New Member/First Glock/G19 Help Please?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by durabo, Feb 17, 2010.

1. durabo

durabo

Hello Glockers!

So i bought my first handgun a couple days ago. A Gen4 Glock 19. First of all let me say i LOVE it! I did alot of research before i purchased it and wasnt sure if glock was the way i was going to go for my first handgun, all of my experience before this was with rifles.

I had originally been torn between the G17, Sig 250, FNP-9, and the XD. But i got to the shop and the G19 stole my heart, it points and feels like its part of me. I Love My Gun.

So i have now started to look into some upgrades, and run into some questions.

The slide release is reaaaally stiff and starting to wear a hole in my thumb from doing repetition drills...

- will this smooth out and loosen up with time, or should i go ahead and buy the extended slide release for it? also i saw on a site that they had the extended slide release or a slide release with sure touch? whats the difference? which is better? will i have to modify my gun at any point to fit any of this on there?

- same questions apply to the magazine release

i have purchased tijicon tritium night sights, and a pearce grip extension.

im thinking about buying a hogue grip cover, to lighten up on the abrasiveness of the stippling.

so anything else i should be buying accessory wise?

i intend to buy a green laser, purely for coolness factor, im more of an iron sights shooter.

im thinking about lightening up the trigger, not for any practical reason yet, because i have actually gotten to shoot it yet, been so busy since i bought it.

but i read that the stock trigger is a little crappy? is a trigger mod recommended?

i intend to use this for a PDW, but still want accuracy on the range, and would like this to be a good all around weapon in case SHTF.

- will a trigger mod effect any of this for good or bad?

i really appreciate you reading my huge wall of text and thanks in advance if you can give me advice on any of these thoughts, and maybe recommend some things to look into for upgrading and modifying my new glock!

edit. - i have a Glock 19 Gen 4 RTF2, im now reading that the abrasiveness of the grip isnt just in my head? its a thing other people have noticed as well? is the hogue grip cover the best way to combat this?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. ken grant

ken grant

Don't do nuttin except shoot it.Spend your money on ammo.
    As far as the slide release, leave it alone and slingshot the slide.

3. durabo

durabo

i hear that, i do just want to shoot it, but i also want to maximize the potential of this great gun and fine tune it so it fits me and is reliable and easy to use in a high stress situation.

the slide release and mag release and even the grip stippling arent problems per say, but they are minor quirks that make me hesitate or become distracted while im holding my pistol.

im just looking for some thoughts on streamlining this and making it more comfortable in tense situations when i dont want to be distracted by minor irritations

4. bentbiker

bentbiker

The RTF2 is a Gen3, not 4. They haven't made a Gen4 G19 yet.

5. durabo

durabo

well then... the guy at the store lied to me.

.... i wonder how i should feel about that...

6. richie3888

richie3888

Yeah I called glock yesterday and they said it's not out yet. So you must have a gen 3 still. Still a great gun tho. +1 on buying a lot of ammo.

7. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

lol i read the first couple lines of op and though my guy lied to me!!!:wow:

but yeah cant go wrong w/ a gen3. and rtf ftw!

8. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

+1 on ammo as well both my Glocks are stock. The laser would be cool but the rest will break-in over time. The grip cover would be a cheap and easy mod that I would try first before drastically changing the G19 first.

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

to screw it up before you SHOOT it is---------

Butch competed for years (and won A LOT OF TIMES)

With an eight pound connector.

10. Glock+2

Glock+2

11. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Welcome to the dark side. :supergrin:

And don't tamper with your Glock untill you shoot a few thousand rounds through it and know what you're doing. It's never too late to add lasers, grips, sights, triggers and bayonets.

:wavey:

12. jpdopes

jpdopes

Shoot it before you do any mods. Also, try a bicycle inner tube before you buy the hogue grip--I prefer it to the Hogue and it's a lot cheaper.

13. Apothecurious

Apothecurious Pharmacist

regarding the abrasive grip... I personally just used the gun more, and the grip lost some of its abrasiveness on its own and feels much more natural now.

If that doesn't do it for you, you can take some medium grit sandpaper and lightly sand off the points on all the little pyramids on the grip to make it less aggressive.

14. CPG19

CPG19

I also have G19 for about two month . and Love It ! as for me , I only added Talon Grip ( which i like ) .. thats about it ..
    Keep it mind .. I heard , when you start Modding and something happens , you no longer have warranty for it . so i heard .
    my G19 is going to stay stock and no issues what so ever .. but damm so hard tho .. so much stuff i want to do ..

15. gee-seventeen

gee-seventeen GLOCK ARMORER

At this point, what with you not even having shot it, other than the night sights, any money you spend on mods is just throwing money down a rat hole...Stock is how it became the great gun it is...Buy mags and ammo and try it for a few thousand rounds first. Changing the gun won't make you a good shot, PRACTICE will make you a good shot.

16. tremor64

tremor64

welcome aboard, friend - your G19 is a great handgun - beyond night sights I wouldn't do a thing - in particular don't mess with the slide stop lever as it is not meant for use as a slide release - use the palm down overhand method to briskly retract and release the slide - the one bit of advice we'll all agree on is to get some good basic training and shoot as often as you can afford to - also - ENJOY, friend!

17. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Welcome to the site. 19 is a good choice. All you need now is maybe a extended slide release and maybe night sites. Go in steps.

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

an AGrip would solve some of your ?

You Do know that you only have to retract the slide about 1/8 inch to reset the trigger when dry firing?

19. mtnglocker

mtnglocker

I'm from the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. Hundreds of thousands (very rough estimate) LEOs across the globe have to carry box stock Glocks and trust their lives to them. Competition is a different world if that is what you're into, so some aftermarket parts may help your score on the range. But, if you want reliability, leave it alone, have fun and shoot it a lot.

20. Taz

Taz

Thousands of LEO carry stock guns because their departments won't let them mod them due to legal concerns not because stock suits their shooters.

With that said wait on modding till you have had a chance to get a case or two down range. Since this is your first gun and you have yet to shoot it you don't know what will suit your shooting. Aside from locking the slide back during administrative handling I have rarely used the release as I sling shot the slide. You may realize that the stock mag release is just right for you.... Aside from some night sights wait till you figure out your shooting style before modding the gun. That way you can buy and add accessories that complement you and not hinder you.