new guy, maybe old questions

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by craig_o, Sep 13, 2007.

1. craig_o

craig_o CLM

redacted

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. DBradD

DBradD Guest

For nutritional advice: www.simplefit.org--look for their nutritional section. Keep in mind, of course that it's fairly difficult to lose fat without losing muscle unless you're a raw beginner. At least that's what most folks say nowadays and it's definitely true for me, but I'm about 1.7x your age.

For workouts: Do you plan to continue with the Bowflex or do you want to get into other types of workouts? Free weights, bodybuilding, general fitness like CrossTraining or RossTraining?

3. craig_o

craig_o CLM

redacted

4. DBradD

DBradD Guest

By no means are these all that are out there: www.crossfit.com and www.rosstraining.com These are overall fitness program with strength and conditioning. There are other bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc. websites out there also. I personally especially like rosstraining. He has two books. I have one of them and think it's great.

5. craig_o

craig_o CLM

redacted

6. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Skip the machines and do it all with free weights.

For most drug free people typical glossy magazine bodybuilder workouts do NOT work. Stick to compund movements like deadlifts , squats , presses, bench presses, bent rows, chins, dips etc. Lower reps and higher sets of these work better for the drug free. I like the old school 5x5 scheme. For cardio do something like HIIT.

I think a great starting book is "Dinosaur Training" by Brooks Kubick.

Realize to get big you'll need to eat an excess of calories. That will put muscle on you. Unfortunately, it will put fat on you too.
    I've always put weight on and then tried to loose bodyfat. Than put weight on, then try to loose bodyfat.

Personally, I think you should concentrate on getting strong and the size will be a by product. To me, that is more effective than training solely for hypertrophy.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress and continue to post in this forum

7. craig_o

craig_o CLM

redacted

8. DBradD

DBradD Guest

NG is the one that I have. I did CrossFit until our baby got here last February and then switched to NG because there was no hope of getting to the gym and I don't have enough equipment here for CF.

As far as I can see, the only thing lacking in NG is back strength work. Pullups and bridges do quite a bit for the back, but there's no replacing deadlifts. NG contains a 50 day sample program that I think is a fantastic template for many people with general strength and conditioning goals. Deadlifts (or cleans, overhead squats, snatches, etc.) could be inserted on the max strength day (Day 2 of the sample program). I actually did that and it was going ok, but I did too many towel and weighted pullups and gave myself a case of golfer's elbow, so had to drop DLs for the moment. The bottom line is that you might want to just buy a cheap standard barbell set at some point. My 300 lb cheapo set was $79 used at Play It Again Sports and is adequate.

Other than a pullup bar, you don't need much else for NG. If you don't have a pullup bar, there are lots of ways to approach that, ranging from throwing a fat rope or towel over a rafter or tree limb, using the bottom 2x4 chord of a truss, to making your own.

Unless you've done this kind of thing before, liberally scale down most of the conditioning workouts. Unlike CrossFit, RT doesn't give scaled workouts, which might be the only complaint I can think of. CF doesn't either, but another website (brandx martial arts) does.

9. craig_o

craig_o CLM

redacted

10. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Sell the Bowflex! Get some type of squat rack/power cage for safety on heavies and it should come with a pull-up bar. Add a weight set and some decent shoes and you are set.

Like others here, I like CrossFit.com and RT.com. Great resources. I don't follow the WOD program on CrossFit but I do use a staple of a few "girls" workouts for metcon (plus, they have great instructional and motivational videos). Couple that with a good strength program, clean diet, and some workouts from Infinite Intensity, and I have all of the variety I need to stay healthy for a long time.