close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New knives need help!

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by CranialCrusader, Mar 21, 2006.

1. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

I went to an outlet mall a bit over a week ago and managed to score this set of Calphalon knives for $50! They were cheap because the box was destroyed, but all the knives were perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007IT3D/102-0689311-0770551?v=glance&n=284507

Anyway, I've been using them every day (wondering how I got along without them) but I have yet to use the steel.

I did a google search and read the instructions and found that I need to hold the knife at a 22 degree angle and slide the knife 4 times on each side. I also read that I need to do this every time I use the knives.

The problem is that I don't really like the descriptions, and I'm paranoid about ruining the knives by doing it improperly. Does anyone have some tips so I don't mess this up?

Thanks,
    CranialCrusader

2. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

22 degrees sounds ok. I've been a meat cutter in my earlier life, and I keep all my kitchen knives sharp. Really all a steel is doing is straightening the edge put on the knife. After a good bit of use a knife will need to have a new edge put on with a sharpening stone.

One caveat though, if the steel is one of the types with small ridges on it as opposed to a smooth steel, it won't take much pressure on the knife to straighten the edge. The steel w/ridges will do a small bit of sharpening as well as straightening on the edge.

Be careful with the hand holding the steel while you are steeling the knife. A lot of people have cut themselves in that process. Watch where you place your thumb so as to keep it out of the way of the knife. Practice with an old knife and you will get the hang of it. Just do an equal number of strokes on each side of the blade.

Hope that's not too confusing.

Mike

3. CranialCrusader

CranialCrusader

Thanks guys!

Tha function of the steel was one thing that I was confused about. Some online sites said a steel will sharpen and others said that it would straighten the edge. This helps clear things up.

I'm pretty sure my steel has ridges on it, but they are quite fine.

I was planning on getting the knives professionally sharpened when the time came. Although if I could get a quality (maybe like the one mentioned?) sharpener and learn to do it properly it might be worth it.

CranialCrusader