close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New OEM Extractor vs. Old Extractor Test (Video Comparison)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by plouffedaddy, Mar 25, 2012.

1. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

So, as some of you probably already know, I got a new extractor for my girl's Gen4 19 that has has erratic ejection issues in the past. I did use the polish the top and bottom of the dipped extractor that came with the gun and noticed much more consistent ejection, but it still didn't seem like "strong" ejection to me. Now, when I fire the gun the ejection is much better so I had my girl fire it (it's her carry gun after all...). When she uses my G17s/G34s/G26 she has stronger ejection with the same ammo vs. what you'll see in the video with this Gen4 19.

Here's the new extractor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIYtqwcGVA0&feature=channel"]Gen4 Glock 19 Ejection With "Dipped" MIM Extractor - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSha4adIo3w&feature=channel"]Gen4 Glock 19 With New Non-Dipped OEM Extractor - YouTube[/ame]

The same ammo (Blazer 115gr FMJ aluminum cased) was used for all shots. I really didn't notice any difference in ejection but since she fired 200 rounds total of this relatively weak ammo with 0 failures of any kind I really can't complain. FWIW, hotter ammo ejects better.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  2. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Thanks for the reviews, info, and vids--I'll be placing an order in w/Glock for mine. All of the ones in my 9X19 models are dipped, and have various numbers stamped in them.

All you did is request the SP 01895 extractors to get those, right? I'll also order some 2714 bearings while I'm at it, too.

Thanks again!

3. MikeG36

MikeG36

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that with us. And thanks to your girl for being the test subject. ;)

I have the latest mim extractor and 336 ejector on my 19 and it throws Blazer, WWB, UMC, etc to 2:30 - 4:30 pretty consistently. There's got to be more to this and I'm thinking the RSA spring tension is loading as the slide is reaching the point where the cartridge is starting to eject. An interesting experiment would be to lock your slide back for a week then try again with the same ammo and see if it ejects better. Then try again with a little oil on the spring just for kicks.

4. novasquid

novasquid

i'm no expert but the ejections in both videos look the same. fwiw, here's a video of my g19 gen4 with the .40sw extractor that i made just yesterday. it's a little hard to see, but you can see the casings ejecting to the 4 o'clock position consistently with quite a few bouncing off the table. prior to the .40sw extractor i was getting casings to the head or left.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqpCHffZwzc"]glock g19 gen4 - YouTube[/ame]

5. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

@novasquid:
    is it a OEM glock .40S&W extractor?

MiM or investment cast?

did you also change the SLB or kept the 9mm SLB and just switched to the .40 extractor in combination with the 9mm SLB?

6. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

7. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Yup, they look the same to me too. But, before I polished the original extractor the ejection was more erratic, with many cases going to her face or left. But, we didn't notice any difference between the polished dipped or the new non-dipped. I'd still like it to be a little stronger but as long as it's consistent and consistently not having any failures I don't think it's an issue at all.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Not much difference in ejection, because there is only so much you can do to correct a problem that isn't caused by the extractor, by replacing the extractor. Yes, they can give it a more agressive hook, but that was never the part you needed to replace and Glock won't sell you a lower-powered recoil spring.

Buy a 15 lb. ISMI recoil spring from Brownells or Midway and your ejection will improve dramatically with either extractor.

Another hint? The fact that she has to re-rip the gun after every shot should tell you something about the problem.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  9. novasquid

novasquid

oem glock part from cheaperthandirt.com, no idea if it's mim or cast. and didn't change any other part.

10. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

thanks a lot for the info

i suppose it's a LCI extractor (loaded chamber indicator)?

is it DIPPED or NON-DIPPED?

11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Why has no one mentioned the 30274 ejector yet?

12. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

The ejector used is 30274 with 0-4-3 spring.

13. vmann

vmann Controller

they both seemed to be ejecting fine to me....

14. ElrodCod

ElrodCod

It looked like a couple went to the left in the first video & they all went to the right in the second.

15. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

This is my thoughts also.. So in my 34 I replaced the guide rod with an uncaptured Lightning Strike with 14lb spring. Fixed it perfectly.

16. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

I agree it's much much better than it used to be, BELIEVE me. We had all of the springs and both ejectors. Still erratic. Then I polished the extractor and have what you see here. As I said earlier, I think it's fine. I'm not posting to show how terrible Gen4 guns are or anything; just trying to share a data point on the newest extractors that have just come out last week....

17. Aquagear

Aquagear

Just a suggestion, the dual spring RSA of the Gen 4 dose not seem to like the weaker ammo, but a lot of people like the WWB 9mm, lets face it cheaper ammo = more range time. Have you thought of getting a converter and using a Gen 3 RSA just to see the difference. I think it might allow some folks with Gen 4 guns to use the low power stuff without having to dodge brass to the face.:wavey:

By the way thanks for the info, been wanting to get a couple of spare extractors for the parts kit sounds like the new ones are O.K.

18. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

the converter to the gen. 3 RSA is very common here in europe, many problems with erratic ejection where solved this way.

19. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Not much better with the new extractor, at least 3 casings hit the shooter.

That doesn't necessarily mean the new extractor is bad though. In my G27 which had the ejection problem I tried the old investment cast extractor from my G23 which ejected fine, it made nearly no difference in ejection. With that extractor in each slide, there was more of a gap between the claw and the breech face in the G27 slide, and a spent casing was held with noticeably less tension in the G27 slide. I believe the cut-out in the G27 slide which holds the extractor is out-of-spec, that it's not positioned correctly.

20. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

I can't see any improvement with the new extractor in your videos. Most of the ejections in the videos are pure magazine spring tension ejections. The tip of the ejector completely misses the shell casing when the slide travels rearward with the shell casing.

Pure magazine ejections look different than ejections with both the ejector and the mag. A "real" ejector ejection gives the shell casing a vertical axis spin and pre-programs the flight path of the shell casing to the 3-4 o'clock position, that's how it should be. Most ejections of your girl friends gun are straight up and back towards her body, this happens because the mag spring pushes the shell casing straight up and the still rearward traveling slide kicks the shell casing back towards her body, there was no ejector involved.

My now fixed gen4's did the same thing, till I replaced the extractors with different numbered stock extractors. I now can limp-wrist them as much as I want, they just don't want to jam or eject towards my body. The ejection is weaker when I intentionally limp-wrist them, but they always eject to the right, ALWAYS! It wasn't like that before the fix. I still don't know why my guns work like they should now. I guess will will never know. Glock will keep this a secret for as long as they exist.