New Orleans eateries

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by h2o-5o, May 22, 2005.

1. h2o-5o

h2o-5o Owned by Pugs

We are going to New Orleans for a few days this week, leaving Tuesday morning. Strictly a vacation, nothing mandatory to do. We are staying at the Avenue Garden. I need to know a couple of places to eat a nice dinner, and a couple of others to eat a nice lunch. By nice I don't necessarily mean expensive, just worth what they cost.

Any recommendations?

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Felix's for Oysters, Crawfish, and Po'boys...

Cafe' Du Monde for insane hot/fresh Beignets (ben-yays) and Chickory Coffee...
    It's a markety kinda cafe outside... Cool...

They're both institutions...

I'm not a star watcher, but the two times I was in there I sat next to famous people...
    Dyan Cannon and Robbie Robertson from The Band...

There's a restaurant called The Flamingo, or The Pink Flamingo where I had insanely good
    Crawfish Cakes, Etouffee, and Clamato Bloody Marys...

That was 8 years ago.... ???

I'm sure Felix's is the same...

Have fun!

;c

3. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

Ralph & Kacoo's is my favorite. It's in the Quarter on Toulousse St. About 3 blocks south of Bourbon.

I had a 10oz black angus ribeye and a Mahi-Mahi filet (blackened of course), twice baked potato, hush puppies, & salad for $20.00. Both steak and fish were excellent. We were there 4 days at Mardis Gras in Feb and ate there twice.

The beignets at Cafe du Monde were good, but my Grandma used to make something similar, but better. And the trip to see her was much cheaper and quicker.

K'Pauls restaurant was also very good. It's a little pricier/fancier than Ralph & Kacoo's, but food quality was just as good, and the service was better.

We didn't stray from the Quarter, so there are probably some very good places that I wasn't able to sample.

4. CaliTheKid

CaliTheKid

Try getting a debris sandwich at Mothers. Honestly heaven on a bun-- the meat drippings from the huge roasts they make in their own juice on a large french roll. It's a very casual lunch time spot just outside the quarter.

5. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

+1 on Mothers for lunch.

Their shrimp poboys are great, too. You may have trouble getting a seat.

As I recall, it's about 3 or 4 blocks up from the entrance to River Walk mall.

6. h2o-5o

h2o-5o Owned by Pugs

We're back from vacation. Wish we had tried Mother's. We did eat at Ralph & Kacoo's (A+, excellent), Louisiana Pizza Kitchen (B, wasn't really impressed), and Crescent City Brewhouse (B+, good food, kinda overpriced for what we got).

We saw several other places we intend to try on our next trip though.

7. h2o-5o

h2o-5o Owned by Pugs

Oh, almost forgot, Cafe' Du Monde(A+, excellent)

8. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member