Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"You don't get what you don't ask for."
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here aware of the lawsuit and any details other than what the article here mentions?

I just bought 2 Sigs and I'm having malfunctions with the P239 - failure to eject, just like the lawsuit is claiming is a problem with theirs. Sig tried fixing it but to no avail so NJ State Police has returned them all and switched to GLOCK!

That G19 is looking better to me all the time. ;)

(Rats, I can't get the link to work on an iPad. It's easy to find by a quick internet search. I'll re-post when I'm at a real computer.)

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Reactions: Ninjamamaseeta

·
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
29,109 Posts
I heard a local PD had trouble with the S&W M&P series and went back to Glock. Not sure what the problem was though.

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it sucks for sure. Not a bad thing for Glock either.

The interesting thing is that it seems Sig hasn't been able to figure out what's wrong. They're thinking it's the barrel itself but I wonder if it's actually the slide.

I was texting a local FFL Dealer and he said he was out shooting one day and had problems, but took it apart and oiled the slide some more and had no problems. He mentioned how Sig is known for tight tolerances and recommended I try a mixture of 70% rem oil and 30% STP motor oil or the Lucas oil brand that comes with it. After he had problems and oiled his slide, he had no more problems so I'm going to try that next. We'll see.

Mine are still in the break in cycle so I won't really know until later if it's a problem with mine or not.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
My 229 has been flawless. Then again, I only have about 300 rds through it. Think I'll hold on to my HK P30 a little while longer.

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shot about 400 rounds between 2 handguns: a Sig P226 Legion SAO and a Sig P229 Legion SA/DA. I had somewhere ~ 15 failures to eject with the Sig P229. Still breaking it in and trying to figure out if it's just a break-in issue or not.

I'm really glad to hear others aren't having any problems. It's probably one of those things like cars. You can get a batch of lemons, or a single lemon, or you can get lucky and just happen to have one that's problem free. I'm usually lucky but maybe not this time.

Time will tell...

·
Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner
14,544 Posts
probably wishing they had their G22 back

·
SAFETY PIN CRITIC!!
11,774 Posts
I had one of the old P220s bought.way back when...I could write my name at 25 yards...and that was 45ACP range fodder. Sig just got the Army contract for the new modular models...WTH??
The Legion SUCKED monkey butt in the Military Arms channel Gauntlet test...water, sand, dirt, mud...think the Army might get into some sand, mud and crap??
Are the chamber tolerances THAT tight?

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had one of the old P220s bought.way back when...I could write my name at 25 yards...and that was 45ACP range fodder. Sig just got the Army contract for the new modular models...WTH??
The Legion SUCKED monkey butt in the Military Arms channel Gauntlet test...water, sand, dirt, mud...think the Army might get into some sand, mud and crap??
Are the chamber tolerances THAT tight?

Wow, write your name at 25 YARDS? I've never seen someone that precise. Can you share some tips on how you became such a great shooter? How fast do you shoot? I'm still working on my 15-21 ft range and a 4" spread on a majority of my shots. I was watching a few people at the range this weekend, they're still working on a 20" spread at that range.

·
SAFETY PIN CRITIC!!
11,774 Posts
Wow, write your name at 25 YARDS? I've never seen someone that precise. Can you share some tips on how you became such a great shooter? How fast do you shoot? I'm still working on my 15-21 ft range and a 4" spread on a majority of my shots. I was watching a few people at the range this weekend, they're still working on a 20" spread at that range.
Well...not my whole name...my initials...the gun was just that accurate. I was shooting at a B27 and suddenly remembered the scene from "Lethal Weapon"...Mel Gibson and the Baretta...I thought...no way...I'm gonna try this...

It wasn't like I wrote the 2A in cursive. It was on the majority of the target space.

I was trying...back then, at 25 years old I could see A LOT better than I can now.

I've never shot a more accurate 45 in my life...Smith 645 was a tragedy...it WASN'T the gun...1911...I can hit COM at 21 feet...pretty much the same with a G21 or 20.

I'm not a speed shooter by any stretch of ones imagination. I can empty a G20 with 16 rounds of WIN STHP to COM in less than 50 seconds now.

I grew up shooting full power old school heavy steel frame magnum revolvers. 357 and 44. I've walked around on crutches all my life, good upper body and strength helps.

If you can shoot a 4 inch 629 with Hornady XTP 180s in it, a service pistol caliber at defense range isn't hard...it's just shot placement.

