New P30SK

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Deputydave, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Ninjamamaseeta

Ninjamamaseeta "You don't get what you don't ask for."

Congrats on your new purchase. It's wonderful that you really liked how it shot when you took it in to qualify with it as your ODC weapon. I have the P30SK and the P2000SK. The leather holster I ordered from Kevin will hold either weapon with excellent retention.

If you're looking for a dressy holster, check out Nightingale Leather Holsters. Kevin Nightingale makes very nice products. I ordered 2 OWB holsters with an FBI cant, 2 belts, and 3 mag carriers from him. They're pricey, but they're not the run of the mill stuff you can find just about anywhere. Kevin is a true craftsman and he pays very close attention to detail. He's super easy to order from. He'll chat with you on the phone and explain everything you might want to know about the various options you can get with the different styles, colors, leather materials, textures, stitching, etc. I can't wait for my next set to arrive.

Enjoy your purchase!

Deputydave likes this.
  2. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Thank you. I took a look and yes, he offers some very nice holster indeed. Still haven't received my IWB holster and have had to send several msgs on Ebay. My fault for not checking out the vendors rating. I usually do and was an oversight on my part.

3. Ninjamamaseeta

Ninjamamaseeta "You don't get what you don't ask for."

I'm not sure if you've ever owned a leather holster and used it with a leather belt, but if you decide to order something of this combination, beware of the creeking and squeaking that can happen until they're broken in. I've scoured the forums to find solutions to these noises and found one that seems to have helped.

I used Burt's Beeswax (basically my chapstick) on the metal portions of the belt where it comes in contact with leather. The squeaking is completely gone now. It was high pitched and very noticeable while walking. I've used the same on the leather to leather contact points and gotten a good portion of the creeking noises to go away. I need to find the source of the remaining and keep at it. I prefer wax over powder that some have used because it won't make the darker leather colors look dirty and dusty but I'm sure the powder method would be easier to apply since it's not a solid like the beeswax. I used a paper clip and took the long end, stretched it out, and scraped off some of the wax and used the paper clip as an applicator. It worked well, but like I said, I still have a little creeking to locate and apply some more when I get around to it. I'm sure it'll all be gone when I can find the source.

Hope you get your IWB holster and can finally start to carry your new firearm.

Be safe!

4. Deputydave

Fortunately the fobus holster came in. Before I discovered the wonderful world of IWB holsters I carried either a Glock 19 or Glock 26 in a fobus paddle holster. So that will fill the bill until the Sof-Tuck comes in and I can go back to appendix carry. Hope I like the holster as much as the leather one I carried the Glock 26 in. That was so comfortable I almost forgot I was wearing a firearm.

5. Deputydave

Looks like that vendor is going to refund 30% of the price of the holster for not shipping as promised. As long as they do then it should turn out to be a pretty good deal.

Hopefully ;)

6. Deputydave

Thanks again for the tip. I found new VP9/P30 mags for $33 ($36.75 after shipping). I've got a couple on the way. That's the best price that I've found so far.

:)

James Dean likes this.
  7. BADOS

BADOS

Love going to the range with my P30sk and 15 round mags. Great shooter!

VicarofGlock likes this.
  8. JMag

JMag

Very nice. I wonder how this little baby compares?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Deputydave

I got that email as well and have started thinking along the lines of getting a VP9. It's a toss up for me between the full size and the SK. Since I already have the P30SK for off-duty I don't necessarily need another concealable gun. However, it isn't a bad idea either.

From what I've seen, it is very similar to a Glock in terms of function but reportedly with a better trigger. I've not shot one so that's just second-hand information. But it seems like a very good price for a very good gun. I very much like the fact that the VP9 and P30 share the same magazines. Tactically it would make this a sound choice for me in that regard. I like that one of the floor plates is extended as well. Currently they are out of stock on this SK though. Full sizes are still available. Wonder how long the sale runs for?

Looks like I might need to pick up a bit of OT so I can get one without the wife giving me that look. :eyebrow:

JMag likes this.
  10. Deputydave

Time to update this thread as it's been a few months.

I went back to the Glock 26 for off-duty carry. I don't think the G26 better than the P30SK, just that it is overall more comfortable, to me. I carried the SK for a couple of months and it was 'ok' as far as comfort but on a longer day I was really ready to take it out of my belt. The SK is just slightly longer, wider, taller and heavier than the G26. The G26 on the other hand, well I almost forget I've got it on, even on a long carry day. That's just me.

However, I still have the SK and have even added night sights. Took it to the range last week again and had some other shooters try it out. All of them loved that LEM trigger. It is now one of my HD firearms. It would be my night stand firearm but I have a PPQ M2 that fills that roll since it is higher capacity.

