New Kalifornia escapee

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by anyone, May 8, 2018.

1. anyone

anyone

Greetings Everyone,

I'm still stuck with my primary residence in Kalifornia and a secondary in Northern Idaho. I just mention that first because in Kalifornia, Glocks that are newer than gen 3 as well as many of the older Glocks are currently banned as "unsafe handguns".

On a personal level, I have to admit that up until a couple years ago - I really never cared much for Glocks. Hold the tar and feathers a few more minutes guys! My problem was that I really never liked the HK VP70z or the P9s, so I was a bit reluctant to embrace another polymer handgun. After shooting a first generation Glock, I liked them even less because of the ergonomics, like the grip angle, the slippery surface of the polymer, unfamiliar trigger, and what I perceived as "poor balance" due to the light-weight. I also couldn't shoot one as well as any other gun I owned. That said, I always liked the reliability and durability, and recommended to many folks to look them over.

Fast-forward to 2016 - when one of my friends insisted that I shoot his gen 3 G17. After running a couple magazines, I was really surprised that I shot this pistol well and it seemed to "point" much better than the one I'd fired long ago. Then my friend introduced me to the G34 and my whole attitude changed. I now actually wanted one! In November of 2017, I became the proud owner of an OD green G34 and the rest is history.

Since then, the bug has really bitten me and now I've gone crazy building various versions of the Polymer80 pistols. The Polymer80's grip angle and texture (I opted for the Brownell's "aggressive texture" in coyote) solved the few remaining issues I still had. There are a lot of Glock fans that don't understand why a non-prohibited person would want to spend nearly as much to build a pistol (and quite possibly MORE) than a new Glock sells for. The improved ergonomics and ability to select whatever options I want is the motivating factor in building my own.

Anyway, once I make Idaho my primary residence - I plan to celebrate by purchasing a new Glock 41.

2. BobR1

BobR1

I wish you luck escaping the land of Fruits and Nuts as soon as possible.
    I have never seen a G41 show up at the Range. I hope you enjoy yours, when you get it.

Bob R

LASTRESORT20 and anyone like this.

3. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

Enjoy GT.............:welcome:

4. bac1023

bac1023

5. ZX12R

ZX12R Silver Member

Welcome to GT!

6. Heavy4Caliber

Heavy4Caliber

Welcome aboard from North Carolina, and good luck on the "breakout!"

7. anyone

anyone

Many Thanks for the hearty welcome!

My escape will move into high gear once I sell the ranch land that I'd bought to retire on. Bare land is difficult to sell right now but houses are selling like hotcakes for big money (so at least half is good news).

About the only thing that Kalifornia really has (more than any other state) is a huge variety of ethnic food - some really good and others just as bad. More than anything it's just the incredible variety of really well made food that I've not found everywhere else, and I've lived around the U.S. I suppose even the crappiest places have at least something that stands out. But not counting restaurants, Northern Idaho has it all of everything else over this dump..

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  8. Truth&Balance

Truth&Balance Silver Member

9. Cynthia7421

Cynthia7421

Welcome to GT!

:waving::dancingbanana::music::devildance:

10. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I moved from the belly of the beast (Los Angeles) in 1998 and there are only two things I miss. The ocean beaches and all that great ethnic food especially Jewish delicatessens, Sushi, Tempura, Pink's Hot dogs, Tommyburgers, and Pecos Bill's Okie Bar-b-q. And the best Mexican food in the entire city was on those big catering trucks and one or two little hole in the wall restaurants around the city.

My favorite was next to a 7-11 on Santa Monica Blvd near Laurel Canyon. And it wasn't even strictly Mexican food because the people that ran the place were Salvadoran but the quality of the food was outstanding.

Lawry's Steak house was also good and there was a pub on Sunset boulevard called the Cock and Bull that had good prime rib for a reasonable price. Some of these places might not be there anymore. Leo's Ribs in the Crenshaw district closed down but Pinks, Tommys, and Pecos Bills (on Glenoaks over by Griffith Park)are still there. Another great place was the western bagel company where you could get freshly cooked bagels.

anyone likes this.
  11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Welcome to GT.

I CCW the G41 and like it very much.

12. steve1911

steve1911

Welcome!

1911club#410

13. anyone

anyone

Minus the ocean, it's pretty much like that where I am right now - so I'm definitely relating to that. A friend of mine even got me to try (dot) Indian food and while I won't eat 60% of it, but there are some incredibly tasty meat dishes.

We've got a lot of lakes up north and some of the best 4x4 trails around. Anyway, I used to have to travel to So Cal in my job and as much as I hated the traffic down there, at least I was getting paid well for sitting in it.

Oh my! Now THAT is serious!! :notworthy:
    I neglected to mentioned that I've noticed the forum has lot of bells and whistles that I am unaccustomed to, but I'm learning a little at a time. It'll probably take me longer than it did to learn how to detail strip and assemble a Glock. :couch:

14. JohnyWalter

JohnyWalter

Howdy,welcome!I`m also new!:cheers:

anyone likes this.
  15. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

I became a political refugee from that state 20 years ago for two main reasons: 1. Traffic 2. Restrictions on liberty. My reasoning was it would only get worse over time. I go back every year to visit friends and family and I marvel at the beauty and begin to wonder why I left. Then I get stuck in a traffic jam or watch the local news and observe the crazy over-the-top politics, and I am reminded why -- because the negatives far outweigh the positives. Welcome to GT.

anyone and JohnyWalter like this.
  16. kaisooba

kaisooba

Welcome!

anyone likes this.
  17. flyby1971

flyby1971

Hello and Welcome.

18. forty5

forty5

Hello from KY.

19. LinuxLover

LinuxLover O-o-o-o-o!

A California ex-pat here too - with a stopover in Snowflake, AZ for a while.

Don't you hate it when the BEST Mexican food is ---

......................wait for it...............................

......................................a little longer ................................

Taco Bell?

There is NO good Mexican food in Montana. So don't be slipping across our border to look for any! There aren't even enough Mexicans here - except in cherry picking season - then they all go south for the rest of the year.

And don't bother looking for Chinese food either - there aren't enough Jews in all of Montana to help support a Chinese restaurant.
    And Italian food too - another dud. They sell Chef Boy-Ar-Dee and call it 'Authentic Italian".
    Now --- beef and potatoes!
    And for some arcane reason, there are good fresh (eg: living, in the shell) clams and oysters here. But there ain't any real donuts!
    No Jack-In-The-Box, no Pioneer Chicken, no 7-11, nor Der Wienerschnitzels either! (That's a harsh one to not have. I love a good kraut dog).

Those are just some of the food sources I miss - well, that and the ocean - but I cannot stand what happened to SoCal and had to move to even breathe.

SoCal smog was so bad I'd cough a lung up and pee blood for a few days after each foray into civilized areas below 3500 feet. Then the air got bad above 3500 feet and I got outta there.

Prolly some of the best junk food is Costco's hotdogs and pizza slices. Cheap .... and the beef is great even if the 'pizza' is not up to par with real Sicilian pizza.

Welcome to (even if it's Idaho) a place with skies, water, snow and four seasons.

Just stay on your side of The Bitterroot Mountains. We catch Idahoans at the border, scoop out their insides and turn them into snow suits for our children.

You've been warned.

20. pgg00

pgg00

Howdy from someone else who fled that state