new mags or more ammo

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TOMMYT22, Mar 19, 2010.

1. TOMMYT22

TOMMYT22 Average Fellow

Which would you spend Birthday money on if you had to choose between a couple more mags or more ammo to practice? I have a new G22 RTF2 I got a month back and have 300 rounds fired. I have a good holster and good night sights, so what would be the choice you would make?

Tommy T:stooges:

Attached Files:

2. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

Does it come with 3 mags? If so go with ammo... as fun as it to have more "stuff", squeezing off rounds without worrying about running out is a much better feeling!

3. TOMMYT22

TOMMYT22 Average Fellow

Just the two mags. Maybe I go with 1 more mag and some ammo! best of both worlds.

4. rd3

rd3

depends on how many mags and how much ammo you currently have. Min of 3 mags for me for any handgun I own, one in the gun, 2 on my hip, but that's just me. absolute min of 500 rounds of ammo for any gun I own which is the point where I purchase 1000 rounds so I always have between 500 and 1500 rounds at any time, not so much for the massive gun fight but because you never know when its going to be hard to find again. most of what I have are target loads

mags are no good without ammo
    what do you have

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. James Dean

James Dean

I would split it between the two. You could also wait and go to a gun show and find a better price on Mags.

6. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

I try to have at least 5 mags per pistol, just in case. Depending on how much birthday $$$ I got, I'd at least buy 1 more mag plus the ammo.

7. TOMMYT22

TOMMYT22 Average Fellow

I have about 400 rounds of target and 100 rounds of SD ammo. I do need to practice, so it will not last long. Empty mags are not good, I agree with that. I did find a link here on GT for a place that has gen 4 mags for the G22 for $19.99. If that is going to be the norm, I will wait for the mags.

8. TOMMYT22

TOMMYT22 Average Fellow

I used to love gun shows, but as I grew older, I just couldn't stand that many people at once.

9. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

How much you have to spend?
    How much ammo can you buy with that $?
    I'd buy ammo. Mags pop up on sale all the time. Save $ for those times & then buy them.

10. rappa29

rappa29 JAFO

Ammo. As already posted, you can get mags anytime and usually find deals in the classifieds.

Ammo in my area (Tampa, FL) is still hard to come by. I bought my last 1000rds via the interwebs. Can't even find 100rds of cheap practice 9mm in my area, let alone 1000.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  11. Lugi

Lugi

12. mteagle1

mteagle1

I'd buy 1 mag and some ammo. I remember the Klinton mag ban where $15 mags started selling for $100.

13. BigJoe13

BigJoe13

Personally I like to have at least 6 mags per gun. About 600 rounds per gun in that caliber. But that is just me. Usually 3 mags are practice and the other three get funtion tested on one or two range trips then go to backup status. Ammo in stores is still pricey here, so I can go for a few months before finding a deal on more and not sweat it. Also, tend to keep enough SD ammo on hand to load the 3 mags.

I would suggest getting one more mag and ammo to you.

14. Kona2004

Kona2004

I like to have at least five or six mags per gun. The range I go to most often is paid for by the hour (or half hour) so I seldom, if ever, have to spend time loading magazines.

15. Ryanty12

Ryanty12

^agree. im in same area and they are always sold out.

I say 1 mag and the rest ammo. DO it like that everytime.

16. ronin.45

ronin.45

Good choice. 3 mags will get you through anything you want to do and more ammo is always a good choice.

17. cciman

cciman

Ammo

Realistically,
    The only time you need more than 2 Glock mags is if you are competing or taking a tactical class, then usually 3 will do.

18. Mando20

Mando20

I love to have extra mags but would definately opt for more ammo in your situation.

19. liljojo4711

liljojo4711

ammo. i just got 3 boxes of federal (even though wal mart has a 2 box limit here :) ) for $14 each. gotta get it while u can. they didnt have any .40 ammo here for 3 weeks.

20. dubels

dubels

Depends on what you do? How many mags do you use when just hitting paper at the range? I only use about 3 since the target gets a little distracting and I loose track of where I am hitting after 30+ rounds. If you plan to just go out into the woods and plink 4+ is a good mag count. If you plan to shoot competitions 5+ is a must. But also ammo is a must. Reloading gear would be optimal.