New old friend

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cadillacguns, Sep 17, 2018.

1. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I don't know why, but I have been using a G-22/27 combo since 1996, mostly carry now a well used G-27, and the G-22 when needed. I shoot the G-22 well enough and the G-27 well enough to get the job done, with Winchester 180 gr PDX-1 in both of them. The other day I took an old buddy out of my safe, a well worn, well used, LE trade-in 2nd Gen G-23.
    I first started into Glocks in the mid 1980's with a 2nd Gen G-19, and then as a deputy in the mid 1990's up and to this day a G-22/27 combo, with the G-27 a constant companion.
    For the past two weeks and two range sessions using PDX-1 and 180 gr FMJ, The G-23 shined, I mean it was better for me than the first love G-19, and the G-22/27 combo hands down.
    I changed to a LCI extractor, and noticed it needed a new RSA, so it got one of those too and a detail strip and clean.
    Why, oh why has it not been carried in rotation for all these years, and although it won't happen as I love the "Trifecta" now of my .40 cal Glocks, if I could only have one of them, this would be the one.
    I am still going to grab the G-27 headed out the door most of the time, and the G-22 when needed, but some how some way this old buddy of mine has got to be appreciated and used more often, with cold weather in the future, I bet it will.

Glock-23.jpg
    Needs to get a Glock slide and barrel re-blue, and new night sights, or Trijicon re-lamps soon, but it won't go back into the safe anytime soon.

rayzer007, texas 48, 1L26 and 2 others like this.
  2. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

When people are paying an extra $150 for 'battle-worn' Glocks? I've been carrying my gen 3 G-23 for 20 years as of July and it is well worn lol.

Lawdog3 and strait shooter like this.

3. cadillacguns

Yawp, the more I look at it and love it, why should I refinish it, shoots great, just the same, but I am tempted to give it a make over.

Lawdog3 likes this.
  4. Catshooter

Catshooter

I like 'em both worn and that beautiful new look. Especially the frying pan.

Nice weapon man, the 23 is serious one.

Cat

5. PeterG

PeterG

I would truly like a G27 to compliment my gen2 G23 but I don’t do finger grooves so I wait to see if a gen 5 will be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Lawdog3

Lawdog3 " Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"

My old Gen2 G17 was my Duty weapon I carried her for years. She has lots of scuffs and the grip has a lot of bangs and scrapes from scuffles, console, wear and being my companion for the first 12 years of my career. I got issued a new G17 in 2008. I asked to keep my original one but of course the Department armor wouldn't let me. I made arrangements to purchase it from the Department for $ 200.00 when I retired in May of 2017 they gave me my newer 17 as a retirement gift. I remember all of those nights where my 17 was with me. Every once in a wile I get it out and admire my old friend. I'm never getting rid of my Gen 2 17. It's not worth much to anyone but me. She's battel worn but,every nick and scrape represents a very important part of my past. She served me well.

7. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I have been carrying my gen2 G-23 since they came out.
    It has been a constant companion for years, and has some holster wear, and some scratches here and there, but nothing major. It has been traveling with me through a lot of states, and a lot of places. I do most of my traveling in my truck or my wife's SUV. I don't like flying places any more, because I can't carry, and I don't want to put my pistol in luggage. Too many people handling it that I don't know.

8. cadillacguns

Mine Law Dog, was MC092SD, (Marion County Indiana) but I left before it was surplused, I own MC173SD, which was set up the same, just not issued to me. I was fortunate to receive the one a fallen Deputy wore that I went to the Academy with. (his family was not interested in it). My brother Brian a Lieutenant in the Hazel Park MI PD wore it for years and gave it back to me last November and I use it now.
    I'll try and get a pic of it tonight.
    Can you take a pic of your G-17?

Lawdog3 and Deputydave like this.
  9. Current Resident

Current Resident

I do love G2 series, one day I will add a 19 or 23 whenever the time is right.

10. cadillacguns

Here they are MC173SD like I was issued, and MC686SD from an Academy classmate (RIP Brother)

MC173SD.jpg MC686SD.jpg

Attached Files:

Lawdog3 likes this.
  11. Catshooter

Catshooter

A man can get attached, can't he? :)

Cat