close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new/old rider

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by pt945, Mar 15, 2007.

1. pt945

pt945 GLOCK 17

i am thinking very seriously about getting back in to riding. i rode most of my younger years on dirtbikes and a few dirt/streetbikes. it has been about 15-20 years since i even sat on a bike but i am getting the fever. i know a refresher course would be mandatory to get myself mentally and physycally ready to ride again. my question is what would be a good starter bike i am fond of the look of the cruiser style bikes. the next problem is i am SHORT my inseam on my pants is only 28"

thanks
    chris

2. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Look on Craigslist or cycletrader, you'll find a ton of used bikes in your area that suit your price and style you're looking for. Most any Jap bike that has been reasonably well maintained should serve you well and not break the bank.

After you find a model that interests you, there are forums dedicated to particular bikes that you can read thru to find any weak points or things to look out for.

Don't think that your first bike will be your last, your idea of the "perfect" bike might change drastically once you've been riding a little while. I went from a small slow cruiser to a big quick standard in about two years.

However you go, once you get the "itch" you're hooked :thumbsup:

3. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

First of all get one of These $5.00 well spent, and will let you get an idea what you like. Gives size, weight, and Seat Height on all models. http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=297

Take a look at the Honda Shadow 750 ,many good used ones, and I have seen riders on them from 5'2" to 6'1" on them and they love em. and I am a little partial to 750's. Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I am wearing 29" inseam pants (actual measured leg inseam of 26"). I can ride most things that I can get one decent foot down.

As far as used cruiser-types, there are way too many to name. I rather like the metric cruisers of the early 1980s. They don't have that exaggerated, stretched out look of today's "retro-styled" cruisers.

5. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

If I were you, I'd look into a high mileage, often polished Honda Shadow or Suzuki Intruder. They don't get ridden too hard and the high mileage will drive the price down and make further depreciation a non-issue.

You can likely get a clean 10yo Honda Shadow with 30,000mi for $1800. Then after a few months you could sell that same 10yo Shadow with 35,000mi for the same $1800. By that time, you'll have a better idea of what you want.