·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking.....

12 gauge....
Vs ....
9mm PCC....

Basically I'm between the two....but of the 2 PCCs it was between the extar ep9 and the freedom ordinance fx9. Both seem like a reasonable purchase and both will accept glock mags that I already have due to my G45. You get what you pay for in terms of reliance and customization so not crazy but decent.

After some research I've started to lean towards a maverick 88 due to price and customization options as well. But I'm still a bit torn. The guy first suggested a mossberg 590 with clip priced over $600. Then he suggested a stroeger I believe at $300. Seems like a good enough price per product option.

Well I stopped into a shop today and now im thinking about a CZ Scorpion Evo 3. As of today the base model is almost the same price as the fx9 but seems to offer even better reliance and customization options. It seems the scorpion has a decent following and would allow plenty of options as well as guidance. The one I was looking at was a little over $1000 but came with a 3way adjustable shoulder stock. All 3 scorpions came with basic sights where the ep9 doesn't.

Idk....I'm planning on going back to get the scorpion. Would anyone like to chime in on their experiences with any of the options? Or any advice is also appreciated. Please keep in mind that eventually I will be purchasing both no matter what. As of right now I'm looking at most fun as well as price and home defense option. One of the main points I'm thinking about is the fact that I haven't found a range that I'm able to practice with a shotgun yet. So in that case I'm just buying something that I hope I know how to operate properly as well as teach to my wife. Where as the scorpion I can take to a number of places to practice with easily.

Ok done lol

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Shotgun

Not even a contest

The most flexible firearm in the world

Scorpion? PCC? Cool toys I agree but very limited in role

Every range I know will let you shoot slugs, and 00 buck shot,

·
Registered
697 Posts
There are a few interesting looking shotguns configured like carbines then there are the bullpup designed. I keep finding myself drawn to idea of PCC but can't quite figure out what they're good for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
A ‘gun person’ needs to be well rounded. As an example, a closet full of 9mm handguns doesn’t cut it. So some depends on what you already have.

For a shotgun, I’d keep an eye on local Armslist for used & older. A 60’s or 70’s 870 would be fine, as others.

·
M62/76
12,564 Posts
Shotgun and don’t look back. Like others have mentioned, a used 870 would be a great (and affordable) option.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If it were me I'd go PCC . Mainly because I already own several shotguns (The 870 and 930 are for 3 gun). The 590 A1 with Vang Comp treatment and the KSG with choke tube are for around the house and range fun.

I've been leaning toward a PCC for local matches. It would allow me to shoot two entries without breaking the bank and/or ending the day feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. Several months in a row I ran iron sight heavy metal and iron sights .556/9mm in local 3 gun, and I ain't that good. I was/am single loading off a 10 dollar nylon belt with a 20" 870 with Improved cylinder. Have ran my Mini 14 in factory stock several times. Neither of my rifles has a a red dot. Considering the PCC's you mentioned and also have considered the Sub200 (I'm frugal to a fault) or even a ronin for my Sig 320 (stock trigger no magwell when I run it). I do like the AR-9's and the Scorpion. Haven't shot an AR-9 but have shot a box stock Scoprion and the trigger was worse than both of the Hi-Point carbines I owned. LOL. Can be upgraded, but that's another expense right off the bat. Let us know what you decide. I've considered the Extar as well. I've held the pistol and liked it a lot.

Sorry for the long winded ramble.

I vote PCC. I'll bet your wife will like it a whole lot better than the 12 guage.

PM me if you want to talk mag fed shotguns. My Black Aces 590 conversion has been at my dealer for several years. They sold it and the guy brought it back in to see if he could resell it to make more cash. Doubt it...

GregB

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
For fun, I'd take the Scorpion all day long. I'd also take it for home protection. Mine is in the safe, and my shotgun is always lying around, but that's because the shotgun is cheap and I'm not going to be out much if I'm burglarized.
As others have stated, the stock trigger on the CZ sucks, but HB Industries has a very cheap and easy fix.
Mine is registered as an SBR, I have an MRO sight on it and an Osprey suppressor. It's very fast and easy to shoot. The only negative I've got with it is that it gets dirty fast. Blowback 9mm SBR's do that.
I've heard people call PCC's toys, but tell that to the US Army, along with countless law enforcement agencies.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
So I've been thinking.....

12 gauge....
Vs ....
9mm PCC....

Basically I'm between the two....but of the 2 PCCs it was between the extar ep9 and the freedom ordinance fx9. Both seem like a reasonable purchase and both will accept glock mags that I already have due to my G45. You get what you pay for in terms of reliance and customization so not crazy but decent.

After some research I've started to lean towards a maverick 88 due to price and customization options as well. But I'm still a bit torn. The guy first suggested a mossberg 590 with clip priced over $600. Then he suggested a stroeger I believe at $300. Seems like a good enough price per product option.

Well I stopped into a shop today and now im thinking about a CZ Scorpion Evo 3. As of today the base model is almost the same price as the fx9 but seems to offer even better reliance and customization options. It seems the scorpion has a decent following and would allow plenty of options as well as guidance. The one I was looking at was a little over $1000 but came with a 3way adjustable shoulder stock. All 3 scorpions came with basic sights where the ep9 doesn't.

Idk....I'm planning on going back to get the scorpion. Would anyone like to chime in on their experiences with any of the options? Or any advice is also appreciated. Please keep in mind that eventually I will be purchasing both no matter what. As of right now I'm looking at most fun as well as price and home defense option. One of the main points I'm thinking about is the fact that I haven't found a range that I'm able to practice with a shotgun yet. So in that case I'm just buying something that I hope I know how to operate properly as well as teach to my wife. Where as the scorpion I can take to a number of places to practice with easily.

Ok done lol
With everything you've outlined I'd say the CZ Scorpion would be the best bet. While significantly more expensive than a 12 gauge pump, you mentioned access to training/range time, fun and teaching your wife. Those three things seem to be better accomplished with the PCC than the shotgun. In my experience the shotgun is fun and a powerful HD tool, but my wife would not enjoy it and would be intimidated by the recoil and action.

·
Private side
11,594 Posts
I’d go shotgun before PCC because:
Flexibility of use
Power
Ammo availability and variety
Simplicity

You mentioned customizing your shotgun; what does that mean to you? You might consider an H&R copy of the Remington 870 if your budget is tight. Locally found for 219 NIB.

A PCC makes sense using same ammo and mags, but if you can get a rifle cartridge in a similar package, eh......... I have a PCC. It’s a Colt 16” but I like it because it is, mostly, a training gun for low noise days and new shooters or to generate brass for reloading.

Reactions: anjroid86

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Depends on where you can shoot it. If you have a nearby trap/skeet range getting the shotgun will be fun. But if you can only shoot the shotgun at paper targets at an indoor range that will be boring. A 9mm AR can be shot at indoor and outdoor ranges.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the awesome feedback everyone! Originally when going to purchase the cz I was gonna do a layaway thing.... turns out I decided to just buy it today instead of waiting. And now I'll have something fun to play with for my birthday.
Please ignore my 3year old's clothes and fairy wings. She doesn't always clean up after herself lol.
So I was going to get a red dot and some extra mags and a bag and few other goodies.....but decided to stick with just the sling&attachment and was able to pick up another 250 rounds. Not quite sure how I feel about this stock just yet but only time will tell.
20200428_131158.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts