New motherboard?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wayne02, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

My son has a 2001 vintage gateway with a Intel (Fedora) Pent.III 733mhz motherboard. Specs say the board will not support more than 512 memory, which is how much memory that is currently installed.

Can I get an upgrade (speed and memory) motherboard for this unit? If so, what form factor should I be looking for? Where would be a good place to buy one?

Thanks
    Wayne

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If you buy a new motherboard, you will need a new CPU and some RAM that will work with it.

And those parts will demand much higher levels of power, thus a new power supply unit (PSU) will be unavoidable.

And a new case is required to allow the proper dissipation of the extra heat those components will generate...

In other words, there is a good chance that you could re-use the drives in your new PC, but IMHO it is almost always better to just buy a new DVD+/-RW and a 80GB (or so) hard drive and just leave the old machine alone.

That only increases the price by $130 or so, but you would then have TWO PC's, which can then be networked. That opens up more usefulness in itself, and the setup can be even more useful yet, if you are in the mood to install Linux on the older system.

Plus, scavenging the HDD from the old machine can result in it dying soon afterwards, meaning you would have NO computers at all. So a new HDD is almost always best.

Good luck.