New P30SK

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Deputydave, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Well I made a tough choice. Had the opportunity to trade one of my SK's (the V3 version) for a Sig P320 (professionally cerakoted FDE slide and frame, Sig xray night sights and a couple of holsters). The Sig is only 3 months old. Since I already have an HK P30SK (V1 LEM version) I took the trade. Buddy of mine on shift traded his P320 last month but had four brand new mags still in the package. Sold them to me for $25 each and tossed in an IWB and OWB holster.

Best of all, the guy I did the trade with is Homeland Security with a side business where he cerakote's firearms. Beside the P320 he traded me he showed me some of the other guns he's done and they were really well done. Told him my off-duty G26 (Gen 2.5) needed some work as the slide has 20+ years of holster wear on the slide. Said he'd do the slide for $50 or the whole gun for $75 with about a 3 day turnaround time. Definitely want to get the slide done (black) and tossing around the idea of having the frame FDE.

Will Beararms likes this.
  2. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Will you be sending this in for the "upgrade"?

3. Deputydave

With it being only 3 months old I'll check to see if it needs it or not. I've heard about all the fuss but really haven't looked into it all that deeply to be honest.

4. Deputydave

Decided to return to the P30SK as my off-duty gun. This is the V1 LEM variant. I'll probably give the G26 to my son as he likes it quite well. Ordered a couple more P30 mags and an OWB holster. Going to trim down my AIWB holster as it is really longer than it needs to be. This way it will hopefully be more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

Will Beararms and packinaglock like this.
  5. Deputydave

Ordered a +2 extension. A bit pricey but I pulled the trigger and got one.

6. Deputydave

Bringing this thread back with an update. Yesterday I was offered a good amount of $ for both my Ruger LC9 and the Taurus PT709 Slim. Decided it was an offer to accept. So that left me with a little scratch to put to the side. Had no real idea what I wanted really but was perusing the normal b/s/t gun sites. Armslist had an ad for an HK P30SK V3 with thumb safety, three mags that all had the pinky extension, new unfired. So I bought it for the same $ as I sold the other two guns for earlier in the day.

I had kinda regretted selling the V1 and V3 (no safety) I had last year as they really were comfortable guns in my hand. The ability to change out the side panels and back straps does make a difference. I one of those folks that likes a manual thumb safety so this one really jumped out at me. So that puts me back as an HK owner. Looking forward to taking it to the range (which I was actually at earlier in the day with my son)

7. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on your new HK...

Deputydave likes this.
  8. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

Welcome back to the fold! The P30SKS the Wife gave me for my birthday has become my 2nd most carried pistol. Gratuitous photo inserted here:

[​IMG]

JMag, Will Beararms and Deputydave like this.
  9. Deputydave

I had to chuckle when I saw the mag in your pic. That's the same thing the guy that I bought the P30SK from did in his ad. That will always stick with HK and always makes me smile.

:)

JMag and RandomGuy like this.
  10. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

It's always funny when someone doesn't get the joke and you get the drag out the infamous HK catalog cover to explain. Especially since that happened during their prime "You suck and we hate you" customer relations days. :D

JMag and Deputydave like this.
  11. Quorthon

Quorthon

cool carry pistol.
    has it been reliable? is HK reliable?
    mine has been, im just curious about others.

12. Deputydave

The V1 and V3 I had last year were exceptionally reliable and accurate. A pleasure to shoot. I suspect this one will be the same. It has a BH code so it was manufactured last year and so far is unfired. Hopefully I'll change that this weekend.

RandomGuy and Quorthon like this.
  13. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Advice? Shoot the heck out of it. I have been shooting my P30 .40 weekly and now I am more accurate with it than my Glocks. I am focusing on presentation from IWB at 2:00 PM - Two to three shot strings - De-Cock - Slow re-holster. 25 years of shooting Glocks equals muscle memory for me. I’m not there yet with the P30 V3 system. I would also say the slide mounted de-cocker is highly intuitive. I advise people who are new to it to use the middle of the thumb to activate it. Like the Glock, HK treats the metal so rust is not an issue. I’ve found the finish to be about the same as a Glock. The high points and initial rub points for a given holster age but I like the patina of a well used but cared for firearm. HK designs their barrels to survive a squib FWIW. I advise you to try multiple grip combinations until you find yours. Keep extra grip pins on hand. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Deputydave likes this.
  14. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

They are refined. The mags load easily. The trigger to me, is a major improvement over the early USP series. The single action on mine is really good. The double action is reminiscent of the W. German Sig Sauer P series and it gets better after the first 500 rounds. The way they engineer the frame on the P-30 series is thought provoking. The slide is soundly mated to the frame —— it encompasses the top portion. The finish is going to wear at the contact points but the metal is treated similar to most Teutonic Kruenchentikers so fear not about rust. The slide maching is without peer. The recoil spring assembly is without peer. I still love Glocks but I wouldn’t hesistate to get an HK in any handgun offering.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  15. ca survivor

ca survivor

Congrats, great up-grade

JMag likes this.
  16. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Congrats - I have some fuller sized HK's but will definitely be adding the P30SK as its my favorite carry option HK makes - I am also a huge LEM trigger fan, all my hammer HK's are either factory LEM or have been converted -

JMag likes this.
  17. Quorthon

Quorthon

the only one i can not do a LEM on is the P30 series, it stinks these can not be converted by the factory. they can, but they wont,...... damn!!

18. Deputydave

Video on YT shows someone that converted a P30SK V3 to LEM (through some company). He liked it. I think I'd be somewhat wary as HK doesn't sanction it in any way.

19. GeneCC

GeneCC

I wouldn’t convert one. Buy it the way the factory built it.

The LE version in V1 can be had for $650.

20. Quorthon

Quorthon

bummer, i will not be changing any parts, this is only for factory armorers of HK.
    i will not mess round with a CC firearm. nor do i want to void the warranty.

im happy with the da/sa - i train with it , as does my wife.

i only wish i had tested the LEM before i made the purchase, but the sa is pretty sweet in stock