close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New modem, but low speeds

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by streeter69, Sep 26, 2004.

1. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Last week we had a storm roll thru and fried one of my phones and my modem. I installed a new US Robotics modem and atleast I can get on line.

My problem is my speed (connection) is about 48k, but my actuall speed is only 12k. I tested the modem and it always test at @50k but my tranfer rate sucks. I tried updating drivers and they are the latest ones. I know it is something in my software but I can not find it. any help?

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

are you sure the phone lines weren't damaged in the lightning strike?

do you hear any unusual static over the line when you pick up the phone?

3. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Phone lines good, had the phone company out on tuesday, he even was nice and tested my modem, he agreed with me that it is in my setup, but I can not find it.

4. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

You need to get out the reference manual to query the modem after you dial up, and see if it has retrained (ie. lowered its speed to accommodate poor line conditions) and how many times it has. Also, depending on the speed of your computer, a winmodem will connect fast, but can process data slower than a "real" modem. The winmodems are cheaper than real modems so you probably picked up a winmodem. These tend to operate slower than their real counterparts with system slower than 800mhz (ie. a PII doesn't do so well).

-ken

5. AAshooter

AAshooter

Make sure you have the latest version of firmware in your modem. Many have downloadable code. I had a similar situation and once I downloaded the latest firmware life was good.

And of course, make sure you have the proper drivers.