close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Hunter, Need Advice, in upstate NY

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by glockin'griff, Nov 18, 2002.

1. glockin'griff

glockin'griff

I live in upstate NY, I have a house in Old Forge, NY which is about a hour north of Utica. Anyway, I have been taking up hunting and trying my hardest with no success. So I called up a guide, and $250 dollars later, no deer, nothing. I would really prefer to use a rifle, so hunting on the southern tier is out. I really want to get a buck....BAD.

Anyone have any advice for having better success. I will keep checking this thread. I tried that "doe in heat piss", does that stuff work?

Thanks in advance.

PS, I could easily take a bear, they are all over my property, but I have no desire to. I cant eat the meat because the bears mostly eat garbage. Is field dressing a bear difficult?

2. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

How long have you been hunting?

It doesn't come over-night you know.

Most deer are taken with luck, those that take deer regularly use both skill & luck.

3. Drachen27

Drachen27

You don't say much about your hunting to know what would help but ...

Hunting's different on private land vs pulic vs land you own etc. etc. I think it's a better idea to try to hunt one tract of land as much as you can. So if that means a shotgun instead of a rifle so be it (I'm not sure what the big difference is, except distance you can take a shot You could also use a handgun or a muzzleloader if you just hate shotguns). Time spent traveling to/from a distant hunting site could be better spent with more time "in stand" on a closer piece of property.

You have to know the land you're hunting and the habits of the deer on that land. Try to identify where the deer eat, where they bed down, and how they travel back and forth between those areas. Then wait, wait and wait some more. Your patience will pay off. Studying the land outside of hunting seasons will be a big help too.

Don't believe you can "buy" a deer. Nothing in any of the stores or catalogs will definitely get you a deer. You need to be in a good spot, doing nothing to let them know you are there, and have a weapon that you can hit where you aim with, and know where/when to shoot. Hunting can take alot of your time (and doesn't have to take a whole lot of money).

You really have to learn to enjoy the hunting and not just the taking of the animal. If you're not going to be happy until you get a deer, you're missing a big part of the fun of hunting.

Bears are a little more difficult to field dress and butcher but are certainly doable. Depending on what kind of "garbage" they are eating, I think they are still quite edible, though I don't care for the taste. Getting a bear, even if you give it away, would still seem like alot of fun to me.

4. smeet5150

smeet5150 Southern Son

5. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

You got to scout out the deer in the preseason. Know where they are and what their habits are.

Hunting private land? Plant some apple trees, it helps!

6. glockin'griff

glockin'griff

Drachen, that was some of the best advice I've gotten thus far. I really think its that I am not patient enough. Most have told me that I must put in the time to understand the experience and be successful. Maybe you guys can explain a little more about what you love about hunting. I just love being out and learning more about the behavior of nature.

The land I have is private land surrounded by square miles of very RUGGED terrain. I know there are doe on my property but I have yet to find a scrape or rub. I think I need to learn more about their diet.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help. I am going out friday morning and then monday, tuesday and wednesday morning.

7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Glockin'griff, hey I'm no expert but if you want me to come up to your land and teach you everything I know, I could do that. That should take 5 minutes, then we can both go out and not see bucks :)

You've just got to learn to enjoy sitting out in the woods, whether or not you get a buck.

Here's my recent hunting story:
    I spent early Monday morning snowblowing the driveway so the wife could get out and go to work. We had 6 inches.

But I did see 7 doe total on Monday. The best of the sightings was when 3 walked one at a time broadside in front of me 20 yards away, not aware I was there (but I got an occasional suspicous look).

On Tuesday I was out all day but only saw 2 doe. But it was great sighting. I had been sitting under my tree stand (it was snow and ice covered, tried to clean it off but too much ice). After 2 hours was cold enough to move around, just stood up and took a last look, then saw the 2 deer from a distance. I stood still and one walked in on me, other one hanging back, figured the one hangin back might be a buck, so I cocked the revolver and was ready, but she was just a doe and she eventually came in too. So, I'm standing there, not moving, with a cocked revolver while the doe are feeding only 10 yards away! Cripe, just leave already because I'm getting tired of holding still and don't know how much longer I can keep it up. They move a bit and I figure they left. So I slowly un-cock the revolver and sit back down and wait for a buck to follow. Then I look and the doe are still there! They never left and didn't see me sit down. They are still eating. One pees, and I could hear it hit the snow. The other one stops for a second and shakes her fur like a dog does, spreading her legs for stability. I almost laughed out loud. Finally they left, and I sat there the rest of the day till dark but no buck came by.

