Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone!

I'm new to semi-automatic pistols in general and specifically to Glocks. I just picked up a new G43X a couple weeks ago and love it! Have only fired a couple hundred rounds through it and I'm looking forward to my next range session!

Upon tear down and cleaning I noticed what I thought was built up fouling residue. However, upon closer inspection I was able to clearly see that it is plastic that's peeling or wearing away from the frame. To me, this does not seem normal and could potentially pose a significant safety hazard!

I specifically purchased a Glock based on their bulletproof reliability and longevity reputation. I hope I'm fretting much about nothing! Pictures are posted so you can see what I'm talking about...please excuse the lint!

Is this something I should be concerned about? Your opinion, insight, and comments are welcomed!

Thanks in advance!
CV
IMG_7139.jpg
IMG_7140.jpg

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can tell you that mine don’t look like that. I may not inspect mine that hard either, though I believe I would have seen that.

I would recommend finding a local Glock armorer to check it out.

...Ron

·
thewoods868
1,666 Posts
It could only be the rear slide plate rubbing or scraping off when you remove the slide. Have you removed that plate and did you install it correctly if you did?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Can you post a pic of your rear slide plate particular pic angle underneath just flip the slide over and take a pic and also take a pic from the rear or the slide plate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyones quick response!

As the manual recommends, the only thing I did before firing the pistol for the first time was field strip, clean, and lube. Upon reassembly I ran it through all of the inspection and safety checks that are outlined in the manual. Afterward the pistol cycled through 150 rounds flawlessly. I noticed this unusual wear when field stripping/cleaning after that initial trip to the range...have not fired it since.

I have not removed the rear side plate.

Let me get it outside for better light for more pics. What do we need? Pics of the rear side plate and the underside of the rear end of the slide correct?

·
Registered
30,196 Posts
Last I heard in one of my recert classes, a Glock frame pops out of a mold every 80-90 seconds. It's not unusual to see some "flashing" left over around the front and rear frame rail/tab fixtures where they rise up out of the frame. (Like it's not unusual to see some amount of the front U-shaped rail fixture visible in the frame's dustcover because the plastic didn't completely fill in that area during the molding process. Some folks mistakenly think they're seeing "cracks" exposing the steel fixture.)

Naturally, you can call Glock and ask to speak to someone about your concern, and/or perhaps ask for an appropriate email to use to attach the pics for them to review.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You guys are great...thank you for all the responses. The rear slide plate does in fact show two very small areas of wear. Pics attached.

I'm glad to hear that some of you believe its just some extra polymer from the molding process wearing away. That's initially what I thought too but figured Glock's manufacturing tolerances would be tighter than that hence my concern and question here. Ol Grandad's G19 continuing to function properly is also very encouraging!
IMG_7173.PNG
IMG_7176.PNG

IMG_7176.jpg

·
MacGyver
7,589 Posts
Remember the days of plastic model building...if you are old enough? It's like those little tabs of excess plastic that I would have to trim off the parts after remving from the frame.

Trim it off, and try to wear the gun out over the next $20K worth of ammo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are great...thank you for all the responses. The rear slide plate does in fact show two very small areas of wear. Pics attached.

I'm glad to hear that some of you believe its just some extra polymer from the molding process wearing away. That's initially what I thought too but figured Glock's manufacturing tolerances would be tighter than that hence my concern and question here. Ol Grandad's G19 continuing to function properly is also very encouraging!

IMG_7176.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last I heard in one of my recert classes, a Glock frame pops out of a mold every 80-90 seconds. It's not unusual to see some "flashing" left over around the front and rear frame rail/tab fixtures where they rise up out of the frame. (Like it's not unusual to see some amount of the front U-shaped rail fixture visible in the frame's dustcover because the plastic didn't completely fill in that area during the molding process. Some folks mistakenly think they're seeing "cracks" exposing the steel fixture.)

Naturally, you can call Glock and ask to speak to someone about your concern, and/or perhaps ask for an appropriate email to use to attach the pics for them to review.
Thank you for sharing your experience/expertise and alleviating my concern!

I believe it's just a little extra plastic material and it probably has worn about as much as it's going to you said you've shot a couple hundred rounds that should about do, those other pics will probably show if anything else is going on.
Thank you very much for the re-assurance! Have you had a chance to look at the pics of the rear slide plate? Anything concerning or alarming about the wear that you see?

Just extra polymer from the molding process. You should feel blessed as you technically received more Glock than others did!
Haha! Thanks for the re-assurance and the laugh! I'm guilty of not recognizing my blessings! LOL!

Remember the days of plastic model building...if you are old enough? It's like those little tabs of excess plastic that I would have to trim off the parts after remving from the frame.

Trim it off, and try to wear the gun out over the next $20K worth of ammo.
Yes...exactly! Built many a model in during my youth. Thanks for alleviating any concern I had!

Excess plastic. Nothing to worry about. After 2600 rounds, most of it is gone on my gun.

View attachment 740912
Awesome! Thanks for sharing your personal experience. Makes my feel a lot more at ease!

·
I'm not retired
7,273 Posts
Curious as to what is putting the marks on the slide cover plate. The one on the right looks pretty gouged.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts