close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New iPad - impossible at any price 2 years ago.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Deanster, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

I read an article that mentioned that the new iPad would have been an impossible-to-make product at any price two years ago, mostly because of the high-resolution screen, and the minor miracle that Apple is selling this bleeding-edge tech for $500.

So, I was just trying to think about what a screen of that resolution 'means'.

My beloved 27" iMac has a truly beautiful screen, with enough pixel density that MS Word really needs to be set at 150% zoom to keep everything from being too teeny.

The iMac is a very wide rectangular screen, and runs at 2560x1440 pixels, for 109 pixels per inch - a fairly high-resolution screen. Dell sells a 27"monitor with this same panel for $800 - just for the monitor.

If you squared it off from the 16:9 ratio, and made it 4:3 by shaving a couple inches off the short edge, it'd have about the same number of pixels as the iPad 3rd Gen.

But the iPad packs that into a 9.7" screen, and 264 pixels per inch. I wonder what the next-largest device with 2000x1500 resolution is? and how much it costs?

Whatever you think of Apple, or the iPad, it's pretty amazing to build a screen like that into an iPad selling for $500.

2. Resqu2

Resqu2

The first thing said at the keynote was that the IPad couldn't be shown on the equipment that they had like you would see in person, their equipment just wasn't as good as what the IPad screen is.

I really hope I can get this one soon, I skipped the IPad 2 waiting on this one.

3. raven11

raven11

they save a lot of money building it in China

4. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

Man, I would've loved to have the 27" screen like you have.... it is beautiful, but the wife said it was huge. Settled on the 21.5" one instead. I agree with the technology. Hell, look at the iPhones :cool: