New member here... Glock 19 Gen 4 MOS. Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AKmotorider, Mar 8, 2016.

1. AKmotorider

AKmotorider

Hey everyone! I am a new member here at Glock talk, and I have a quick question for all you Glock experts, specifically regarding the grip. I went against everyone's advice and probably broke one of the ten Glock commandments today when I traded my Glock 17 Gen 3 RTF2 Fish Gill model in excellent condition (gun looked new, 1000 rounds or less) for a brand new Glock 19 Gen 4 Modular Optic System that the guy literally went out and bought just so that he could trade me same day. I had the 17 for only a few months.. I bought it from someone else. However, I am happy with the trade, because the only reason I wanted to get rid of the 17 in the first place was because the grip simply felt much too large in my hand. I never could convince myself that it was acceptable. Every time I held it, I felt like I wanted something smaller. It never felt secure. More like I was holding a 2x4. Even after shooting with it at the range multiple times.

Which is what led me to the 19. If I hadn't already invested hundreds of dollars into extra magazines, holsters, aftermarket parts, a flashlight, etc. for the Glock platform (I bought a lot of crap prematurely, before even shooting my 17...), I would have probably dumped it altogether and bought something with a grip the size of a M&P Shield (used to own one). But since I'd heard so much about the 19 having a smaller footprint on the hand, in addition to the Gen 4's having the smaller frame, I gave it a shot. Now, I'm sitting here with a Glock 19 in my hand, debating whether it is actually too large for my hand or I am just not used to guns with double stack mags... because it, too, feels rather large. Does it feel better than the 17? Wow, miles better. Definitely. But still not right.

On the contrary, I'm an inexperienced shooter who is also inexperienced in holding handguns. In fact, it could be that anything smaller would actually make it harder to shoot and be effective with the gun. It may not "feel right" until I'm holding something the width of a pencil. I can reach all the controls easily, and based off of pictures from the internet, it seems that my fingers come around the gun as far as anyone else's. My hand measures 7 inches from the palm to the tip of my middle finger.

Here are pictures of me holding the gun. I am squeezing as hard as I can.

http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/AKmotorider/media/IMG_09151.jpg.html
    http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/AKmotorider/media/IMG_09161.jpg.html
    http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/AKmotorider/media/IMG_09141.jpg.html

Also, pictures of the 17... and the 19.

http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/AKmotorider/media/IMG_09111.jpg.html
    http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/AKmotorider/media/IMG_08961.jpg.html

What do you think? Do you think my hand is plenty big, and that I'm just crazy? Or am I onto something here? Thanks guys!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. Sombra

Sombra

Your hands don't seem particularly small. They're certainly bigger than some hands of (particularly) smaller female LEOs who use the G19.

As an inexperienced shooter struggling with these problems, I would strongly encourage you to spend some money and get some one-on-one or small group training with a really great shooting instructor. A couple hundred dollars on the front end will save you boat loads in money down the road trying and experimenting with different equipment. (Your issues are most likley not the equipment....) And if you work with the right instructor, you'll also develop good fundamentals that will serve you well for the rest of your shooting life. The huge advantage of professional training is that the instructor can give you real time correction for minor and major adjustments that you wouldn't otherwise realize you need. The correct grip can feel awkward and unnatural at first, but you need to work your way through it until it does feel right. It's kind of like golf or any other similar sport.

Good luck! Stay safe.

svtpwnz likes this.

3. Mike-M

Mike-M

Welcome to Glock Talk!

It's only a matter of committing to the training required to accustom yourself to the weapon. How would any military force accomodate soldiers who accepted only those weapons that fit some personal preference in ergonomics? That accomodation comes through adapting the soldier to the weapon with training, not customizing the weapon to the soldier. Historically, it's a system that seems to have worked for many millions. :)

BTW, your friend who purchased the G19 may wish to review the 2014 US Supreme Court case "Abramski v. US".

Squib308 likes this.
  4. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Well said! I'll add in saying proper grip is extremely important with handguns. If you don't have a proper grip, you will never achieve decent marksmanship. Since you are an inexperienced shooter, I also recommend seeking pistol training from a well qualified instructor.

It will save you a lot of time and money learning the fundamentals and may also save your life someday. The video below is a very good one that explains this. Congrats on your new G19 and I say keep her and train with her! Good luck!

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You like what you like. This can all be measured comparing the trigger reach circumference from all the way around the grip to the trigger.
    G43<XD<1911<G19gen4<G19gen3<92

Or by measuring the grip circumference. You see the result of that looking at the pic with your middle finger not quite reaching the joint of your thumb (but it looks close enough for a good fit).

Just pick the grip that you like and that you shoot well with :)

6. rotorwind

rotorwind

I think u just need to get used to the Glock grip. Another option is go hold a HK VP9 :). Those feel awesome in the hand

7. Sombra

Sombra

I would respectfully disagree with this suggestion. There are objectively more effective shooting techniques that will provide for greater consistency, accuracy, and speed. That may not seem to be what you "like" at first, but only because your body isn't trained. There is a reason why seasoned and professional shooters use very similar grips.

8. Paul53

Paul53 MAKE HATE WRONG AGAIN!

G19 is an excellent weapon.

Ask you psychiatrist about the "crazy" thing.

Bruce M likes this.
  9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

One way to measure objectivity is in comparing competition scores. At the top of IDPA is the Glock 34. But I didn't go with a 34, I went with a 17 for home defense. I liked the way it handled and drew, even though my scores were better with the 34. And for carry I went with the 26, which I score even lower with. But if I didn't feel comfortable holding securely onto the 26, I might have switched to something I feel more confident in retaining during a struggle.

There are all sorts of trade offs. Being comfortable with the grip is an important consideration. Although I will agree with you that one should keep a gun such as Glock or M&P that they've already purchased, and then as they learn to shoot more, they may go back to it and like it more. Unless someone needs the money, giving up on a popular and successful gun too soon may not be a good idea. But where we differ in opinion is I suggest buying whatever feels comfortable to shoot :)

10. Sombra

Sombra

Respectfully agree! VP9s Rock!

11. Sombra

Sombra

I see what you're saying.

12. arrtvandelay

arrtvandelay

Buy 2-300rds, set up a target, load mags and blast away. Only by doing this will you know whether or not the g19 fits you. Holding a pistol in your hand and how it feels during live-fire may give you 2 completely different opinions. My g19s feel better to me when firing than any other compact 9mm I've tried, and I've tried out a lot of them.

After shooting the thing, make an informed decision, keep or sell for something that fits you better. I'd even suggest putting at least a thousand rds throug it before considering getting rid of it. G19s have earned their sterling reputations not by accident. After a thousand rds, if you still don't like it, I'm sure you could easily find a buyer for the MOS model. You'd probably recoup most of your $$$ too. G19s are a very easy sell..,

13. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

Your hands look a little bigger than mine. I have gotten used to the gen3 g19 rtf2;the gen4 g19 fits me even better.
    It's just training that makes it work.

Crazy? You might think so down the road and wish you had that g17 with GILLS back again. I sure wish I
    had a g17 rtf2 with gills. Very desirable Glock,imho.