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My eye sight isn't what it used to be either.

Now I'm gonna have to go back and watch Lethal Weapon to see which scene you're talking about. ;)

I'll just have to keep at it. I'm trying to break a nasty habit of pushing - as in, pushing the gun toward the target to make the bullet go faster. I feel like a complete idiot when I do that. I laugh at myself though, and tell people about it every chance I get to embarrass myself into stopping but it's the funniest thing to encounter a malfunction and watch myself push as if it's going to cause the gun to fire finally. Duh. It's good for a laugh though. Going to need to dry fire more. It really does help. Went to the range Saturday and could tell a BIG difference in my trigger discipline. It's a relief to feel like I'm improving. I had plateaued for a few weeks until I started dry firing practice at home after asking a guy at a range how he got so precise. He told me he started only 7 years ago and couldn't hit anything he aimed at. Dry fired like crazy and he has about a 90% hit rate, maybe higher, plate shooting at a local sportsmans club. He's really fun to watch.

·
SAFETY PIN CRITIC!!
11,774 Posts
Yeah.
My eye sight isn't what it used to be either.

Now I'm gonna have to go back and watch Lethal Weapon to see which scene you're talking about. ;)

I'll just have to keep at it. I'm trying to break a nasty habit of pushing - as in, pushing the gun toward the target to make the bullet go faster. I feel like a complete idiot when I do that. I laugh at myself though, and tell people about it every chance I get to embarrass myself into stopping but it's the funniest thing to encounter a malfunction and watch myself push as if it's going to cause the gun to fire finally. Duh. It's good for a laugh though. Going to need to dry fire more. It really does help. Went to the range Saturday and could tell a BIG difference in my trigger discipline. It's a relief to feel like I'm improving. I had plateaued for a few weeks until I started dry firing practice at home after asking a guy at a range how he got so precise. He told me he started only 7 years ago and couldn't hit anything he aimed at. Dry fired like crazy and he has about a 90% hit rate, maybe higher, plate shooting at a local sportsmans club. He's really fun to watch.
Yeah...Mel puts a different design on the B27s. Ones a cross and ones a smiley or something. I've never had the push problem because of the way I stood up...it's weird. I've had to learn AROUND and in SPITE of the disability...I'm GONNA FLINCH..you can't stop that with CP....so I practiced...a lot. I love shooting...face your fear. Improvise, adapt...overcome.

·
Registered
31,888 Posts
Not try, carried them for a number of years.
Yes. There is a NJ trooper on this forum. He has spoken about their duty guns before. They have gone through a few over the years.

Contrast with the CHP that just gets newer versions of their 4006 pistols every 15 years or so.

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I remember a smiley now that you mention it!

Wish I could go practice tomorrow. I love shooting too. Right now, there's not much else I'd rather be doing. A close 2nd, is hanging out with shooters who know more than me which is most people I've met so far at the sportsman clubs. I love picking people's brains and finding out useful tidbits of things I can try. If you have any suggestions, please PM me with your ideas. I need a few drills to add to my range time. I made up my own during my recent visit with splatter targets. Very cool. Now I have to prepare a few drills before I go. I need to get my P229 back to the range and put about 300-500 rounds through it with a cleaning session during my visit so I can debug this thing. It's really nagging at me that the P229 is giving me problems during this break-in cycle.

But tomorrow, instead of shooting, I'm heading to a convention for work. Yawn.

:)

·
SAFETY PIN CRITIC!!
11,774 Posts
One of my favorite all time shooting sportsmen is Gentleman Jerry Miculek...now that man...can shoot. Understatement...I know. A good book if you're interested is "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" by Ed McGivern, who was Jerry's inspiration. Revolvers and semi autos shoot differently but the fundementals are the same. It's kind of like martial arts...NEVER loose the basics, and always BUILD with them in sight.

Breathing, trigger control, sight alignment.

Jerry once said..."I'll give you the basics, and there are more secrets, but I'll let you shoot a few 100,000 rounds to find that out!" :rofl:

I was all like "Jerry doesn't know that I'm not rich, and I'm getting old does he??!"

Something as "simple" as breathing TOTALLY changes everything...because everything moves when you breathe.

Plus, I get AMPED UP, excited....and THAT can screw you up.

I'm a defensive shooter, so 21 feet in the size of a saucer is what I want out of most firearms.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts