New load, better grouping...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BurkGlocker, Mar 20, 2010.

1. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

I found a new load for my Stevens 200 in .308 Win. 41.5 grains of IMR's XBR 8208 in Remington brass trimmed to 2.005" primed with Federal LR primers, topped with 165 grain SSTs and a COAL of 2.815".

The first 3 shots were within a half an inch, probably less, as I didnt have anything to measure with at the range. But I always keep reading, "Oh, three shots dont count, gotta do five", so I went ahead and did five, but those stayed within 3/4". But I figured, the load was doing so well, I might as well go for broke and do ten shots. The ninth shot was within an inch, but that tenth shot I think up and decided that it was going to fly out of the single ragged hole. Oh well... I allowed the barrel to cool for the first three shots, but the consecutive shots only got a few mins between them. Not bad for a $300 rifle/stock/scope combo...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. BurkGlocker

I am really liking the new XBR powder. I was using Varget and H4895, and I just thought that they were the bees knees. But to find a powder right in between the two, its really nice. The powder is a short cut, and meters really well. It doesnt fill the case up quite as much as Varget, but even the load that I was using is relatively light according to the IMR/Hodgdon website. But I gotta say, I am really impressed with it. Next time around, I am buying 8 lbs instead of only one...

BG

3. hometheaterman

hometheaterman

What scope are you using on it? This at 100 yards?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  4. BurkGlocker

Its a BSA Huntsman 4-16x40 and yes at 100 yards...

5. Berto

Berto woo woo

Nice shooting.

Fate usually throws a flyer on the last shot of the group, it's like a Law.

6. BurkGlocker

At least I know how my rifle is going to group after more than five rounds are fired though. Start aiming lower and to the right after the first five, especially if the distance is going to be over 100 yards. I used to have a .300 WIN MAG that would start shooting lower after the first five shots. I guess it has to do with the grain of the steel and how it is oriented after being mated to the action. I am absolutely content with how my rifle shoots now. Before with the OEM stock, I couldnt get it to group smaller than an inch and a half to two inches. Now with my Boyds stock, it does that on its worst day and better. For a cheap rifle I couldnt be any more content...

BG

7. farmer2

farmer2

Very nice shooting!

8. BurkGlocker

1/2" group with an old load. 165 gr GameKing HPBT over 43.2 grains of H4895 loaded in surplus military brass. Had some left over from a couple years ago, and it shoots just as good as the rest.
    [​IMG]

My rifle: Stevens Model 200 with a Boyd's stock, topped with BSA Huntsman 4-16x40 in Leupold rings and bases.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also learned from a LEO buddy that was out there how to shoot more accurate groups using only my thumb, forefinger and supporting the stock on my shoulder and on my range bag. It closed my groups up conciderably.

BG