New P30SK

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Deputydave, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I traded a Glock 19 this morning (plus a little $) for a new P30SK. I was originally looking for another Glock 26 when the HK was offered. First HK I've owned personally though I have shot my partners P30. Plan to take it to the range to see how I like it. If I do I plan to qualify with it and make it my off duty carry. If that's the case I'll give my current Glock 26 off duty to my son.

Any tips and tidbits you'd like to pass on would be appreciated.

MFC4, DFM914, Tuco 44 and 7 others like this.
  2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Congratulations on the new toy.

Deputydave likes this.

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Congrats. HKs and Sigs give me the biggest smiles of any new guns I get.

VicarofGlock and Deputydave like this.
  4. birda40

birda40 Woody

Have the P-30sk and its big brother P-30. Enjoy them both , work horses never a fail of any sort. The mags are interchangeable also.

Will Beararms and Deputydave like this.
  5. longhaulcop

longhaulcop

I love mine, I call it my retirement gun. Tho truth be told I'm carrying my Ruger LC 9 in my pocket everyday. If I was still working it would be my go to sidearm. Keep it lubed and clean and she won't disappoint.

Deputydave likes this.
  6. Deputydave

My partner who has the P30 told me about the interchangeable magazines. That's a nice plus! Funny thing is that he's Jonesing for the P30SK and showed it to me just a couple of hours before the guy emailed me with the offer of a P30SK. Partner came back from lunch and I gave him the 'you're not going to believe this' line :highfive:

I've been a Glock guy since the mid-90's and love them. Duty weapon is the Glock 21 and I've been carrying a Glock 26 off duty for quite a while. But I think I'm going to like the change. Have to say it's a sharp looking firearm. Didn't think I'd like the mag release but the more I handle it the more I think I'm going to prefer it.

We've got an agency range day coming up, seems like a good time to put some rounds through it. Hopefully I'll be able to also qualify with it the same day so I can start carrying it as my off duty.

7. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on your new HK. :cool:

Deputydave likes this.
  8. steve1911

steve1911

Congrats on the P30SK.

1911club#410

Deputydave likes this.
  9. barth

barth

Have a P30 40 and P30SK.
    Only tip is shoot, carry and enjoy!

Deputydave likes this.
  10. Deputydave

Found a nice IWB holster and a nice OWB (Fobus) holster for it. Having a bit of a problem finding a good duty style/level 2 retention holster for it. My buddy with the P30 has the Blackhawk Serpa but supposedly it doesn't quite fit the P30SK. I'm going to try my gun in his holster tomorrow just to see for myself but failing that I'm not sure what the options are. If anyone knows of a good duty style holster for the P30SK toss me a link.

11. James Dean

James Dean

You made a good choice going with the P30sk. I know when I really like a particular firearm. I tend to buy a lot of mags for it. I've spent a lot on the P30sk. 13 round USPc mags and 15 round VP9 mags.

Deputydave likes this.
  12. Deputydave

Okay, if it's of any interest/help to anyone, I called Blackhawk and the tech said that the P30SK would not fit the Serpa CQC holster. He said he thought the trigger guard was slightly different. However, this morning at work I tried the SK in my partners Serpa CQD holster and it fit like a glove. Turned it upside down and shook it, pulled on it etc and it was locked in. Inserted and came out without issue. So I ordered one and the quick detatch kit off Amazon this morning.

Let me see if I'm understanding you correctly. I know the P30 mags will fit. Are you saying the USPc and VP9 mags will also fit the SK? Hopefully not a stupid question but the SK is my first HK pistol so I'm on the learning curve with them.

Sheltie likes this.
  13. James Dean

James Dean

Yes my USPc 13 round mags fit. I also run VP9 mags with this mag sleeve. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HK-P30SK-ma...214984?hash=item4657f26888:g:DwUAAOSwWTRWyfDC

Deputydave likes this.
  14. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

13 rd. P2000 mags also. Whatever you can find cheaper.

Deputydave likes this.
  15. Deputydave

Thanks guys, very helpful information. :cheers:

16. Deputydave

Okay, I had the same day shipping from Amazon Prime on the Blackhawk Serpa CQC so it was waiting for me at the house when I got home. Just like with my partner's holster, it fit like a glove and was secure. Only difference is that the holster is bit longer of course, but really not an issue in any way. And actually, it would offer a bit more protection on the muzzle end of the gun when in the holster.

17. Deputydave

Had it inspected and qualified with it this morning so it has officially replaced my Glock 26 for off-duty carry. I was pleasantly surprised, and well pleased with how smooth the LEM trigger was, I mean really impressed. Last gun that I've owned that was that smooth was a S&W 686 that had a trigger job done to it. Just really impressed.

Third magazine arrived in the mail today. I had ordered the 10-round SK magazine before I knew the higher capacities ones would fit so the next ones I order will be those.

Still waiting for the IWB holster to ship. They took twice as long as what they promised so it will be middle of next week before it arrives. I have a spare IWB holster that 'mostly' fits that will serve until the correct one arrives. It's the Desantis Sof-Tuck. I liked the idea of a tuckable holster in case I need to have a shirt tucked in so I figured I'd give it a try.

So just very pleased with the performance of the SK.

fnfalman and birda40 like this.
  18. Parausa

Parausa

HK makes some awesome pistols. The P30 light LEM and P30 SK light LEM 9mm's are my favorites. I use Trijicon HD night sights on both and carry in a TT Gunleather Mike's Special IWB holster with a dual mag side snap carrier for spares. Spares are 17 Rd. (full size 15 Rd. mags with aluminum extensions from HK Pro).

Ran my P30 full size in a training class a while back and was ringing 12" x 24" steel silhouettes consistently from 100+ yards in one of the drills. Love that light LEM trigger. They are tough, accurate, durable and the most comfortable/ergonomic polymer pistols I have handled.

Enjoy!

Deputydave likes this.
  19. Deputydave

Took a look at your holster and that's quite nice!

Got the Blackhawk Serpa holster and quick detach all set up on my duty belt. Impressed with it so far. My hopes that it proves durable in the long run.

Still waiting for the Desantis IWB to come in. But the Fobus paddle holster should be in the mail today for when I want to OWB carry. I like Fobus and have them for my Glocks. Simple but works. And I find them comfortable and easy to put on and take off.

20. Parausa

Parausa

Comfortable holsters are the holy grail! Seems like an endless search. Good luck!

Deputydave likes this.