad guys! They'll give him indigestion.

4. Philly K-9

Philly K-9 Run! I Dare ya!

What's he trained for? Patrol/Narc, Patrol/bombs or single purpose?

I've always wanted a Mal. :crying: When my old dog retired we had ay current dog, Blackjack, in the kennel as a spare so I didn't have a choice.

Blackjack is trained for Patrol/Narcotics and is good at both (thank God).

Best of luck to you!!

Attached Files:

• K-18.jpg
      K-18.jpg
      File size:
      37.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Great looking Malanois. We used to have one at our SO. Great dog, very high energy and high drive. Unfortunately her handler went off the deep end and she was retired subsequent to that.

6. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Handsome pup!

Did you end up going through NI K-9 as originally discussed?

7. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

I have the utmost respect for K-9s and their handlers. My old department only uses Malinois now but used to have a couple of Rottweillers. A Rott is very formidable, reminds me of a lion attack. One searched and found a robbery suspect we had cornered. Before the handler could stop him the dog tore the suspects testicles off. True story!!

This is a good video that is pretty old but very impressive. I wish it was clearer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktyq3JPQ-N8

8. herky

herky

Dual purpose dog. BR we did go through NIK-9 and we made the right choice. He is with me now for our 7 day "bonding" period. Monday I go up and start training, looking forward to it, I know that I have a lot to learn.

9. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Cool deal...have fun with it!

Did you get a new ride for it (other than the fact that you wrecked your last one) or are you hauling him around in an Impala?

10. 125K9

125K9

Nice looking Mal. Our kennel (my wife and I) have been selling Malinois and Dutch Shepherds exclusively since the early '90's. Hard to find a better working dog than a well bred/trained Malinois.

11. Hearmoretalkless

Hearmoretalkless

Arthur is a 3yo Golden retriever, single-profile for explosives. Passive alert - very poor manners as he was a kennel dog so I have to balance training for manners and working for explosives with gentle hands. He gets submissive very quickly and has already subbi-pi$$ed on my foot a couple of times during correction.

He works for tennis balls and PB treats tho, so it's all good. Right now he is trained up and could probably validate tomorrow if I knew what I was doing. Since I don't, we're going to spend a month learning me to recognize what it is he is trying to tell me.

Should be interesting... :cheerleader: :rock:

Attached Files:

12. herky

herky

BR, I now am riding in a 09 cvpi. We bought it from the patrol when they switched over to the tahoes. All the equipment was left in it minus the radio. Word is that my next ride will be a tahoe.

13. ctaggart

ctaggart

I hear that the Malinois is a lot like a German Shepherd...on crack. True or false?

Meaning of course that they have such a high drive and are eager in their work. Beautiful dog by the way. I'd love to have one as a companion. (probably too high drive for that though)

14. herky

herky

I have heard that mals are crazy too, but that is not the case with this dog. He is very laid back. He is like a lap dog until it comes time to work, then he hits like a ton of bricks on the bite and is great a dope work (from the little that I have seen). I guess it all depends on the dog more then the breed. The outfit we got him from did an outstanding job of finding us what we were looking for.

15. k9medic

k9medic

Some of the best dogs detector dogs I saw at the USPCA certs. were pound puppies.

I had a golden myself (narc) and he was the best I could have hoped for.

16. glock192327

glock192327 Where is eye

17. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

The 2WD PPV Tahoes are really coming down. State bid this year from Karl Chevy was something like $24,700 while new CVPIs and Chargers are in in the high $22k or low $23k range. I think the price on the PPV Tahoe has come down almost a grand a year for the last few years...it was down around $700 this time around. More agencies will probably be adopting them if the trend continues.

I agree with herky's reply below. I have seen Shepherds and labs that are absolute working freaks, high strung all the time, and "always on" and Mals that were pretty laid back (but still hard working). Each dog will obviously have its own drive level, but I would also agree that the Malinois, on average, is a higher strung pooch.