Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
9x19mm = 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm NATO.

Just don’t do the 9 mm Makarov.

Ammunition is extremely expensive right now. I used to go to Outdoor limited to buy 1000 for $170. Now it’s double that price.

You didn’t pick a good time to get into guns.

Good luck trying to find a place to shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Registered
340 Posts
9x19mm = 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm NATO.

Just don’t do the 9 mm Makarov.

Ammunition is extremely expensive right now. I used to go to Outdoor limited to buy 1000 for $170. Now it’s double that price.
All true. Also if you see 9mm Kurtz or 9mm Browning or 9mm Short, it is actually .380 or 9X17 (Kurtz is German for short). That’s an easy newbie mistake to make.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Thinking about buying a Glock 26 and when doing my research I see 9mm Luger, 9mm para, 9X19 etc. Is there a difference? If so, what ammo does the Glock typically use?

I have gone shooting with friends and family but always shot their guns and their ammo and never had to think about what to buy.
I was so focused on defining the 9 mm I didn’t think of the gun pistol choice.

Have you shot the Glock 26? Some people say they shoot it better than a Glock 19. However, the bigger versions are easier to shoot: Glock 34, 19 and 17.

Whatever you do, don’t get a Glock 43 as your first. It definitely has more recoil and you can develop flinching as a novice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thinking about buying a Glock 26 and when doing my research I see 9mm Luger, 9mm para, 9X19 etc. Is there a difference? If so, what ammo does the Glock typically use?

I have gone shooting with friends and family but always shot their guns and their ammo and never had to think about what to buy.
There isn't really a typical Glock caliber. 9mm models are the most popular definitely. There is anything from slimline low capacity pocket sizes up to full competition sizes in most calibers.

The above answers cover the different types if 9mm. Stick with 9mm, 40S&W or 45ACP and you’ll be good. I prefer 40 myself but 9mm is usually best for new shooters.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
There is 9x18 mm Makarov ammunition available in brass cases, but it is not as widely available as the steel case versions.

There have been many varieties of 9 mm pistol ammunition over the years all of which have a nominal projectile caliber of .355". As has been said, 9 mm Luger, 9 mm Para, 9 mm Parabellum, and 9x19 mm are all the same. You will also encounter ammunition labelled "9 mm NATO" which is also a 9x19 mm cartridge but loaded a bit hotter than the standard pressure 9x19 mm P loads.

The most common 9 mm loads that you will encounter other than 9x19 is the 9x18 Makarov and the 380 ACP also known as 380 Auto, 9 mm Short, 9 mm Kurz, 9 mm Corto, 9 mm Browning and 9 mm Browning Court. This is a 9x17 mm cartridge. The Glock 42 is chambered in that cartridge which uses the same diameter (but lighter ) projectile.

There are also 9mm cartridges with an overall cartridge length greater than 19 mm but you are unlikely to run into them by accident.

·
NRA Life Member
6,033 Posts

like others said, say 9mm in most any gun store and they will point you to the right thing, be it called 9x19, 9mm parabellum, 9mm NATO, etc... It’s all basically the same.

for practice and plinking I’d go 115 grain FMJ ammo from various manufacturers.

id recommend finding an expert, a mentor to help you out, whether it’s a buddy or training you have to pay for.

be careful and best of luck

·
Millenium #3936
6,654 Posts
I have owned several glocks over the years and they I am fed them a steady diet of brass cased stuff.

Federal 9bp also know as Federal classic hollow point
Speer gold dot

On the rage I use:

Federal American eagle
Speer FMJ or TMJ

·
Registered
7,251 Posts

depending on if you’re in the valley, and if so, which side.

I would highly recommend going to AZ Firearms in Avondale. Good people, and they will take the time to talk to you and make sure you get what you need. They closed down their shop for the next few weeks.

Plus side is they are partnered with an auction house (pot of gold) and they get a lot of fun older guns in to take a look at while you’re in there

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Welcome to our insanity...
I mean forum.
All above great advice!
I just wanna put my plug in for the 26. Other than the rail for accessories it is, in my and many others opinions one of the best options for a go to/do it all option pistol, but good luck getting everybody to agree with you on anything here.
And another fun trick, if you want a full grip, just put a 15 round G 19 magazine into it. It’s actually only longer by about the thickness of the base plate compared to a 12 round factory. And they also make magazine covers that will make the grip look and feel more traditional if you want that from people like X-grip.
Here is a couple of fun articles to read about it.

G26

http://amp.dailycaller.com/2013/03/07/massad-ayoob-combat-handguns-vs-snubbies/

http://amp.dailycaller.com/2014/06/02/massad-ayoob-are-long-barreled-handguns-more-accurate/

Enjoy! And remember you can get a Lotta good practicing with Dry Fire. It’ll teach you to point, have better trigger control, handle and draw the weapon more adeptly , and for me it helps train out anticipation of recoil. It’s bad that you don’t get to train with recoil, but ideally you wanna pull the trigger as if there is not going to be any, because if you anticipate recoil, it’ll screw everything up.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Gun Revolver Gun accessory Handgun holster Trigger
Here’s a picture of a factory 12 round magazine in a 26 compared to a 19 which carries the 15 round mags. Keep in mind even though the 15 round magazine is in a 19, the height dimension is still exactly the same.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I have a Steyer 1912 and a box of ammo from WWI.

The box says 9mm (Steyer) parabellum. 9mm x 23 Which of course is bigger and is more like a 38 special.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

it would be cool if Glock made a 9mm parabellum round pistol which would end the .40 vs 9mm cal flame wars once and for all.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,996 Posts
If you can find it and don't reload, Federal aluminum cased ammo is fairly inexpensive at around $9.99/box. I use it in matches where you can't retrieve your cases.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.