New Match Grade Barrel Looks Like It Gives Good Reasults.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GPutt33, May 2, 2016.

1. GPutt33

GPutt33 Love My Glocks

Got to go to the new range today and try out my new barrel. Since I haven't been able to get out to shoot since January, I put 2 mags through the stock barrel of my Glock 19 just to get the feel of it and the new trigger. I then installed the new barrel and this is the result of the back to back mags, OEM vs Match Grade at 7 yards. OEM group on the right and the DEM barrel group on the left. Flyers totally on me........ kind of rusty I guess.

[​IMG]

I went on to shoot a mag down range at each distance of 25, 15, 10 and 7 yards and all gave be better groups. Trigger worked flawlessly as well. I think I'm going to like this fat face trigger. This new range is totally awesome as well. Today was the very first time for members to come and shoot. They have over 70 lanes downstairs contained in 50,000 sq ft. Two 25 yd ranges, a 50 yd, and a 10 lane 100 yd range. They have over 70,000 sq ft upstairs which is the retail gun shop, a gun smith. 3 big class rooms, a coffee shop, lounge, a gun vault room with almost 300 vaults in it we can use, as well as a restaurant which is not open yet. Liberty Firearms Institute in Johnstown, CO. Going to be spending a lot of time down there :)

[​IMG]

Deus Ex Machina match grade barrel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Taco Junkie and glide like this.
  2. jbglock

jbglock Manos Arriba

Seems like a huge improvement. Once you get back in practice (no fliers) I'd be interested in the same test with a little extra distance. I always hated threads about how great a barrel is that were NOT like this.

Cred's Cariad and GPutt33 like this.

3. GPutt33

GPutt33 Love My Glocks

I'll be going more often now that I'm both back on my feet and the gun range has opened up. 10 miles out the front door and I'm pulling into the parking lot I'll post more results from more trips. I did take it out to 25, 15, 10 and 7 yards and could still tell a nice difference in grouping. Stay tuned

4. glide

glide Just sayin'

Great range report. The indoor range/gun shop sounds fantastic!!! You guys in the free states have it good. I can only imagine how your local shooting facilities are like. Enjoy and be safe.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  5. GPutt33

GPutt33 Love My Glocks

Thanks. I think I am very lucky to have had this gun range built so close. I think it will be considered a world class facility once it's completely up and running. I'm really looking forward to using the live fire sim room. Has 3 stalls in it and should be interesting to say the least. This facility actually has a pretty nice FB page with a lot of pictures taken since the ground breaking. In Face Book type in Liberty Firearms Institute and it should pop up on the list.

6. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Did you put the stock barrel back in again after you got warmed up, or did you just shoot that one cold grouping with it?

7. jbglock

jbglock Manos Arriba

Never heard of DEM so I just looked up their site so I could check on barrel prices. Wow! But seeing as how you got an actual improvement I can't say too much bad I guess. Long ago I tried a Lone Wolf in a 23 and saw no improvement back to back with the factory barrel using factory jacketed or my own reloads.

8. GPutt33

GPutt33 Love My Glocks

I put 2 mags through the stock barrel and the 2nd mag was that right hand target. I then switched barrels and the left target was with a cold barrel. With hat being said though, I went through a total of 9 more mags through the new barrel and if anything I got even a few better groups. I just took a pic of this one because it was the only one that showed both barrels on the same sheet. Like I said I took it all the way out to 25, 15, 10 and back to 7 yards and was really pleased with it. I also shot my 26 and 43. I ran two mags through my 26 at 10 yards and thought it looked more like a load of 00 buck out of my Mossy..... Wasn't to happy with my shooting with that one, but it's my newest Glock and still getting use to it and breaking it in.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

Might be interesting to have someone else try both barrels to see what kind of accuracy gains could be had.

10. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

11. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

That's a pretty interesting result.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

No offense, but that isn't a barrel accuracy difference.

At 7 yards, every single stock Glock Barrel I have ever seen, and any one without serious damage, will shoot a tighter group than your match grade barrel. The difference in group size is not a difference in mechanical accuracy between those two barrels. Meaning: both the inaccuracy of the stock barrel and the accuracy of the new barrel is in your mind and trigger finger - if the new barrel is more accurate, it would be accuracy measured in millimeters, at that distance.

Unfortunately, if you aren't competing in bullseye matches, a "match grade" barrel is a waste of money, even for competitive shooters.

screwedby likes this.
  13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

That's about my take too. Indoor 7 yard groups with an OE barrel should be about the size of one of the numerals under the individual targets. So maybe the OE group he printed is an accurate representation of his mechanical skill. It's interesting how the group from the aftermarket barrel shrinks up around a similar centroid. Could that be from heightened expectations?

14. GPutt33

GPutt33 Love My Glocks

Well like I said, due to a 3 month illness that had me down this was the first I've had a chance to shoot in over 3 months and so I admit I'm rusty. Above I did say that I also shot full mags at 25, 15, 10 and again at 7 yards and I still had good groups, but not as good as when I've been shooting regularly. Time and more range time is what's going to prove it to me. I don't shoot as much as many but probably average 1000+ rounds per month. But that is also spread out over 10 different pistols, from 45 to 10 to 9's.