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Oh, as for the bucks. Gun season in the Southern zone started Monday, haven't seen one since. No shots around either, so evidently nobody else has gotten one.

But before Monday. Saw two bucks across the road from my house, fighting--on two different occassions.

Was out grouse hunting with the shotgun and sat down for a bit. A buck walked within 20 yards of me.

Was bowhunting on last day before gun season. Snow on the ground, so it was quiet. I was under a pine tree, sat there for about an hour. Look over my left shoulder, and crap! A buck was walking right in on me, already too close for me to make a move. I wait till he passes and then slowly spin around to my right to get a shot as passed. All movements were in slow motion as I tried to stay invisible. There were some limbs on my right that I had to side step. He turned and looked, and then we started playing chess. With each move I made, he countered with more suspicion and kept moving back away from, then out of range. If only I had seen him before he got in too close to me in the first place. So, I measured the distance between his closest tracks and my seat, it was exactly 5 yards.

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Now, about my technique. I've used scent in the past, and I've used a grunt called. The call sometimes works for bringing back a buck that got gently spooked. The scent didn't seem to make a difference.

Keep your body clean. Wash your feet. Don't use perfumy soaps and stuff if you can help it. But mainly, the wind/breeze is the deciding factor. Always keep the wind in your face.

I mainly still hunt. That means dressing warm enough to sit for 2 hours comfortable, and all day with some shivering and pain. No movement. They can see you, but you maybe can't see them. So no movements. Do not get up. Do not scratch your head. Only shift your weight slowly when a body part threatens to fall asleep. Move your head on a swivel slowly. Try to just move the eyes. Whether you are on the ground or in a tree, try to "be the tree." Have a goal of sitting for 2 to 4 hours without getting up. Maybe you can only do 1 hour to start. That's fine. But try 2 hours.

Pick a spot that deer are likely to come by at that time of day. Depends on their preference for food and cover. Look for signs like tracks and scat. Rubs and scraps are nice. Put yourself in a good position for visibility, but don't be too exposed to them. Mainly, the wind will tell where you can sit, and where to look.

Your main advantage is your eyes. Your hearing is nice to have, but it isn't as reliable. Deer can be darn quiet even when you think they should be making noise. They can travel like ghosts in the woods that only your eyes can pick up.

When a deer comes in on you, you have keep your breathing under control. Don't start pumping out a lot of scent by getting too excited. And, most importantly, do no move. Do not blink. Do not swallow. They may look at you and challenge you. They may stamp their feet. Maybe even scream ("blow"). Don't move. They can't see you, even if you are wearing orange. But if you twitch, it is all over. Expect that as soon as they get around to your downwind side, they will smell you and leave. If you never moved and fooled them good, even when they smell you they won't spook. They may assume you are farther away, and will just leave.

If you are going to take a shot, then you got to make your slow movements to get into firing position when they aren't looking. This is a real skill that is hard to teach or explain. You can't get into position too soon, because you can't hold that position forever without getting tired. You can't get into position too late, because the best opportunity might have passed. Most of your moves will be made when their head is passing behind a tree. Everything must be quiet and slow. If there are multiple deer, you have to watch them all because they will alert each other.

10. Kilgor

Kilgor American Millennium Member

;W Good explanations ithaca_deerslayer!

glockin'griff,

You'd do well to get ithaca up there to show you somethings hands on. Just don't fall prey to his incorrect political views. ;f

11. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

Getting a buck is a bit difficult but this is the year to do it. The people I hunt with have gotten a rough total of 10 bucks this year. The bucks ranged from buttons to an 8 pointer. Unfotunately I only had one shot at a six pointer. My gun jammed and was not able to get a second shot off.

The southern zone may actually be your best bet. I hunted up in Forestport and the Utica area and it seems the deer hunting is better in Utica.

If you want to hook up and do some drives, email me. Hunting with 2 or more people can help you get that buck. I'll give you a hint about bucks, they are where you think they are not.

Oh, the deer are in full rut now so seeing a buck may be easier. My friend just got an 8-pointer that was distracted while mounting a doe. He shot the buck right off of the doe's back.

12. NYGunman

NYGunman o.oO0Oo.oO0Oo.o

If you do not want to use a shotgun in the southern zone you can use your pistol. I have a .44 and brought it out a couple of time but never got anything with it. My eyes are geting bad so I need to put some optics on it.

13. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

hey, that sounds vaugley familiar......;f