close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New iPad preorder!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by heliguy, Mar 7, 2012.

1. heliguy

heliguy

Just preordered the new ipad 64 GB wifi with Apple care. So it's a little pricey. But my DSLR setup is $4k, pix software processing $2500, so it'll be a great mix with my photography hobby!

Here's the link if you want to jump on the bandwagon!

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad

2. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I also have an iPad (3rd gen) on order. Very much looking forward to it. Better resolution and faster wireless will move it from very good to awesome for my needs.

3. Heckler&Koch

Heckler&Koch

I bought it 2 hours ago and still no confirmation email.

4. LockHavenYellow

LockHavenYellow Flyin' Low

Got mine earlier today after a lot of BS with their servers. You'd figure that they would be prepared with the server overload, but oh well. Got the 32GB 4G from AT&T. Really looking forward to getting it; it'll be a huge upgrade from my iPad 1.

5. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

I pre-ordered mine around 5:30 pm EST and got my confirmation email about a half an hour later. Can't wait.

DW

6. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

My Gen 1 64 gig with 3g internet just keeps rolling along. Enjoy the new ones.

7. jhall

jhall

I am underwhelmed. My iPad 2 already has an amazing display. Not sure I would even notice the difference between the two. (This opinion might change once I see one in person)

We don't have 4G here, so no need for that.

Yes, my iPad camera sucks, but guess how many times I have used it? Twice maybe?

I know, these are all problems unique to my situation, but still. I was hoping for a more substantial update.

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

Kind of like the 4s. If you have an iPad 1 this is a great upgrade, if you have the 2 it's not really worth it. I'll keep my 2 and see what the 4 offers.

9. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

Well, each individual pixel you see on your iPad 2 will be made up of 4 pixels on the New iPad. You would definitely notice a difference (or maybe I should say, you wouldn't notice the pixels).

Everything will be razor sharp.

10. Deanster

Would you like them to have included a TARDIS and a puppy?

iPad 2 was a kickass tablet, they upgraded the screen to 4x the pixels, 4G, gave it 4x the graphics performance of a Tegra3 pad (and 2x the iPad 2), faster processor, more RAM, while maintaining the form factor, battery life and price?

I shudder to think what you'd call a 'substantial' upgrade!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  11. cphilip

cphilip

I'm going to be following you guys reactions and experiences with great interest. But since I just got a iPad2 for Christmas, and since its sort of a supplement to my Macbook Pro and iPhone is really is enough. Even if I decided to Phone connect an iPad it I would likely be through a iPhone tether rather than to buy another dedicated service and iPad just for that... and at this point 3G would do the job since 4g is still a while away on a regular basis. So for me all I can see is the 2X better screen resolution and the better camera which I simply can't see as enough for me to spend the money on. Its always a great thing though when this sort of improvement occurs so I know its going to be real nice. Its just not enough for me to consider investing for my typical use is all.

I am tempted though to pick up a couple of the iPad 2's for gifts while they still make them and they are now $100 discounted and I think they also would serve well for some members of my family for a few years. I can see me buying a couple more iPad 2 16 gigs in the near future. But... I'll be watching the new one with interest.

12. jhall

jhall

Sorry dude. Wasn't trying to start anything. Just my opinion. It just seems like a 4s type upgrade. I upgraded to the 4s, but looking back, I wish I had skipped it and waited for the 5. If you're a power user and will benefit from the new features, awesome. But they aren't enticing to me.

13. LockHavenYellow

LockHavenYellow Flyin' Low

If I had owned a 2 prior to this, I wouldn't have upgraded. I am not upgrading iPhones until the 5 comes out...I currently have the 4.

14. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Ordered mine too.

This isn't the first time their servers got caught with their pants down. I bought an iPhone the first day they were available. People online were howling for three days, that they couldn't get the activation to complete. The Apple servers were swamped. The thing is, if you clicked the Activate button and waited, it took five or ten minutes to time out, before you received an error message. I discovered that if the phone didn't activate in the first thirty seconds, go back a page and click Activate again. I got my iPhone activated in less than thirty minutes, on the first day.:supergrin: Eric

15. Kloogee

Kloogee

I have an original iPad and I'm seriously considering upgrading to the new one. My 1st gen is just so slow sometimes. It seems like it can take forever to render pages sometimes and to do certain things. I just recently got a new iPhone 4s for a corporate phone and I can tell a huge difference in the speed of it vs my old iPad.

Fort hose of you with an iPad 2, I'm not sure the speed difference itself is going to be enough of a difference for upgrading if you don't get a woody over the screen size and the 4G. But for me with the 1st gen, there are lots of worthy upgrades to look for. The new screen resolution, the extra speed, the 4G vs the 3G, the fact that it has cameras vs no cam on mine, etc, etc....

I'm seriously considering, but it's definitely a bunch of dough!

16. Deanster

Fair enough. If you don't live in a 4G area, and don't care about the screen (though I imagine that a chance to look at the new screen might change your mind), then it's just a spec-bump.

But... the reviews from folks who got a hands-on today are saying things like 'it's the best screen I've ever seen. Ever. On any device.'

IMHO, this is the year when the iPad gets 'real'... with the iPad 3rd gen at $500, and the iPad 2 at $400, I imagine they'll sell enough to make current sales look like a good start. And Apple is already selling more iPads than any other manufacturer is selling PC's.

This slide shows Q4 2011 #'s...

[​IMG]

17. BonoVox

BonoVox CLM

Mine too.:cool:

18. Rodman24

Rodman24

Ordered mine today. This is the first iPad that I've actually felt compelled to buy. I look forward to getting it in hand.

19. Kuroineko

Kuroineko

I just purchased an Ipad 2 last Friday at best buy. That will be going back soon as I just pre ordered my Ipad (3) 64GB. I'm looking forward to receiving it at home thanks to free shipping.

20. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

iPad2 owner here. I guess that I'll really need to wait and see just how good of a screen update it is to see if its a compelling reason. For the moment though, the real iPad3 will possibly be the next upgrade.

Just for my education, the differences between the 2 and the 2x are:

2x the screen resolution
    better forward and rear cameras
    faster processor to handle the pixel density
    4G

Anything else?