close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Hard Drive - Primary Boot

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by engineer151515, Feb 6, 2005.

1. engineer151515

engineer151515

I have an older HP 1.40GHz Pavilion desktop with a 40 Gb Hard disk (C drive) and an added 80 Gb Hard disk (G drive). Other drives are D drive( HP Recovery, E drive (CD RW) and F drive (DVD RW). C drive is the primary boot disk with all the program files. G drive is a data disk and is 100% available for ... whatever.

The C drive is starting to sound a little grindy. I think she is on her last legs.

I'll probably drop by Best Buys and pick up a Western Digital 120 Gb hard drive for $50 (after rebates)

The question: What is the easiest manner to replace your primary drive without reloading everything onto a new disk?

My thoughts - can I transfer everything (diskcopy?) from the C drive to the G drive, then set up the G drive as the primary boot disk in the setup files (F2 access as windows boots). Then the replacement drive (120 Gb Western Digital drive) would become a C drive data disk.

Is this workable or is there an easier way? Wouldn't diskcopy also copy the 40 Gb format - halfing the capacity of the 80 Gb HD?

(Have you guys figured out that I'm an old MSDOS guy, yet? :))
    Thanks for the help.

:)

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

inevitable response: buy norton ghost

what i would do: use dd in linux

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

What Dave said; also I'd set up the 120GB drive with a 40GB partition and the rest of the drive in another...

That way you won't waste any space.

Personally, though, I'd just remove the old drive and install the OS onto the new one. After that is complete, you can just 'slave' the old drive in and copy over whatever you need to use on the new OS.

Have fun!

4. darin2

darin2

Actually most of the major hard drive vendors like maxtor and western digital will include software that help you fdisk and format your new drive, and then copy your old hard drive to the new one. In that way your making a copy of the entire logical drive onto your new one, with no data loss. Good luck.

Darin