close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New NFL rule bans off-duty police from carrying guns into stadiums

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Durden, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

im thinking i read this months ago . :dunno::dunno:

2. Durden

Durden

Apologies.

It just turned up on my local news outlet (but they're often late to many stories).

It seems as if the NFL brass almost wants to encourage controversy lately.

3. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

oh no apologies needed . i was talking outloud . didnt mean to come across as smart ass. i was thinking hmmmm i know ive seen something about it somewhere . hell it could have been on another site :dunno::wavey:

4. Durden

Durden

I think it's at least a week old news, as the ABC news link is dated October 14th.

I wonder what the NFL official response will be if there's a future incident where someone is seriously injured by a drunken hooligan or other miscreant, and it could have been prevented had an off-duty LEO been allowed to carry his/her weapon inside the stadium.

5. Altaris

Altaris

My view is off duty = normal citizen like the rest of us, and bound by the same rules that we have to follow.

Cops aren't exempt from being crazy sports fans and being obnoxious at games, like the rest of us.

If you are on duty or in uniform, that is a whole different story.

6. CAcop

CAcop

Problem is by law we aren't average people. I can make arrests off duty that citizens can't make.

Never mind you know what the news article is going to read if a cop watches somebody getting smoked. Even if following NFL policy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

7. Durden

Durden

Agreed.

I think this is a really bad policy on the part of the NFL.

8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

This is a good step towards correcting that "issue"

9. Wyoming

Wyoming

Again a gun policy to make us safe by making rules or law against people that are not the problem in the first place.

Besides going to an NFL game on a policeman salary would be a hardship.

10. Durden

Durden

Not to go too far OT, but I genuinely don't "get it" as to how even a solidly middle class family of 4 can afford to attend a professional football or baseball game, given the price of tickets, food & beverages.

Heck, the cost of such an outing is somewhat insane for even a "well off" or upper middle class family.

11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

C section, loge one at Yankee Stadium confirms this weekly. HH

12. CAcop

CAcop

IIRC last year there was a shooting at a Raider game and this year it was a 9er game.

No thanks.

There are two families at the PD who go to the games. They are both dual income and they really don't do anything else for fun that I can think of. I think they may be season ticket holders and Candlestick supposedly has some really good deals. The new stadium in Santa Clara is going to be different. I heard one long time season ticket holder was told he was going to have to pay $80,000 just to be able to try to get similar seats in the new stadium. I suspect there are going to be a lot of companies in the Silicon Valley buying up the season tickets. Hell, I worked for a company that had season tickets to give out to employees at Candlestick when the Giants still played there. Nice seats behind the home dugout.

13. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

I've been to two NFL games at two separate stadiums in two different states so far this year. One pre-season and one regular season (tickets were bought on the cheap from guys who couldn't attend). I had no issue carrying into either on my creds.

Just saying. :wavey::thumbsup:

14. Durden

Durden

This league wide rule just went into effect.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  15. johnd

johnd

I get to be on the field in uniform during the games ( its punishment for me) and strangely we are allowed to be armed but not carry our batons. I just watch the crowd, all the action is there, the "game" is utterly and e x c r u c i a t i n g l y b o r i n g.

16. capnjim01

capnjim01

I'm all for cops off duty carrying because I have had friends who said they have run into people they have arrested and it could have been ugly if they were out of uniform and unarmed.

I do think the should follow the same rules as the rest of us, if you're carrying then no drinking.

17. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Does the NFL have the jurisdiction to prohibit firearms at these stadiums that are neither owned by them or operated by them?

Most of these facilities are jointly owned/operated by the cities/communities due to bonds/taxes collected to pay for these centers.

Interesting.

:wavey:

red

18. cyphertext

cyphertext

I heard about this on another forum where an officer was turned away by security at a Cowboys game a couple of weeks ago. I think it is a bad policy as well.

I wonder what the reasoning behind it is... Did Tom Clancy write a novel where terrorists used false or stolen police credentials to take fans at a football game hostage?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.