close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New member...New to Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by smousefam5, Feb 22, 2010.

1. smousefam5

smousefam5

After resisting Glocks for many years, I'm finally getting a Glock (23). No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get passed how perfect the 23 felt in my hand. Now I need some advice.

I ordered a Storm Lake barrel from Glock World (on sale $82) and need to know what else is recommended. One thing that kept me away for so long was the trigger pull (my brother has a G17 that I've shot...and hated) so I'm looking at a Ghost trigger kit. Anything else I should be considering???

2. cciman

cciman

Lotsa ammo to practice, and realize that your chasing another gun.

Glocks are not Lego's.

3. peapadamoose

peapadamoose

Agreed. Why buy a glock if your going to change the barrel the trigger setup? Maybe try another gun?

4. smousefam5

smousefam5

Well...it is the perfect size and feel for what I am wanting. Is the opinion that reloads shouldn't be shot in a Glock off base? Isn't adjusting the trigger to one's liking normal with ANY gun? Seems like quite a number Glock devotees must be doing the same thing...just trying to listen to people who have owned them. I HAVE shot a Glock and dry fired many. The only thing about the "feel" I didn't like was the trigger. Loved the trigger of a the XD's but they didn't feel as good as the G23 in my hand.

5. Taz

Taz

Try to stay away from modding till you have a case or 2 down range. How are you going to know what you like or dislike if you start changing things before getting any range time. Even though every Glock I have owned has ended up with a 3.5# Connector and either a $.25 trigger job or replacement kit, I still shoot the crap out of it before making changes. Its nice to know that everything is as it should be before adding new parts. When something fails, and swapping out parts sometimes leads down that path, you will know whether its the part or the gun.

Reloads are OK out of a factory Glock, just not lead. Use plated or jacketed bullets and youll be OK even with the poly barrel.

6. den888

den888

Congrats, G23's are awesome...

7. mymini40

mymini40

Go for whatever floats your boat.

8. Jeebs40

Jeebs40

I put a Glockworx Fulcrum trigger in my Glock 22 because the factory trigger in my opinion just wasn't worth the plastic they used to make it. Yea it's not really on the cheap-side, but this is truly one of those deals that you get what you paid for. I was told buy an armorer (that is a Glock faithful) after dry firing the new trigger several times "If I had this trigger on my Glock I would be better" It's machined out of aluminum, it is wider, more comfortable, and solid than the plastic trigger, it has a very crisp, and clean break, and the best part it's totally adjustable.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  9. smousefam5

smousefam5

So...is it stupid people or irresponsible people that are running into problems with reloads in the factory barrels? i.e. they most likely have trouble no matter what gun they load for?

10. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

There is no problem with reloads, unless those reloads were made incorrectly. With GLOCK barrels, you aren't supposed to shoot lead bullets, but even that isn't a problem if you clean the barrel often enough.

I'm getting the impression you're confused on this topic, maybe because you've read about KBs? 98% of KBs are either factory ammo that has suffered bullet set-back, which raises chamber pressures to incredibly high levels, or hand-loads that were double charged.

Use good ammo, or properly done re-loads, and you're fine. Forget the after-market barrel, it's not necessary. Learn how to do a .25 trigger job and put in a 3.5 lb. connector, and that's all you have to do.

11. smousefam5

smousefam5

Ya, I have heard and read about "glock grenades" enough to make me wary of shooting reloads in them. Is there less margin for error with them than other auto's? I do read a lot and just don't hear about other guns having the "grenade" problems like the Glock's. I have been reloading for a solid 25 years without any problems so I'm not new to the game. I don't shoot lead in my auto's and I don't push the envelope at all in them either. The new barrel is already ordered and on its way so I guess I will hold onto it un-used and give the factory barrel a chance with the reloads...I think...

12. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

You hear about KBs because there are millions of GLOCK pistols out there, especially in the hands of LE Departments that get cases of ammo shipped to them in the mail, This is where most KBs come from, rounds with bullet set-back due to cases of ammo being dropped or poorly handled.

Your reloads will be fine if you do them right and don't over-charge them. And if you DID, the after-market barrel would do nothing to stop the impending KB.

Keep in mind that two attributes to the polyogonal rifling in the GLOCK barrels is higher velocity and better accuracy. There's not much to improve upon.

I think many people just like pimping their GLOCK out, and attempt to justify doing so. It would be refreshing to hear just one person admitt that they just like making changes for change's sake, and that it's nothing more than personal preference.

You wanna pimp it? Then Pimp that G-Lock!!:rofl:

13. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

Do the 25 cent trigger job (a general polishing and smoothing of parts). If this new gun is just going to see the range and not be used for defense, install a 4# Wolf striker spring along with your 3.5 connector. This will result in a remarkably good trigger. However, if your new gun IS going to be used for defensive purposes, DO NOT install that striker spring.

Oh, and replace the OEM serrated trigger with a smooth faced trigger (the G22 trigger). This goes a long way in saving your trigger finger from developing a blood blister.

Both of my 23's (one of which is my primary carry piece) have the Glock 3.5 connector (part #00135) and the smooth faced trigger. I have removed a little plastic from the trigger safety tang so that it sits flush with the trigger face when depressed. For carry guns, this is a good setup.

14. smousefam5

smousefam5

Yes, this will be my primary carry gun and while I had planned on installing the connector, I wasn't going to put in the lighter spring. Funny, until I started reading up on them, I didn't realize "pimping" was such a big deal with the Glocks! I thought the Hi-Power and 1911 people where the only real pimps!

15. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Get lots of ammo and mags

16. I.Hate.Glocks.

I.Hate.Glocks.

Welcome to GT! Congrats on going Glock.

17. J. Parker

J. Parker

Welcome to GlockTalk from the Pacific Northwest.:cool:

18. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

They really do feel good in your hand dont they! The g23 was a perfect fit for me...felt great had to have it!

19. ambluemax

ambluemax

No, IMO glock's following on average is just a little dumber/sloppier. Case and point there are quite a few people around here who believe bullet set back is a myth and they don't need to rotate their chambered rounds....yeah:wow:. The its a glock it can do anything mentality is what gets people in trouble. If you are a competent reloader as you say you are, you will have no problem. You should stay away from straight lead bullets because they can cause high pressure issues if the fouling builds up...however I have put 500rds or lead bullets through a g22 (not all at one time and with a few cleanings) before I knew better with no issues. Stick to jacketed bullets within suggested specs and you'll be fine. If you want to shoot lead and save some money, use that barrel you ordered and you'll be good to go aswell.

20. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Congrats on the new G23.