close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New health care provider; first experience.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by skorper, Feb 4, 2010.

1. skorper

skorper harborrat

So we took a hit on our medical benefits at work and with this new plan our preferred provider is an assembly line operation. They get the most people seen in the least amount of time. You see a Physicians' Assistant who assesses you and then a Physician comes in and maybe spends a minute with you to write a script or something.

I made an appointment as I had a suspicious mole just above my ankle. Seems to me like it has got darker since I noticed it. I went in for my appointment and got in after a long wait and met with the Physicians' Assistant. He looked at it and then I waited for the Dermatologist to look at it and they agreed it was suspicious enough to cut it off.

To my surprise, the Physicians' Assistant did the surgery. I was wary at first but they assured me that this is standard procedure. He cut a wide swath but he seemed to do OK. I got bandaged up and went home, waiting for the test results on the mole.

Got a call now at home. The mole is atypical. Not cancerous but precancerous. Not only that, but I have to go back because they didn't cut deep enough and didn't excise the entire perimeter. This time I suppose they will cut deeper.

2. fitz4609

fitz4609

You should not be surprised at all. Pa schools are hard to get into and the board exam is no piece of cake.
    But there is no substitute for skills and a proper knowledge of what you can handle and what you cannot. I removed a malignant melanoma from a WO-5 Army helicopter pilot.
    Wide excision and proper depth, put in a deep absorbable suture and closed the wound with simple sutures. I ran across the pilots email address 5 years after the surgery and was healthy with no signs of cancer. I was very happy and so was he. I don't know where you live but you can find a state college PA school and check out the cirriculum.
    Hope everything turns out well.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I prefer my PA to my Doctor. She listens better, asks smarter more perceptive questions and still seems to give a damn. Plus, at my age, it is important that she has smaller hands.

4. skorper

skorper harborrat

Well, my particular PA is personable and seems quite capable. I guess I should be confident that I'm in good hands.

My former GP retired a year ago anyway. This is my first trip to this clinic, under this new plan.

5. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

My primary care health clinician is a PA...and a pretty decent looking single one at that. Always have to have a backup plan. Anyway, she does seem to take more time than the average dr (although I have a disorder which is her first of that kind, so I'm kind of a case study for her I suppose). She's perfectly capable though. And no...if I need to get more private areas checked out, I'll ask for a male dr.

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

:rofl:

7. plainsman

plainsman

It just amazing that people will put up with substandard medical treatment of pathetic medical care,simply because it's free, or cheap. If I were faced with some minor condition that I wanted professional care on, Id say screw the nurse practicioner, and just go to a dermatologist or some professional on my own. I don't give a damn if my company would cover it, Id figure having a possibly cancerous condition, or medical condition quickly and professionally diagnosed and treated is worth more then a early grave, and money in the departed's bank account.

Companies and providers seek the cheapest way of providing the minimum of coverage, wait til you see Obama care putting 30 million free loaders at medical facilities, you haven't seen the beginning of substandard care.....

8. skorper

skorper harborrat

Thanks.

I have no doubt about the training and ability of my PA.

It's just a tidal shift in medical care when you "go to the doctor" and end up not being treated by an MD. He is only there as an overseer of some sort.

9. skorittnig

skorittnig

I prefer my Nurse Practitioner to all of the above- but that is another argument... I mean thread.