New kitten with unformed stools

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by ProfMoriarty, Sep 15, 2005.

1. ProfMoriarty

ProfMoriarty

My little feline heartbreaker who came home last nite, seems perfectly happy, healthy, and active, but she's had several unformed stools over the past 24 hours.

She goes in the litter box, no accidents, and they're not liquid or mucous laden.

She was prophylactically treated for parasites, etc. one week ago.

Are the unformed stools usually a sign of a GI problem or could it be the "stress" of a new environment and a slightly different diet?

I guess the bottom line is: how long to observe her until I take her to the vet?

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

What are you feeding her?

It could be stress/weaning/new food or she could be not tolerating her food well...

Fred can't eat very many foods---he can eat Hills Science Diet. Anything else gives him major runs!! I am talking $300 trips to the vet kinda runs ;P

3. ProfMoriarty

ProfMoriarty

I took the cute lil' money pit to the vet today to have her checked out.

Changed her diet somewhat and gave her another deworming course of treatment.

I'm gonna look into Hills as well.

4. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

When I got Picabo she had diarrhea for what seemed like an eternity (about a month). Had to put her on a regimen of antibiotics.

Some of those intestinal parasites are a bear to get rid of.

5. ProfMoriarty

ProfMoriarty

Well, Cayenne's GI issues resolved after her first day on Rx.

It must have been like dragging an anchor, because immediately after jettisoning the extra ballast, she discovered her jumping abilities. Now she's a permanent resident on my desk whenever I'm at the computer, since she's figured out to jump from a spare twin bed I keep in my office (can't use it to organize paperwork on any more) to the desk.

She likes to go after the moving cursor on the screen. I'm going to try to put an end to this stare at the monitor practice because I don't want her to need glasses.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yup, sounds like she has her human just where she wants him ;f