Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made the jump, and picked up my first Kahr. A brand new, Black P9 w/Standard Sights (will be installing Tritium XS Big Dots) at Lou's Police Supply in Hialeah today. I got a great deal, and am really looking forward to heading to the range this weekend! I know that the typical break in period for Kahr's is 200-300 rounds. I've already broken it down, and given it a good cleaning and lube. Is there anything else I should do in preparation for my trip to the range, or anything I should look out for during, or make sure I do while in the intitial break in period? Thanks in advance for any pointers! I'll post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought a Kahr P9 from Lou's a few months ago. Gave me a great price. Love that place.

With that being said, I wound up selling it about a month after purchasing. I put about 300 or so rounds through it, but had too many stovepipes and FTEs that I wasn't fully comfortable using it as an every day carry. I know it can take a few more rounds than that to fully break in, but I wasnt impressed. Having never shot a Kahr before, I also wasn't particularly thrilled with the trigger. Just my opinion...as most people I've spoken to are huge fans.

Wound up going with a Walther PPS instead. Love it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Nice..Sounds like you got the bases covered..I need a Kahr in my collection..Any carry gun needs a min of 200 rounds fired before it is wise to CCW it!

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
You have a great pistol!
I own glocks,hks,sig,cz,colts,ruger,brownings and 1911's,
But i carry a kahr p9.
The only mods, grip tape and wolff reduced striker spring and a polish job,
This really made a good trigger better.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great guns that's what I use for my EDC. My input would be don't go with the big dots unless you have them on another gun and don't like them. They were on the P9 I bought and are really the only thing I don't like about the gun. I have over 500 rounds through mine with Zero Malfunctions.

·
familyman
3,103 Posts
I really like mine and it has been a reliable pleasure to shoot. I hope to get a K9 at some point. My MK9 was my second handgun...and was utterly reliable.

What an EASY gun to carry...a sliver of comfort.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I bought a Kahr P9 from Lou's a few months ago. Gave me a great price. Love that place.

With that being said, I wound up selling it about a month after purchasing. I put about 300 or so rounds through it, but had too many stovepipes and FTEs that I wasn't fully comfortable using it as an every day carry. I know it can take a few more rounds than that to fully break in, but I wasnt impressed. Having never shot a Kahr before, I also wasn't particularly thrilled with the trigger. Just my opinion...as most people I've spoken to are huge fans.

Wound up going with a Walther PPS instead. Love it.
I agree.. OP.. I think I would have held off installing sights on it until you were sure its ok. Its no secret Im a kahr(ap) hater... but then again Ive earned it... Owned 2... 2 back to the factory.... sold 2.

Hope yours works out though.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Well I made the jump, and picked up my first Kahr. A brand new, Black P9 w/Standard Sights (will be installing Tritium XS Big Dots) at Lou's Police Supply in Hialeah today. I got a great deal, and am really looking forward to heading to the range this weekend! I know that the typical break in period for Kahr's is 200-300 rounds. I've already broken it down, and given it a good cleaning and lube. Is there anything else I should do in preparation for my trip to the range, or anything I should look out for during, or make sure I do while in the intitial break in period? Thanks in advance for any pointers! I'll post some pics tomorrow.

There is some great prep tips here...

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521

·
Registered
77 Posts
Order a front night sight from the Khar web site (they are reasonably priced), that's really all you need.

My Khar CW9 needed about 100 - 200 rounds to break it in (had to get used to the trigger and all), after that has been accurate and reliable.

Most importantly - remember Khars like to be run "wet". They are made to match grade specs. - very tight fitting parts.

I lucked out a couple of years ago and purchased a NIB K40 Covert with the black diamond finish (they have been out of production for some time now). I love that gun, extremely accurate and reliable.

If you ever step up to one of the Khars in .40, make sure you go with an all-metal one (no polymer) to get the best results. However, their polymer 9mm's are great, extremely light and easy to conceal - great carry guns.

Just remember, don't give up on it until you get those first 200 rounds through it - then I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also have a P9 and its been totally reliable out of the box. Never one issue.
I have big dots on it and I like them, as my P9 is strictly for SD. I would not want big dots for a target gun, but for a CCW weapon they are great.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Congrats/good luck.

I would probably rack the slide about 1,000+ times in my spare time before taking it out to help break in the recoil spring. If it has trouble after doing that and shooting a couple hundred rounds, you know it is fully "broken in" by their standards and that there is a real problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I just got back from putting my 1st 300 rounds down range with 0 failures! It took me a couple mags to find my groove, get used to the sights, and adjust to the recoil difference (used to G19). My 1st impression, and I am confident it will stay the same is that is a GREAT weapon! Now that I've broken it in, I'm just going to clean/lube it, load up w/Critical Defense, and then as soon as my new holster (Comp Tac MTAC w/extra body to accomodate my G19 too) arrives this will be making it's way in to my regular carry rotation. I think my Glock may even get a little jealous for a while. Now I just need to see if I can find a thumb loader, so that my thumb won't feel like I put it though a meat grinder.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well I just got back from putting my 1st 300 rounds down range with 0 failures! It took me a couple mags to find my groove, get used to the sights, and adjust to the recoil difference (used to G19). My 1st impression, and I am confident it will stay the same is that is a GREAT weapon! Now that I've broken it in, I'm just going to clean/lube it, load up w/Critical Defense, and then as soon as my new holster (Comp Tac MTAC w/extra body to accomodate my G19 too) arrives this will be making it's way in to my regular carry rotation. I think my Glock may even get a little jealous for a while. Now I just need to see if I can find a thumb loader, so that my thumb won't feel like I put it though a meat grinder.
I also stopped carrying a G19 once I got a P9. You'll never go back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts