New Jersey Bill Banning All Rifle Ammo

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HerrGlock, Feb 12, 2013.

1. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/A1000/588_I1.HTM

(1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet, or (2) any person, other than a collector of firearms or ammunition as curios or relics as defined in Title 18, United States Code, section 921 (a) (13) and has in his possession a valid Collector of Curios and Relics License issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, who knowingly has in his possession any body armor breaching or penetrating ammunition, which means: (a) ammunition primarily designed for use in a handgun, and (b) which is comprised of a bullet whose core or jacket, if the jacket is thicker than .025 of an inch, is made of tungsten carbide, or hard bronze, or other material which is harder than a rating of 72 or greater on the Rockwell B. Hardness Scale, and (c) is therefore capable of breaching or penetrating body armor, or (3) any person, other than a law enforcement officer, who knowingly has in his possession handgun ammunition which (a) has a full metal jacket and an ogive with a steel penetrator tip followed by an aluminum core and is therefore capable of breaching or penetrating body armor, or (b) after testing, the Attorney General determines poses a threat to the safety and well being of law enforcement officers because of the materials, be they metallic or nonmetallic, used in its composition or because its ogive, core or jacket are of a design, construction or formulation which makes it capable of breaching or penetrating body armor,

Let's see, you could still keep .30 carbine, most handgun rounds (depending on what level vest they use for test), and shotguns.

2. DevilDocsGlocks

DevilDocsGlocks

I don't think they mean regular copper coated fmj rounds...just the steel core stuff ( which my friend banned on his ranges because I was punching holes in his metal targets..LOL)

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

o boy.

Gov Cuomo (NY) is gonna be PISSED at being upstaged by those folks in NJ...

4. Restless28

Restless28

The Blue Storm rolls on. NJ, California, Illinois, NY all have 2 things in common. They all have a tyrannical government teetering on the edge of economic collapse and they are enemies of the Second Amendment.

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

What they "mean" is, and always has been, irrelevant.

Look at the wording of the law. Now imagine an anti-gun person as an AG whose job it is to uphold the law.

What does the law say? Gee, through testing if it penetrates a vest it's illegal.

Here, bring me that .308 Winchester deer gun and the Class II vest commonly worn by cops...

What do you think it going to happen?

6. Neero

Neero Sleep-deprived

Oh, they mean FMJ and everything else. They are just too ignorant at present to properly state such desires in their ever-political wordiness speak.

And there's really no use explaining how focusing on just the steel core, evil armor piercing bullets of mass destruction, is well, in violation of the very point in spirit of the 2A.

7. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Don't forget Maryland. You know. . . . "The Free State." :rofl:

(IF S.B.281 is passed, even possession of ammunition [with certain characteristics!] by those under 21 will then be a criminal!)

8. 4949shooter

4949shooter

They specify in the statement:

"The SS190AP ammunition for the Five-seveN Tactical handgun is uniquely designed."

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Again, irrelevant. The law (not the comments or notes) would state:

AG decides to really get into it and "tests" all common rifle rounds and finds they all penetrate Class II vests, as anyone who knows anything about firearms knows they will. Poof, no more rifle rounds legal in NJ.

Should the AG then decide to get really silly and test against Class I vests, you would be left with rimfires and possibly .25ACP.

Go ahead, tell me a NJ AG wouldn't do that. Keep a straight face while you're telling me that, too.

10. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

If you are still in those freedom loving states you are getting what you asked for. Suck it up! Or do something about it.

11. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Reading is fundamental, chicken littles.

That applies to handgun ammunition. Explicitly states it there.

12. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

WAIT! NJ has a strong Republican Leader.....surely this can't happen on his watch!.....:whistling:

13. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

:animlol: Yeah. and it's going to stay that way, too.

Nah, don't sweat it. Sit back and have your laugh.

14. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

It ain't hard to laugh at the people who brought us Jersey Shore. :rofl:

15. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Relax there, big guy. I was trying to help, not hinder.

I can tell you from personal experience that it will depend on the opinion of the particular administration in office. For example, for a while 30 round magazines were legal if they were temporarily blocked with wood, or other material inside them so they would only hold 15 rounds or less. A new administration came in a few years later and opined the temporary blocks would not suffice, and the mags had to be blocked permanently.

I don't like the law any more than you do, but we are all adults here so lets act like it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  16. Dragline

Dragline

Hey come on now, you don't want MA to feel left out do ya?

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It appears to only ban "handgun ammunition" under either section (2) or (3). I think that's already illegal under federal law and most states' law, so I'm not sure this would do much.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  18. Zombie Surgeon

Zombie Surgeon MODELATOR

They are emboldened by the Obama win last November and now believe it is the moment to take total control of this country and its citizens.

19. racerford

racerford

I think you are being optimistic. It may ban almost ALL ammo. Whose to say that they won't use Level I as the standard for "body armor". It is not in Caps so it is not a defined term. Unless elsewhere in the law "body armor". If it was, I think it would be capitalized.

Never under-estimate the ignorance of politicians, or their deceitfulness. Either way, their incompetence meets their needs.

20. Nutt51

Nutt51

Just another example of why the left will never stop.
    Strictest gun laws in the Nation, Kalifornia, Chicago, New York,
    New Jersey, and Washington D.C., but some of the highest
    murder rates.
    Kalifornia has some strict laws, 10 rd. mags etc., New York
    goes to 7. Now Kali wants to ban some guns and restrict ammo,
    Jersey jumps in with their stupid laws. It will never be enough
    for these idiot's.
    I am a practical, reasonable person, who would be willing to
    discuss anything, but not any more over guns and gun control.
    I would not give one inch, or one round.
    These idiot's have shown their hand, and they will not stop.
    As Michael Corleone said in GFII, "My Answer Is This Senator,
    Nothing".