New member from Ohio. G17 vs 34 for comp. use.

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by Amawaska, Apr 14, 2017.

1. G17

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. G34

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Amawaska

Amawaska

Hey, thank's for the add. There seems to be a lot of knowledge here.

I'm John, 23 from Summit County, OH. I've been shooting guns most of life, and as far as handguns go, I tend to gravitate towards Glock. Recently joined GSSF (haven't competed), and have interest in other events. I have G27 and G43 for carry, but they don't offer much for comp use.

Im looking to get either a G17 or G34. This gun will be used only for competition and at the range. What are some pros and cons of each? And can you upgrade the trigger, barrel etc and still compete with it? If I choose the G34, is the MOS version worth it? Money is and isn't a problem. I'm willing to spend a little extra only if it's genuinely worth it.

Also what are some Low to mid range rifles and shotguns for 3 gun?
    Im considering building my own AR.

Anyways thanks

2. steve1911

steve1911

Welcome!

1911club#410

3. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

Enjoy GT.............:welcome:

4. crzteacher

crzteacher

The G34 is better for me than the G17 for USPSA. But you'll be able to use the G17 in a lot more competitions. At GSSF (coming up in Ohio) the 17 category is better for a novice to compete in because of the category you need to move to with the 34. (Take a look at the GSSF match rules.) If you get the MOS you're a little more limited in after market sights but you can an optic very easily so if you want to get into that category of competition as well you'd need to go MOS. Trigger replacement/improvement is easy for both, as is other aftermarket items. Unless you really want to go into the optics competitions, I would go with the 17 - any gen. I would also advise you to compete in or at least watch the GSSF matches as well as make sure you get your coupon for a discount on a new Glock purchase. With the 43 and the 27 you'll have a great time at the matches. For competing in other matches. I'd suggest getting a used 17 for about $400 (easily found) and get your coupon to get a new 34 (they're a bit pricier and harder to find on the used market.)

5. Firearmfanatic

Firearmfanatic The Enabler

Welcome to the forum! Though I am familar with the 17, I am not familar with the 34 so I cant make a recommendation between the two.

6. crzteacher

crzteacher

I have both. Love to compete with the 34MOS. Charlie Vanek trigger is great. Get one! Dawson Precision sights. Haven't gotten into the optics yet.

Also have a 17 with standard trigger that may get some work and Truglo sights all set up for home use. Starting to get ir raedy for GSSF as well.

7. mcoe74

mcoe74 Life is good

Welcome to the forum.

8. bac1023

bac1023

:welcome:

Best to ask question and run polls in General Glocking. This is the intro forum.

9. janice6

janice6

10. ESAFO

ESAFO

welcome aboard enjoy your stay from a fellow BUCKEYE.