close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Norton is kaput

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Apr 18, 2006.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

2. norton

norton

NO! I'm still here!

Norton has gone in and out of business so many times it makes your head spin.

Might as well face it. The day of the British Vertical Twin has passed, no matter how gussied up you try and make it.

Keep this in mind if you are ever tempted to invest in another new start up motorcycle company. Just ask the folks who bought Excelsior Henderson stock in the 90's. Or Indian m/c stock for that matter.

3. BikerRN

BikerRN

Me thinks that the Jap 4 and Harley have the market sewed up except for a smatterin' of Italian and Brits.

Pity, I was looking forward to Norton carving a niche. :frown:

4. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

It was owned by a motorcycle mechanic in Oregon. I really didn't think it was going to go anywhere, but was trying to be hopeful as the bikes he did put together looked sweet.

It takes many many millions of dollars to even be able to carve a niche in this market. Harley and the big 4 are what sells. Ducati has gotten bigger but it wasn't easy for them and it has taken quite a while for them to get there.

I am amazed that Triumph hasn't gone kaput again. Not that I want them to, I just thought they would have gone the way Norton has. I am glad they haven't as they have some really cool bikes now.

5. norton

norton

Triumph didn't go under because the new Triumph company has no relationship with old Triumph. And they learned from the Japanese, by freshly designing their engine, coming up with new production techniques pioneered by those from the far east.
    The 3 cylinder is unique, and is distinctly new Triumph. Instead of trying to bring the old bike back to life again, like norton did, they started over. And they were fully capitalized.
    Too bad for Norton. You can't live in the past.