I've like the P30SK design so well I'm looking at getting a second in V3 DA/SA. I had thought about getting a full sized VP9 and getting in on the 4-free HK mag offer. In fact, I've done a few OT to put together some discretionary funds. If you don't know what discretionary funds are, that's the money your wife lets you use on gun stuff. However, I've seen some conflicting reviews on the VP9. Some praise it, some don't feel the quality is quite up to HK standards. Some even suggest the VP9 was farmed out to a subsidiary for manufacture. I don't know either way and it's probably fine. And no offense meant to VP9 fans. But the P30, to me, seems to be holding value better overall and I have first-hand knowledge of it's qualities and abilities. So it looks like I'll be picking up a LNIB P30SK LE V3 (NS and three mags and 2016 manufacture date) tomorrow evening locally. I'm particularly looking forward to the V3 as a comparison to the V1 LEM trigger. I've had DA/SA firearms before and have liked them.

So, looks like I'm down for 2x the HK SK fun :)

DougS63 and JMag like this.
  11. Deputydave

Well I made the purchase this afternoon. HK P30SK LE V3 (no safety) for $525. Being the LE it has NS and 3 mags. Letter code puts it at a 2016 manufacture date. Looking forward to putting some rounds down range with it.

packinaglock and JMag like this.
  12. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Congrats. :cheers:

JMag and Deputydave like this.
  13. Parausa

Parausa

Great pistol. Tough as nails. Hope you like it

Deputydave likes this.
  14. TexasRaider113

TexasRaider113

New member here and also new to HK. Purchased the P30Sk V3 LE with night sights back in July. It is my first SA/DA handgun. I thought it was going to replace my G19 as my EDC weapon. I was a little disappointed in the thickness and weight as well as the amount of travel in the trigger to reset and especially the amount of travel until the trigger breaks to fire the second round. Maybe that's the way most SA/DA triggers are, as I mentioned earlier its my first.

I had watched review vids on youtube and noticed that sometimes after the last round was fired, the slide did not remain locked in the open position and have found the same to be true with mine. I'm not sure if my thumb is activating the slide release or not after the last round is fired. Something to be cognizant of. Would love to hear if you have the same issue. Things I do love though are: interchangeable back straps, decocker, mag release (really love, no need to reposition the gun in my hand to drop the mag), night sights, ease of field stripping and the overall quality of the gun. This thing does run as smooth as a sewing machine.

15. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

I got to hold a H&K P30sk yesterday at the range. Damn that thing fit my hand like a custom made glove. I would have brought it home but it had a safety.

16. TexasRaider113

TexasRaider113

Mine doesn't. From what I understand there are something like 9 different versions. Mine is H&K P30SK V3, which equates to SA/DA and no external safety. It also came with tritium night sights, 3) 10 round magazines and 3 separate back straps. It's a smooth running compact, I'm just use to the grip angle on Glocks. I almost sold it at a gun show last weekend. Did you get to shoot it?

17. JMag

JMag

I'm leaning LEM trigger with a P30SK over a VP9SK at present. Hammers are always handy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deputydave and TexasRaider113 like this.
  18. Shadow106

Shadow106

New in here, but not new to HK by a long shot. Not an expert, but I know some stuff from twenty + years of shooting their weapons.

First of all, I too just acquired an SK and I am also in love with the pistol. It fits, it shoots, and its accurate to the point where its p_____g off some of my range partners cause it was way less expensive than the big name 1911s they shoot.

I haven't had any trouble finding holsters that work extremely well with the SK. Sure, the P30 and VP9 rigs fit it, but I've also found quite a few IWB rigs for my Glocks and Sigs that work just as well. "Tuck" models in particular, but those are a bit large for my taste.

Just after I got the pistol, I went to an Ebay vendor that I've used a lot, and ordered a carbon fiber IWB for the SK. Took a couple of weeks, but I've worn it for almost a month now, with no problems (I have back and hip issues) and it conceals even under t-shirts with the flat base mag.

I bought my first HK back in the 1980's and have rarely been without at least one since that time. I do carry other weapons because I like to maintain my ergonomic memory with as many as my feeble brain can retain. But the HK's, particularly the new SK is at the head of the class and will undoubtedly be passed on to my son, who also carries an HK as a duty weapon. Border Patrol issue, P2000.

Have a happy gang. HK's RULE!

Deputydave and TexasRaider113 like this.
  19. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

Yes I ended up going back yesterday and buying it and putting 300 rounds through it. I can see where I'll have to practice more to get used to the V3 trigger. Love the gun though.

20. kaisooba

kaisooba

Great I hope that you enjoy it.

packinaglock likes this.