close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Mepis Linux

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Washington D.C., Jul 21, 2006.

1. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I'm running the pre release version.The download for the new release is very slow right now.The package manager uses Ubuntu packages.That makes it easy to update and add programs.Mepis is more complete than Ubuntu.It's not the fastest Linux but it's aslright on modern PC's.The installation CD is also a live CD so you can sort of try it on your hardware before installing.The live CD will run slower and runs best if you already have a Linux swap partition on your hard drive.

So far this is the only active download link I can find.It's very busy and very slow right now.

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mepis/released/SimplyMEPIS_6.0_i386.iso

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've got a pretty long week at work this week, I don't know if I can handle messin with a new version of Linux, :). I'll give it a week or so to die down, then I'll download it and try it.

IGF

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The new release CD is a larger iso than the pre release CD.Maybe only documents or something else.Should be interesting.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Okay,I downloaded it and am running the Live CD now.It's not bad.The speed is good for a CD and it works with one of my network cards that the pre release version had a problem.The default resolution is different from before but it's okay just different.I'm going to install it to a hard drive now.