close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New little Buddy!!!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by scowan007, Sep 1, 2004.

1. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

If you read my other threads you know that I had to say goodbye to my Rottie, Claus, a couple weeks ago, and that I have been trying to get a new pup (wanted to get it while Claus was still around but that didn't work out).

Well, This weekend I went a picked up "Iggy" the South African Boerboel.

He's a sweetie. Always at my feet. He's sleeping between my feet as I type this.

Here is a pic:

2. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

3. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Good looking puppy!!!

Congrats! :)

4. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

In the words of the sage Eric Cartman...
    "kickass!"

congrats on the new pooch/future burglar-Cuisinart!

5. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

scowan007,
    congrats man he is awesome looking!:)
    Glad to see you crate training too, makes my life so much easier when people do it;f
    another good name for him woulda been "Felon Repellent";f ;f

6. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Thanks all,
    yup, he's probably going to be a big 'un.

Here's a pic of his pop. 140 lbs of solid muscle. Sweet dog, though.

7. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Mike, your post reminded me of that time you came to visit, and when I got home you were in the corner of the living room clutching a mop, while Claus was trying to get out of the kitchen, trying to eat you. Ahh, good times!

8. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

DAMNIT that wasn't me.;f ;f ;f
    I tried hot dogs but he just wouldnt eat them

9. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

G20man,
    That was for mwinter (who coincidentally, I believe is also a G20 man), who almost took a tour through my rottie's digestive system!;f

PS-crate training is proving problematic. This dog must have been dropped on his head or something. He got used to the crate ok, Yelping first day, a little whimpering now and then, but basically he likes it and sleeps and eats ok in there, will even take toys in there to play. Here's the weird part. He'll be playing with a toy in the living room, walk into the crate, and pee. I've never seen that before. Dogs aren't supposed to like to eliminate where they eat and sleep. I'm a bit stumped. Doing corrections and taking him outside when I catch him. Hope that helps. He responds pretty well to the corrrections. Shuts down mid stream and finishes when I get him outside.

I'll probably start a new thread about this, see if anyone wants to put there$.02 in on it.

10. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Yeah mwinter is another 10mm freak I see him bidding all over the place on delta's;f not that I blame him mind you.;f Wish I had the cash right now for one...;Q

Ok, crate training problem:
    I see this a lot from the larger breeds and breeders who werent as faithful as they could have been taking the pups outside the whelping box to relieve themselves. This can be a huge problem to break but can be done. First step remove the padding in the crate. ;m with the excuses "but its so rough in there", he will be fine. The reason being is that the pad will soak up any pee and he will not have to lay in it.
    Next take some 1x (read wood slats) and cut the crate in half length wise so he only has half the room. This way if he pees he will be in it.
    #3 feed and water him in the crate only!!
    If you want to talk about really housebreaking we can cover that too.;f
    My definition of housebreaking is by the time the dog is 6 months old they dont go in the house PERIOD!! they wait for you to take them outside wheather it be 2hours or 20hours....
    good luck and holler if you need any help

11. fishthrower

fishthrower G19 G23 G20 G29

I totally agree with the above post. I have a large breed puppy, a chesapeake bay retreiver whose dad goes about 115lbs. I also have the same crate that you have. The reason he makes in there is probably because it's too large for him. They do not typically go where they lay, but if it is too large in there they don't feel like the whole thing is their den, hence the pee. I would cut the size down to 1/3 of full and see how that works. It worked really well for us, he is 6 and 1/2 months and has NEVER gone in his crate!

GOOD LUCK

12. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Thanks G20 and fish,
    The crate came with a divider, guess I'll use it. Took the pad out to wash it last night and he hasn't "gone" in there today.

I don't think it was an issue with the breeder. I went there and the pups had free rein in a large grassy area several times a day. These were good folks.

I do feed him in the crate but have been leaving a water bowl out in the kitchen. I'll move it into the crate.

13. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

10mm freak indeed....selling my 610 but have an enhanced Colt Delta inbound...woohoo!

And as for Klaus.....well Steve your dog might have eaten me (that's pretty much what I'd resigned myself to....if I could've reached your liquor cabinet I might've died quite happy!), but the act would've been fatal to us both, one way or the other.
    If by some miracle I didn't dispatch him beforehand, having even a single ounce of Mwinter in the ol' guts would doom any living thing. ;f Just ask the last snake that bit me hehe.

Great dog all the way around....gigantic, too. What was he, 'bout 160? I seem to remember at some point when I was WAY fit, that Klaus weighed more than me ;P

Let me know if you need any tips on training him to be evil. My alligator snapper finally killed off the things living in the tank with him, probably because gets a drop or two of my blood in his tank each day (kidding).

Out of curiousity, whats the snout like on your new pooch's breed? We just had a big search and rescue hullabaloo out this way, and they had some tracking dogs out for a spin.

14. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

MW,
    I'd kind of like to get a 610 someday (along with pretty much every other gun ever made).

Clausewitz topped out at 155 when he was still active and muscular.

Believe me, I know the level of your toxicity. After your last visit, I had to wall off the guest bathroom. Nothing would get the uberdeathfunk out.

As far as your evil training tips.. NO THANKS. I've seen what you can do to a 10 lb. cat. Dude, in addition to making Tom's cat loyal to Satan, you actually made its teeth grow longer and sharper! To heck with that nonsense on a 120+ lb. pooch.

Boerboels are "working" dogs. Built to pull heavy things, herd stupid things, and hurt dangerous things. "Hound" group dogs are more suited to sniffing for stuff. I have heard that people use these dogs for Schutzhund, which I believe has a tracking element, but that's not what these guys were bred for,

15. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

Great looking puppy. I love puppies. I can't go into a pet store, I want to take them all home.;i

16. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Thanks Eddie,
    I'm the same way. You should have seen me when I went to pick him up and got swarmed by his bro's and sis's.;P :)

17. B27

B27 57 state tour! CLM

What a handsome pup!:)
    You are very fortunate.

18. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Wow. Great pictures. He is very cool and very cute. Good luck with him. G20man32904 knows his stuff. I would definitely take his advice when it comes to dogs. Give Iggy a treat from me.:)

19. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

You know it. Best of luck with the little (for now anyways;)) guy and you've got a trusted and loyal buddy for many, many years. God Bless!

20. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Thanks for the attaboy Jeep274^c
    Scowan is off to a good start, he got a great pup and he is listening to good advice so far;f
    I do expect a pm anyday about the housebreaking though;)
    At least I hope so, I love to make dogs happy with their owners!!!