close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Harleys Today

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by WellArmedSheep, Jul 14, 2006.

1. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

The 2007 Harley-Davidsons should be announced today. I hear that there will be a larger-displacement engine in the Dyna, Softail, and Touring lines, and there will be four new models announced: two in the VRSC (V-Rod) family, one in Sportster and Softail familes. Should be interesting.

I also hear rumors about a 6 speed in the tourning lineup, but that's purely skepticism.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Jesus H. Christ, how much larger of an engine do you need? Any larger than that you might as well get a car.

Just tune the current ones for more power and call it a day.

I'd be interested to see what the new offerings for the V-Rod series.

3. WellArmedSheep

I'd like to see a bagger/sport tourer.

4. WellArmedSheep

Welp, they're out. No bagger V-Rod. But 96 cubes and 6 speeds for all the big twins. All for only about $500 more on MSRP. If I'd have bought an 06 I'd be pissed off right now. But I am glad I unloaded my 03 not too long ago, as I can see the resale dropping for the TC88 H-D's.

5. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49

Hmmmm.....and just when I was getting serious about a 95" kit on my '03. Can't sell my '01 to get an 07...my wife will pitch a fit and I still love my Ironhead...what is a guy to do??!!

Maybe a Goldwing instead!!

6. WellArmedSheep

mmm...a '75 (or '76 or '77) GL1000 would be cool. Other than that, I don't know.

7. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Unless you just have to have the latest and greatest, I'd wait to see what kind of problems the new engine/emissions/etc are going to have.

My 05 FLTRI has it's own share of known issues, but I intentionally pulled the trigger in 05 because I knew the emissions/exhaust issues were coming down the pipe.

No 02 sensors or cats on the 05 baggers.

I admit I do feel some lust for more factory displacement and the 6 speed.

Even with the larger engine, HD still lags behind the metric big bores in displacement and power.

8. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49

Good points! Buying a new engine the first year scares me too!!

A friend of my son's got a new Yamaha big bore and it is a beast. If you can close your eyes and get over the smell of rice that is a really solid bike with more power and smooth than you can find in Harley. Victory is also catching up quick. I have an 02 Polaris 700 twin 4 wheeler that I have run the pants off. It hauls feed and hay just about every day and the only thing I have done to it other than oil is put a new water pump seal on it and warranty covered that.

I love my Harleys but there sure is a lot of other nice stuff out there. I want to do a coast to coast ride before I hit sixty years old (57 now) and the Wing seems to be the nicest I can find to ride like that.

9. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

96" is something like 1590cc. There are 1800 and 2000cc V-Twins out there in the metric world!

The problem now isn't producing more power out of the current Twin-Cams, it's pumping that power out and making the EPA happy at the same time! It's not too difficult to almost double the power of the 88 (going to a 95" with new heads and cams puts you easily in the 100hp/100tq range, for $2-3k more). I guess it was easier (or more cost efficient) to put a larger powerplant in than making the current one more efficient.

The new V-Rod's got a 5 gallon tank, that seems to be the biggest feature so far (but I didn't look too closely at the specs on them). A V-Rod version of the touring bike would be the way to go (and will probably happen in the next few years!)

10. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

I bought an 06 and am still glad I did. Granted a 6 speed would have been nice.

If you make any modications to the '07 Harley, exhaust or whatever, it voids your warranty = teh suck.

i love my 06 night train!

Matt

11. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

Well, maybe they are putting out as much power as my lawn mower now. :supergrin:

12. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49

EPA damn sure isn't going to make it easy in the future. If you spend $15 - $20K for a bike there probably aren't many of us who can afford to throw the warranty (such as it is)out the window but then who wants to have stock pipe on their bike? It's not fair!!

13. Cryptoboy

Almost! The V-Rod motor just barely squeaks by though! :laughabove:

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Well, at least the EPA's emission requirement isn't nowhere as bad as the Euro 3 requirement. I'd be interested to see how Harley is going to meet that emission requirement in order to sell in Europe.

15. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

Probably the same as other manufacturers. More sophistaced fuel management and catalytic convertors.

Many times displacement changes are needed to improve emissions as well as performance. As I understand it, HD is not going to have any issues with even more stringent 2008 requirements.

:cool:

16. Cryptoboy

Kindof interesting, but the inital numbers are about the same as the 88" motor (as far as hp and tq. Nothing confirmed yet though). On top of that, it's going to be more difficult to get aftermarket parts, at least initially, for 07 models and newer.

I'll keep my 05 Electra Glide for as long as it lasts (which could be a long time based on some of the Harleys still on the road!) It's grandfathered in, at least for now, and avoids some of that EPA crap.

17. Lowrider 49

Lowrider 49

Good points about the grandfathering and parts availability. Maybe the new EPA standards will help keep the prices up on the pre-standard bikes.

I'm thinking about a new long range cruiser and my wife has this silly notion that I should sell a couple bikes if I get a new one. I keep telling her that if you spread the mileage over many bikes during the year, it keeps the individual mileage lower on each bike and they don't wear out so quickly, but I think the logic is wearing thin. She said we were paying too much on insurance to keep them on the road and that we couldn't afford it since I retired. I told her she needs to get a second job...that didn't work either!! It's like guns...you are supposed to buy guns, not sell them!! What's a guy to do??