close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New gun; pre-owned; cleaning question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jlc767, Mar 1, 2010.

1. jlc767

jlc767

Hey, guys!

I picked up my first gun on Saturday, a Glock 21 OD. Now, question for the forum: it was a consignment purchase, so I know that the gun was test-fired by the store, but do you guys think I should give it a thorough cleaning before I take it to the range? I would reckon that they don't clean guns after they test fire them, but I could be wrong.

Also, I matched up the serial through the sticky thread on this forum and the gun was made in 2005. This thing looks brand new. So, yeah, it's definitely been around a few years.

I just want to make sure that if I need to clean it and prep it before I take it to the range -- that I do it.

Thanks!

2. SnowOxx

SnowOxx

Id say field strip it at least to make sure things are all good, and clean if necessary.

3. jlc767

jlc767

Good enough. Thanks.

4. wingspar

wingspar

Yes, field strip it and make sure there are no obstructions, then go shoot it. Glocks are famous for not needing a lot of care in the cleaning department. If it was me, since it was used, I’d probably clean it first, just cause that’s me, but you should be good to go as is. Look for hickock45 videos on YouTube on Glocks.

5. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

I'd assume it was ignored and neglected its entire life because as with any used machine, that is often the case.
    Strip and hose it down with brake cleaner, wipe off the crevices with q-tips while still wet and marvel at how dirty they get. clean the barrel (and inspect inside). Lube.

6. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Because it's a used gun, and there's the risk that it was taken apart by someone who didn't put it back together properly or left it full of dirt, I'd say strip it and inspect it well before shooting it.

Especially make it a point to detail strip the slide, and make sure it hasn't been squirted full of oil in all the places where there isn't supposed to be any oil. The soot from firing will gum up the extractor & firing pin if this stuff isn't dry & free of oil. Guns left in storage, (or put in the box for the last time by it's previous owner) often get oil squirted in places where they normally wouldn't get it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  7. jlc767

jlc767

Ok. I will attempt to clean it this weekend. I've field-stripped it, but I haven't dissected anything beyond removing the slide (and guide rod / spring). Hopefully, it won't be too hard. Thanks, everyone :)

8. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

I bought my 17 used. Lightly used. But I still got it home & detailed striped it & cleaned out the FPC & then lubed the areas required & then had my fun with it.
    Takes less then 30 minutes. Why not do it? Do it while watching TV.